Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    What? Nintendo did this all the time in the 80's

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

But hey, why bother to check when you can just make assumptions that support your argument : D
    I guess because this is not something important whatsoever to that person, and to anyone else who realizes this is just some stuff from a video game.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    And two fucks weren't given on this day.

Have yet to see 1 person's credible translation of how this actually go's down in the Japanese version.

Let's not even take a random reddit user putting shit in google translate seriously, translating Japanese is not simple in the least and many things need to be drastically altered to get the same point across in other languages.

Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    Nothing about that supports what sarahtasher was saying, it actually makes it worse.
    Agreed.

That article read like it had to do some mental gymnastics around the character's potential sexuality to justify labeling her as heterosexual, so it could then go on to make the claim that it wasn't a gay conversion situation because she was some how never gay, despite saying things like they were attracted to cute girls and initially becoming attracted to the player character when she thinks said player character is a woman.

Of course, that assumes the translation carried the whole meaning of the conversation in the first place.
    Last edited by Berethos08; 2016-01-22 at 12:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    I have a feeling that we won't bee seing a lot of that righteous indignation over sensurship from the "Gamergate" clowns in this case.
    Sorry to blow your mind, but a lot of us aren't giant hypocrites who only protest stuff we like. *coughs*

This censorship was just as stupid as the others that have been happening lately.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Have you looked in any of the places where those folks chat? Because I just poked around 1-2 of them and there was plenty of discussion about it and it seemed folks were unhappy with the change and voicing their disagreement.

But hey, why bother to check when you can just make assumptions that support your argument : D
    Why bother to actually investigate your own claim when you can just strawman and keep your bubble in tact. The biggest places where people who support GG actually are pretty overwhelmingly against it.

The only thing people are asking for is the actual thing that is being censored vs somebody just saying "Oh yeah it's happening." Because why actually have to verify something?

But we all know how insanely biased you are to anything even remotely related to that topic.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2016-01-22 at 12:48 AM.

from what i had understood it wasnt gay conversion but more that she didnt CARE that corrin was male and loved him for who he was so it was more of a pansexual type thing than gay conversion.

wouldnt be any different then a guy dating an ugly chick because of her personality
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    This censorship was just as stupid as the others that have been happening lately.
    Not really a "lately" thing.

Changes made in localization have been going on for years. Sometimes it's because the group doing the localization believe it will be an offensive thing for the different audience, despite not being offensive for the original audience. Sometimes it's because whatever the original had doesn't work in the new audience when trying to do the same thing.

Haurchefant from FFXIV is a good recent example though - the overall intent of working with that character is he's supposed to be a positive character for the players. In Japan, the "loveable debauchee" is a character type that fits that bill. Here in the States, we generally don't have that type of character as a positive, and instead it's often portrayed as a negative thing and part of a character being creepy.

If they wanted the character to be likable, they couldn't very well keep him as a character type that's not generally seen as likable.

So yeah, sometimes it's censorship because people over here get offended (which is sometimes justified, sometimes not). Sometimes, it's not censorship but rather a change made to better fit the original intent behind the character in both countries, while not portraying said character (or situation/experience) the same way.

10+ Year Old Account
    What an awkward scene. Good on Nintendo for this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Humans Paladins don't have "a lot of lore" behind them.

Not really a "lately" thing.
    I mean lately in terms of there was a crop of 4-5 things that happened all around the same time at the end of last year/beginning of this.

There's always localization teams removing stuff, of course. Not that it makes it ok. I take it in a case-by-case basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Berethos08 View Post
    Agreed.

That article read like it had to do some mental gymnastics around the character's potential sexuality to justify labeling her as heterosexual, so it could then go on to make the claim that it wasn't a gay conversion situation because she was some how never gay, despite saying things like they were attracted to cute girls and initially becoming attracted to the player character when she thinks said player character is a woman.

