Thread: rude cashier

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Because it's fun to point out the hypocrisy in people
    I guess so. Once in a while I leave a troll joke on the forum and watch how people choose to get offended in order to appear to others as a "good" person, as opposed to me being a "bad" one.

as a cashier i love it when people argue with me about things i can or cant do when the machine im using litterally does not have the ability to do what they are demanding.
    lady yesturday was pissed and yelling at me because she has "used both her rewards cars for gas at the same time before!" machine can only use one at a time, store has had the same machines for over 8 years, no, they fucking cant.
    i could give so many examples of customers who piss me off, which has lingering effects on my patience and personality for the rest of the day.

Oh no! A cashier wasn't nice to me!

You showed him OP. Put the guy in his place for not pretending hard enough to give a damn about you.

WAaaaaaaaah the poor person isnt showing me complete deference and respect

waaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Quote Originally Posted by Suggs View Post
    You do know probably at a whack guess off top of me head 50% or more of the internet is full of shit no one wants to know about...?
    1 more thread aint gonna hurt!

On topic, never really met a rude cashier, only miserable looking ones.
    Worst thing for me is when you get some right wierdos on the checkouts... i cant help but laugh Im a fucker for laughing at peoples misfortunes. (Not disabilities before anyone wonders)
    just know cashiers do the same thing behind your back.
    saw a black lady with the skin desiease that made patches of her go white, only it was all over... resembled a cow... we made mooing noises and laughed our asses off the rest of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Daethz View Post
    fortunately my boss would not fire me if i got into a yelling match with a customer, because my coworkers and he himself have.
    Aren't yelling matches the wrong way of resolving things? Especially if you work in a place that has customers. Some people can't be reasoned with, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    If you were as rude to him IRL as your posted interaction then you're just as guilty as he is. Being a jackass to a jackass doesn't make you any better. My guess is you're embellishing to seem like a tough guy like most people do.
    *shrug* I was always taught to treat people the way I'd like to be treated. I wouldn't treat someone that way over something so insignificant - and that is where the problem is.

If I wouldn't do it, there is no reason why you should.

I have worked in jobs that required a cool head. I used to deliver party supplies and one time had a lady call and call me a fucking retard for driving past her residence. We got to talking, she apologized. Everything worked out and I ended up buying their car they had for sale. And I love that car.

So really I'm not convinced that what I did was wrong even though obviously it was not very nice. Like dude I'm just buying some groceries. It's 10 degrees outside and the weather is bad. I want to go home as much as he does.

Like dude if I really wanted to be a dick, I'd bring a bunch of stuff to the register and act like I didn't have enough money to buy it after they ring it up and say I had to take some things out then try to check out with a card that would decline and just walk out, buying nothing. I mean, I could do that if I really wanted to and there isn't anything he could do about it besides stay longer for work to put all that shit back in the frozen foods section.

Sounds like you would make a post 3 times longer if you had to deal with me.
    lol i live under a bridge

we can be friends or we can be enemies but it's just so much easier to be friends

If the card machine asked for an account number then I would immediately stop using it and contact management or the card machine provider for advice.

PIN number - This irks me me on a personal level think about it.
    it didnt go through so im not worried about it but ? i usually just put in my pin number and dont have to sign anything

its usually credit receipts you have to sign. but i dont get what you're getting at

also don't fuck with people close to a stores closing, they want to go the hell home.

fortunately my boss would not fire me if i got into a yelling match with a customer, because my coworkers and he himself have.
    I didn't fuck with anyone. I literally just rung up a box of cheezits and asked for some camel crush menthols and when I tried to check out I was stumped by the card swiper doing something it's never done and the guy and acted very agitated. last time i was there i just wanted to get some real food instead of going to 7-Eleven and this guy is just cursing under his breath.

my advice is to find a different job if that's how you feel about being a cashier.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sorry, but one rude cashier doesn't seem like a news worthy of a new thread to me. We all meet rude people from time to time; no point trying to understand their logic, better ignore it and go on with your day.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's why the self checkout is your friend. I am easily annoyed by cashiers so I avoid them. It's not really the cashiers, it's me. I don't even like shopping in stores that don't have self check out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    The cashier is immature, but what about the person who makes a long post whining about such a trivial thing on the internet nobody else really wants to know about?

Ironic.
    Your maturity is apparently so far above the rest of us. Teach us, oh wise master.

Just to abate your ignorance, there are ENTIRE WEBSITES where people vent about this exact sort of thing, and they get posts by the thousands per minute. While this thread may or may not belong here, it isn't something uncommon.

OP, I have to hand it to you, at least you didn't just ask for his manager and try to get him fired on the spot. Props to you. And you're probably right, he may not want to be there in the first place. At this point you have three choices - don't deal with him again, if you do and he gives you lip again, tell him you're going to report him, or just straight up report him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

the guys probably done, like mentally checked out at his job. it means he doesnt care about helping the customers anymore really or being an asset to the store, he just wants the paycheck and most likely will be fired for something else.

It's really hard to say without knowing all the details. What if he knows he's about to get fired from his job? What about if the cashier has found a new job and he's given two weeks notice and he doesn't care anymore? Who knows?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    If you see a topic you don't want to discuss, then don't.

Damn I know, it's like rocket science.
    You know what else is rocket science? The fact that sometimes, people are rude. Doesn't mean we need a blog about it, from you or anyone else.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    If you see a topic you don't want to discuss, then don't.

