Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    No outages due to Blizzards but strong rain can knock out our power for a few hours. If it's a hot day then I'll leave the house and go do something, if it's cold I'll stay in and read books or play guitar.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whenever we lose power here, I usually just put on Netflix or Hulu on my phone and try to relax. I have Tinnitus so I CANNOT do dead silence.
    Follow my journey to the bodybuilding stage! www.instagram.com/tbatcho07
    Musclemeds - Warrior - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...clemeds/simple

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    A country boy can survive such things. I have natural gas and vent free gas fireplace, plus one in the basement. Also a spring for water which is gravity fed to the basement. And generator which I keep 10 gallons of gas in storage in case of a outage. We were without electric service once for 8 days. And we keep enough food stores on hand we can survive well for 2 weeks min. It was no big deal for us.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'd mostly be worried about heat. Having nothing to do without power might suck, but keeping warm in front of a fire is better than being miserable and cold with nothing to do. If you have a fireplace, I'd go chop some wood and get a few books ready.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    I'd mostly be worried about heat. Having nothing to do without power might suck, but keeping warm in front of a fire is better than being miserable and cold with nothing to do. If you have a fireplace, I'd go chop some wood and get a few books ready.
    The typical fireplace is not as good as some think. For one, they will burn up a lot of wood in a hurry. And another is the chimney will actually suck the heat out of the house. What heat you do get is radiant. I know people who tried to use one during the nasty 1978 blizzard we had here in Ohio. They said it sucked big time. Better than nothing of course. But the best option if you are going to use wood to heat is a airtight wood burner. And keep in mind the old fireplaces of 200 years ago where huge and had a lot of stone work around it inside the room which would heat up and do more heating than what we have now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    The typical fireplace is not as good as some think. For one, they will burn up a lot of wood in a hurry. And another is the chimney will actually suck the heat out of the house. What heat you do get is radiant. I know people who tried to use one during the nasty 1978 blizzard we had here in Ohio. They said it sucked big time. Better than nothing of course. But the best option if you are going to use wood to heat is a airtight wood burner. And keep in mind the old fireplaces of 200 years ago where huge and had a lot of stone work around it inside the room which would heat up and do more heating than what we have now.
    My mom has a fire place and I just got her a full truckload of wood last week. She also has a kerosene heater so I think shes fine. For me, if power goes out im just gonna bundle up. I can last 2 days without heat. We just turned our heat on a week ago lol.

7+ Year Old Account
    We usually get the tail end of whatever bad weather you guys get. If the worst happens here with a blackout, then its reading listening to battery radio, burrowing under the duvet for heat and sleeping I guess. Of course, the whole area here grinds to a halt if we have anything more than a light drizzle, let alone a snowstorm; same areas flood, same poor drainage, etc etc...

Either way, with lots of love and respect, I'd rather you kept your snow storm over there but on a more serious note, I hope you all stay well and safe