Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    Just hypothetically... if we as a society decided that a certain religion (lets say Islam as that is the most prevalent these days) was decided to be damaging to the fabric of society... would all Muslims be considered mentally ill?
    Probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    Ive seen alot of "harmfull to one self" responses. What about society? Dont alot of these things have a negative impact on society? And shoulnd they therefor be labeled as one?
    A lot of conditions are harmful. Psychotics or sociopaths are known to abuse or murder. Depression prevents people from forming proper home and work relationships and can lead to things like suicide. Schizophrenia can lead to public disturbances and physical altercations.

Those would be mental illnesses. Their cause could be completely psychological or brought on by a physiological change.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    This makes no sense, but maybe your quotes denote that phrase being used in a sinister way? They should still be considered mental illness - just validated on physical grounds.
    Don't want to get too much into what i meant, as it approaches the forbidden topic area, but if a 'mental illness' has a physical reason/cause and is not detrimental to oneself/society then it shouldn't be classified as a mental illness. At least, not in the sense that it should be something shunned and treated to be 'cured'.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    When society decides that the behavior is no longer damaging to the fabric of said society.
    Which puts this definition into the realm of cultural subjectivity. That seems dangerous to me, but it might be the best we can do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Which puts this definition into the realm of cultural subjectivity. That seems dangerous to me, but it might be the best we can do.
    A small portion of mental illness is subject to cultural norms. Homosexuality, for instance, was considered a treatable mental illness just 40 years ago. It still is in places around the world. There are even older examples if you take the time to search for them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    A small portion of mental illness is subject to cultural norms. Homosexuality, for instance, was considered a treatable mental illness just 40 years ago. It still is in places around the world. There are even older examples if you take the time to search for them.
    Yeah. Well, it was in the past at least. But an objectivist might say that homosexuality was never really a mental disorder, rather the culture was simply wrong. How do we distinguish between the culture being wrong, and true mental disorders? I think that's the question being asked here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just observing. Its a bit cold but its just rational thinking. It makes 0 sense for some things to be mental disorders and others not.
    Kind of a short sighted response: "I FEEL OFFENDED."

Answer me this then:
    Why is one thing called a mental ilness while exactly the same thing just slightly different isnt?
    Whats the difference?

If you can u can be offended.
    It's an oxymoron to call something "exactly the same thing just slightly different"

The difference has already been spelled out by all the other posters in this thread.

So while you might call me "offended," I'm actually just revealing your ignorance. So please take this opportunity to learn that you can open a discussion without immediately belittling the people who might be able to give you insight into the topic you want to know about.

7+ Year Old Account
    Stealth bashing opening post.

But mental illness seems to relate to damaging ones ability to function properly or interact with others. Depression, certain personality disorders, they negatively impact the persons ability to exist. Other defects interfere with ones ability to interact with other.

Some culture involved as well. It also has questions regarding the ability to tell right from wrong in certain circumstances.

For instance:
    - Someone hearing voices is bad. Having imaginary friends borders schizophrenia. But 5 billion people having collective believe in a sky-creature its called religion.

Seriously? And shame on the mods for ignoring this

Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    Don't want to get too much into what i meant, as it approaches the forbidden topic area, but if a 'mental illness' has a physical reason/cause and is not detrimental to oneself/society then it shouldn't be classified as a mental illness. At least, not in the sense that it should be something shunned and treated to be 'cured'.
    Yeah I vaguely mentioned that earlier about a necessary criterion being significant harm to oneself or others. I think I almost know what you're talking about, so I think I understand.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    It's a valid question. If those people really did believe they heard voices of god, they'd be one tick closer to schizophrenia. I don't think the vast majority of them do hear anything though.

7+ Year Old Account
    Just do what I do. Don't have expectations.

Happier life.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Yeah I vaguely mentioned that earlier about a necessary criterion being significant harm to oneself or others. I think I almost know what you're talking about, so I think I understand.

- - - Updated - - -

It's a valid question. If those people really did believe they heard voices of god, they'd be one tick closer to schizophrenia. I don't think the vast majority of them do hear anything though.
    If you can't tell the difference between a physical disorder that makes you hear things, vs a belief of something greater than you, then you probably wouldn't understand the answer to begin with. They are nothing alike, its just an attempt to bash people who are spiritual.

Does a child who believes in Santa have a mental disorder? I had no fucking clue it was the same as someone who hears voices in their head

15+ Year Old Account
    If you can't tell the difference between a physical disorder that makes you hear things, vs a belief of something greater than you, then you probably wouldn't understand the answer to begin with. They are nothing alike, its just an attempt to bash people who are spiritual.

Does a child who believes in Santa have a mental disorder? I had no fucking clue it was the same as someone who hears voices in their head
    Some people say they talk to god and hears god. "God told me..."

It's those people they're talking about. If they truly hear a voice, regardless of they call it god or something else, that's an indication of mental illness.

10+ Year Old Account
    One of the easiest ways to classify something as a disorder is when it is statistically infrequent.

Using this method however becomes quite interesting when we consider ADHD for example as it's diagnosis is becoming increasingly prevalent, can it still be considered to be statistically infrequent?

Another method is to look at pathology perhaps of the brain for example, this certainly can help to identify and diagnose disorders which typically present with non-typical physiology. Again this is all to do with those whose physiology is different to most.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Some people say they talk to god and hears god. "God told me..."

It's those people they're talking about. If they truly hear a voice, regardless of they call it god or something else, that's an indication of mental illness.
    You do realize people who say they hear God, do not mean it in a literal sense?

15+ Year Old Account
    You do realize people who say they hear God, do not mean it in a literal sense?
    I'll take your word for it, on behalf of billions of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    I'll take your word for it, on behalf of billions of people.
    Being that Atheist are a minority, I think most will believe me

Being that Atheist are a minority, I think most will believe me
    I believe it might be worth investigating whether the inability of Internet atheists to refrain from bashing religion any chance they get might constitute a form of mental illness.

10+ Year Old Account

Unfortunately doublethink is not classifiable as a mental disorder.

That aside, 'atypical' behaviours are generally only classified as disorderly when they pose an undue barrier to accomplishing tasks necessary for living.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    When people say they're "higher functioning". It's has to be a problem to be a mental illness in my opinion. "illness" connotes a problem.
    I think that this is about as accurate as you can get without taking the microscope out and really breaking it down to the point of confusion. I would agree and say that it is a MENTAL ILLNESS when it causes problems for people around the said 'ill' person. Just because people believe in an all knowing entity with no proof it exists doesn't really cause any issues. It only would cause issues if you then got to the point of zealotry and wanted everyone around you to believe in the same thing and took extreme measures to ensure that happened (similar to how EXTREME religious groups work, think Muslim terrorists and the KKK).

Basically if it is causing problems for others or can potentially harm others then it would be a 'real' mental illness. Even though you and I know millions of people live with depression, we don't label that entire group or call them out because it is a personal issue that doesn't have an effect on anyone else.

10+ Year Old Account
    On closer review, the OP has too many thinly veiled forbidden topics for this to lead to production discussion. CLOSED