10+ Year Old Account

Kaspersky internet security 2016...

how do you rate that piece of software in terms of protection and weight on win 10 overall, especially when playing games ( WoW)? I know kaspersky have some gaming mode, but really would like to see some opinions from first hand...

thx and cheers!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't? When was the last time you got a virus? Windows 10 already comes with very aggressive anti-virus software. If you use an ad-blocker then you should be mostly safe.

Adblock, Noscript, and Ghostery(if you want), you really don't need to bother with anything else, scanners, sure, just in case, but, you don't really need active protection anything.

Internet Security software is one of those things that is pretty much meaningless at this point. Watch what you click and download, you'll be fine.

I actually rate kapersky as one of the better software's for this. That said, I still would not pay for any security software as they are pretty much worthless. It's like having the fastest tractor at the tractor pull, nobody cares except the other people stupid enough to participate in the tractor pull.

AVG/Avira and Malwarebytes have free versions which are more then fine.

Malwarebytes Pro, its like 29 bucks a year.

/thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I feel bad for all those 'protesters' at the Trump rally, it's like the real life equivalent of making a 40 man raid in WoW and not having the boss spawn, thereby denying them a chance at looting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    That's a nonsense argument that ignores what words mean.

The last time I had to interact with that software was fixing the damaged caused by its installation.

Quote Originally Posted by Luxxor View Post
    Malwarebytes Pro, its like 29 bucks a year.

/thread
    Spending any money at all on these types of software is dumb.

/thread

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Spending any money at all on these types of software is dumb.

/thread
    IT Professionals disagree. Please provide program that is free with real time monitoring and scheduled scans.

Bonus laughs if its a Norton or Mcafee piece of freeware.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I feel bad for all those 'protesters' at the Trump rally, it's like the real life equivalent of making a 40 man raid in WoW and not having the boss spawn, thereby denying them a chance at looting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    That's a nonsense argument that ignores what words mean.

Kaspersky Internet securtiy is pretty good for ppl that arent internet savy and aware of "safe navigation"

For the rest of us, the usual browser addons like ad blockers, no-script etc. are good enough I recomend Malwarebytes to scan the odd zip file, and if you dont want to install anything there is always the site Virus Total, where one can update a exe file and the site will scan it against its big list of AVs

I use Avira. It's free. It's effective. It's fine enough.

- - - Updated - - -

IT Professionals disagree. Please provide program that is free with real time monitoring and scheduled scans.

Avira Free is doing the job just fine. I didn't have any issue in last decade.

Those IT Professionals will disagree because they make money when they sell you the software. Also, in the case of a business, they can not control the browsing habits of all the employees, so it's better to have something there, even if you already have a hardware firewall. I know several IT Professionals, and while yes, they do recommend software to other users, they do not actually use it themselves, because they know how to browse safely.

I haven't used kaspersky for many years. I remember many users eventually locking themselves out of their system/software due to not understanding how to answer the learning firewall. someone would click on IE to get to the internet and get a popup asking if they want to allow iexplorer.exe access to the internet. Paranoid users would say no...

Avira and Avast are ok and fine for most people, especially if no one really visits adult or "free game" sites.

Kaspersky has high marks still, but I tend to stick with ESET and it's extremely low overhead.

McAfee is a joke. Norton isn't as bad, but it has that overhead problem.

Malwarebytes scanner is great for when there is a problem. Their active pain protection is similar to the freebie avast/avira.

IT professionals like you to have an AV/netsec because the average user will press "OK" to get a screen to close, when they could be installing a bad file. There are other ways to help protect yourself, but will create annoyances. Such as running a user account, so things that want to run have to ask for permission, if you haven't granted it before.