Of course, that assumes the translation carried the whole meaning of the conversation in the first place.
    No mental gymnastics are required to prove the character isn't gay. She can only be romantically paired with men, regardless of the player's actions, and you can't romance her as a female character.

What you think is trying to justify her sexuality is just explaining the differences between Japanese and western culture.

It honestly sounded like a stupid scene based on the article. A potion that reverses everyone's gender perspective? What? Doesn't sound something I'd normally see in Fire Emblem.

Quote Originally Posted by Touch of Anarchy View Post
    The article you linked by the way includes something into a game because of a specific group. (Now, I'm not exactly for or against said "group", but the point is related to you saying how we've lost years and years of content)
    They portrayed a female villain (poison) as being male because 'you can't hit girls'... in a beat'em'up. The point is the same; it is a double standard. (And yes, that last paragraph was a dramatization).

Losing this sort of plot where a character is basically drugging someone for love is not going to have any effect on the value of this game.
    I don't disagree but it sets a precedent that not every game publisher is going to want to deal with regularly. It likely cost Nintendo a lot of money to have to recall Mario Party 8 from the UK back in 2008 because 'random outrage of the week', fortunately they could absorb the costs.

Smaller or niche publishers with a more precarious foothold on the market, on the other hand, might not want to bother and so I do think that we are losing potentially interesting games partially because we make a business model out of political outrage.

Victor Ireland of Working Designs has said it himself; "Japanese publishers hate risks".

Inb4 the FF7 Cloud crossdressing stuff that's been out for 20 years turns into a 'new' controversy.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatsbybutters View Post
    Whew, that's quite a stretch. Seems like the writers wanted to make interesting characters in a fantasy setting to me. That magic powder drug thing is pretty funny though, my cousin was watching the wiggles one day and they drank magic powder to fly to space and play music DID YOU GUYS HEAR THE WIGGLES DID LSD DRUG TRIP EPISODE GUYS WHERES THE OUTRAGE?!

kek. kek to the whole thing.
    "A drug that changes your sexual orientation is a bit of a stretch for a drug that changes your sexual orientation."

Ok guy.

"Guys, just because an apple is an apple doesn't mean it's an apple."
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    No mental gymnastics are required to prove the character isn't gay. She can only be romantically paired with men, regardless of the player's actions, and you can't romance her as a female character.

What you think is trying to justify her sexuality is just explaining the differences between Japanese and western culture.
    That article linked to some translations, so I'm going to assume they based their judgment of the character on those translations...

Well...

FOLEO: Then are boys unacceptable? As, um... romantic partners...?

SOLEIL: I wouldn't say unacceptable, but girls are preferable by far. I mean, like, boys don't have any beauty, right? Looking at them doesn't get me all fired up.

Yeah, clearly she's hetero and it's just a cultural misunderstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by damajin View Post
    Inb4 the FF7 Cloud crossdressing stuff that's been out for 20 years turns into a 'new' controversy.
    There was already talks of this.

Can't happen to offend some imaginary group who might be upset that Cloud cross-dressed for a small segment.

Quote Originally Posted by Berethos08 View Post
    That article linked to some translations, so I'm going to assume they based their judgment of the character on those translations...

Well...

FOLEO: Then are boys unacceptable? As, um... romantic partners...?

SOLEIL: I wouldn't say unacceptable, but girls are preferable by far. I mean, like, boys don't have any beauty, right? Looking at them doesn't get me all fired up.

Yeah, clearly she's hetero and it's just a cultural misunderstanding.
    So you've chosen to dive headlong into ignoring anything that doesn't confirm your preconceived notions, eh?

Like how that conversation string ends...

BTW, which version is the more complete of the two ? The black or the white one ?

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    It honestly sounded like a stupid scene based on the article. A potion that reverses everyone's gender perspective? What? Doesn't sound something I'd normally see in Fire Emblem.
    Exactly my view on this honestly. It sounds way too out there even, there's better ways they could of done this.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    BTW, which version is the more complete of the two ? The black or the white one ?
    They're different stories, there is no "more complete".