Damn I know, it's like rocket science.
    Yet, you wonder why people are rude to you? Mystery solved.

so sometimes i stop at my local grocery store a little close to closing. recently, there has been this cashier at closing who is very rude. the last time i was in there, the manager was standing right beside everyone at the desk and this kid was cussing under his breath.

today I ran my card and it usually prompts me for my PIN number immediately after swiping my card but today it was asking me for an account number. This has never happened at any store I have ever visited in the 10 some years that I have owned a bank card. when i asked what was up with the machine, the guy got frustrated and basically treated me like an idiot. like, this is the first thing he did. there was no effort to explain it. there was no, oh the machines a little weird today or this one is different it was just "what did you run it as? credit? then hit credit." like duh. after that he rolled his eyes and let out the kind of sigh you do when you are disappointed in someone.

Just. Like. That.

So straight up I told him every time I am in here he is rude as fuck asked him what his problem was because we were going to have one if he kept acting like that and that he better get his shit straight. Kid looked like a deer caught in the headlights. I sat there and gave him a chance to say something while I looked him dead in the eye. Didn't say anything.

I don't want the kid to lose his job because at the end of the day we all need money and I'm just trying to get some groceries. But idk what the point of this thread is. I guess I'm just kind of annoyed. Like, I feel like I handled things the way I wanted to, but it's just kind of falling short of satisfaction.

I let it go last time because I did come in very late and I was the only person in the store and he probably already had his drawer counted so I could sympathize a little bit. But today there were like 5 other people in the store. Should I report him? I don't want to, but every time I see him there I can see it in his body language and the tone of his voice. He doesn't even want to be there. Yeah, that's normal when you're that close to getting off. What's not normal is that he isn't even trying to hide it.

Might be better to make a job opening for somebody else.
    I used to work as a waiter in college and sometimes I would get these super rude people and it would really piss me off. Then a manager pointed out to me that, it's a big world and you could be catching that person on the worst day of their life. Maybe they are going through a divorce, or maybe they just got fired, or a loved one just died. The point was, don't take it personal, nobody is on their best behavior at all times. He said I should give them the benefit of the doubt and just try to be nice. Then he said, if they come back next time and act the same way, put a booger in their food.

I dont know about having bad days, mine were always eventful when I was a cashier at Kroger. There was always this huge black dude about 6'7" 300lb plus that came in wearing a dress and had a little tiny pink hand bag for a purse. I found myself smiling quite a lot while I worked there. but thats been over 22 years ago.

I think you might have scared him enough with your last confrontation.

I wouldn't worry or stress over it, in reality you cannot change other people. The only thing that you can change is how you perceive and interact with them.

If he continues to act like an ungrateful little shit the next time you go in to that store, then report him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, as a cashier at a grocery store myself, I can understand the built up frustration by the end of the night. Doesn't excuse the rudeness, but sometimes it's just one of those days where every single customer seems to forget how to pay, or is on their phone not paying attention when you're asking them questions (the list of shitty annoying things customers do goes on and on). I often try to put myself into their shoes though, which isn't at all difficult because we're all customers.

Weird about the account number thing though, never seen that before. Do you go to this store regularly and is this the first time it's popped up like that? If so it was either a glitch and they should've been aware of it by then, or it's the new setup, in which they definitely should've been aware of it. I curse under my breath all the time but I look away and keep it to a murmur for that little bit of catharsis. Though I have a coworker who just doesn't get social cues very well and does not put off a very friendly demeanor at all. He has received more customer (and employee!) complaints than anyone in the store and yet he still has his job. I personally don't think he belongs in retail at all; as he's quite good with computers and would do better in a technical or office job. But hey, he's protected by the mafi- union, so what can I do?

TL;DR - Customers suck, but so do bad employees.
    It's pronounced "Dur-av-ian."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    You know what else is rocket science? The fact that sometimes, people are rude. Doesn't mean we need a blog about it, from you or anyone else.
    Can you not see all of the people weighing in with their opinions or sympathies on the matter? The topic is being discussed and people are telling me their stories. That's kind of what people do when you talk about something important to you

I think you might have scared him enough with your last confrontation.
    Right? lol. It just kind of came out like that. I just couldn't believe it. I've just never had anyone ever act so rude and discourteous as a cashier. I mean I've had some pretty shitty customers in my time as a Pizza Boy. Sometimes you have the people who make it a process to get done with the day and its a bit of a pain and I can handle that, but then there are the people who make you loosen your grip on reality to ball up a haymaker.

One time I had a guy who ordered a Pizza and neglected to mention I was delivering to an abandoned business building and I assumed I was delivering to a residence. When I got there after having to call him he complained that our drivers always fucked up the delivery and called me a dope smoking retard. Like dude I was so furious I gave this guy a dollar off on his pizza because I didn't give a shit about the change. I was just trying to deliver his pizza.

and its like man if we always fuck it up maybe you could say you live out of the back of an abandoned shop with no numbers on the front of the building. the only one losing here is you!

10+ Year Old Account
    Cashiers are often only paid up to the store closing time. If you're pissing about coming in at closing, you're starting to step on their time. Also, having done it for years, I can wholly sympathise with their getting pissy with customers; especially if, as sounds, you have a habit of being that guy that makes them late out every night.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Suggs View Post
    You do know probably at a whack guess off top of me head 50% or more of the internet is full of shit no one wants to know about...?
    1 more thread aint gonna hurt!

On topic, never really met a rude cashier, only miserable looking ones.
    Worst thing for me is when you get some right wierdos on the checkouts... i cant help but laugh Im a fucker for laughing at peoples misfortunes. (Not disabilities before anyone wonders)
    I was going to say something about 'at least they have a job', but on the other hand having been that side of the till I've seen pretty much everything and laughed at it too. Maybe you were one of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Archon14 View Post
    Aren't yelling matches the wrong way of resolving things? Especially if you work in a place that has customers. Some people can't be reasoned with, though.
    Got into a shouting match with some kid who wanted to buy some cigarettes (clearly not 18); turned out he was there with his mum and she physically dragged him out the store.