Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    As a JRPG fan I've never heard of this series... o.O

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    You're in for a treat if you decide to give it a shot Start with Trails in the Sky & work your way forward from there.

Start with either Trails in the Sky, or Trails of Cold Steel 1, and then play their sequels. Whichever appeals to you the most. I'd personally recommend ToCS1. Sky has pacing problems where the first 20 hours are meh, the combat system is really rough, and most of the sidequests are meh. (Make no mistake: I quite like Sky, I just don't think it gives good first impressions to newcomers). CS1 addresses all of those problems, though the overall playable cast is made up of teenagers, whereas in Sky you had people in their late 20s and early 30s as party members. If you do play Sky, just skip all of the and focus on the main story.

- - - Updated - - -

As for why the series is unknown in the West, it's complicated. It's quite a shame that it's not as well known in the West as even Atelier or Tales. The first games in the series, Trails in the Sky First Chapter, came out in the 2000s on the PSP, at a time when JRPGs were heavily stigmatized in the West. The series then went dormant in the West for years, as the English localization of Trails in the Sky Second Chapter took many years and did not finish until 2015. The localizer, XSEED games, would continue to localize the Trails games and bring them to PC, but they didn't really have the money to advertise it. Eventually, the developers of the Trails series, Nihon Falcom, decided to give the localization rights to NISA (Falcom's current president is friends with the president of NISA). NISA had way more money than XSEED and could properly market the series, starting with Trails of Cold Steel 3. Several of the people who localized the Trails games under XSEED continue to do so under NISA.

Nihon Falcom does not allow an English localization of their games to happen before Japanese release (even though Falcom could afford it). So we're usually waiting about 2 years after a Trails game release in Japan for it to be brought over to the West.

I suspect another problem with why the series might not be very well known in the West is that the English Trails fandom is rather aggressive and offputting, pushing more potential fans away than bringing them in.

Quote Originally Posted by Toybox View Post
    You're in for a treat if you decide to give it a shot Start with Trails in the Sky & work your way forward from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Start with either Trails in the Sky, or Trails of Cold Steel 1, and then play their sequels. Whichever appeals to you the most. I'd personally recommend ToCS1. Sky has pacing problems where the first 20 hours are meh, the combat system is really rough, and most of the sidequests are meh. (Make no mistake: I quite like Sky, I just don't think it gives good first impressions to newcomers). CS1 addresses all of those problems, though the overall playable cast is made up of teenagers, whereas in Sky you had people in their late 20s and early 30s as party members. If you do play Sky, just skip all of the and focus on the main story.

- - - Updated - - -

As for why the series is unknown in the West, it's complicated. It's quite a shame that it's not as well known in the West as even Atelier or Tales. The first games in the series, Trails in the Sky First Chapter, came out in the 2000s on the PSP, at a time when JRPGs were heavily stigmatized in the West. The series then went dormant in the West for years, as the English localization of Trails in the Sky Second Chapter took many years and did not finish until 2015. The localizer, XSEED games, would continue to localize the Trails games and bring them to PC, but they didn't really have the money to advertise it. Eventually, the developers of the Trails series, Nihon Falcom, decided to give the localization rights to NISA (Falcom's current president is friends with the president of NISA). NISA had way more money than XSEED and could properly market the series, starting with Trails of Cold Steel 3. Several of the people who localized the Trails games under XSEED continue to do so under NISA.

Nihon Falcom does not allow an English localization of their games to happen before Japanese release (even though Falcom could afford it). So we're usually waiting about 2 years after a Trails game release in Japan for it to be brought over to the West.

I suspect another problem with why the series might not be very well known in the West is that the English Trails fandom is rather aggressive and offputting, pushing more potential fans away than bringing them in.
    Appreciate the response. I see they're available on Steam. Will be getting the Steam Deck, so I'd play it on that.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2021-08-26 at 08:43 AM.

Appreciate the response. I see they're available on Steam. Will be getting the Steam Deck, so I'd play it on that.
    Also, be sure to get the ports published by either XSEED Games or NISA. Don't get them mixed up with the ports of the Chinese translations, which are by a different company and obviously not for English speakers.

Getting mine in December, so I'm looking forward to the Crossbell arc being released next year! Will be the perfect game for the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Toybox View Post
    Getting mine in December, so I'm looking forward to the Crossbell arc being released next year! Will be the perfect game for the system.
    Aye, not a fan of playing JRPGs on PC... last was Ni No Kuni 2... need to play them on [hand]console to enjoy while on a cosy couch.

New trailer for Kuro is out. It will probably be the last one (historically, the last trailer for a Trails game drops at the end of August, while the game itself releases at the end of September).

Also, news dump on the villains. Good chance this will be the last bit of reveals before the game drops in September.

Battle System: “Grendel Battles”

During the story of The Legend of Heroes: Kuro no Kiseki, protagonist Van’s support artificial intelligence Mare appears on the battlefield as a hologram.

When this happens, Van’s body transforms into “Grendel,” significantly boosting various stats.

In the Grendel state, the battle mode will shift to the “Grendel Battle” state, allowing two actions per turn.

By utilizing Grendel’s abilities such as combining normal attacks with melee abilities or magic abilities, or using more boost abilities to increase the number of actions, you can greatly increase your damage output.

■ Party Battles in the Grendel State

As the story develops, there will be times that you will be able to fight in the Grendel state alongside party members. While only Grendel will have a different way of selecting commands, it is possible to challenge battles against strong enemies while benefiting from link attacks and support through use of the tactical orbment Xipha.

There are a few things to break down here.

First, the wording seems to imply that the Grendel transformation will only be able to be activated during certain story battles. So it's like Valimar from the Trails of Cold Steel games? Or will you be able to later unlock the ability to transform into Grendel during any battle (like Valimar in CS2)?

Second, apparently link attacks are back. The link attack was a unique feature of Reinford's ARCUS system. So does that mean that the Verne Company has managed to obtain an ARCUS unit and reverse engineer it's ability? Or does is the link attack system no longer tied to the ARCUS unit in lore (like how in Trails in the Sky the 3rd, people could just do combo attacks together without needing an ARCUS)?

Third, is Grimcats the same kind of being as Grendel? Grimcats sorta has the same design language as Grendel, with the glowing power lines, glowing eyes, glowing claws, long glowing hair, and a similar magical/sentai transformation sequence. Does Judith have a hologram AI too, or can she transform with one?

New characters, mainly villains.

Melchior (voiced by Shouta Aoi)

One of the three leaders of “Armata,” a suspicious mafia organization that has been operating in the Republic.

He was originally a member of a different organization, although due to his skills and selflessness towards the boss, he quickly climbed to the ranks of the Armata executives.

He is skilled in the use of large knives and bombs with different effects, as well as vicious combat techniques that crush his opponent’s body and mind.

He seems to be taking on erratic missions, including manipulation, assassination, and sabotage, all in the name of fulfilling the boss’ wish of bringing “fear” to the Republic.

In the 2nd secreenshot, Melchior is stabbing himself. Falcom wouldn't put a death scene in a pre-release screenshot, so I'm guessing he's stabbing himself to power up (maybe the blade is infused with power?).

His face and hair looks sorta similar to Joachim. I wonder if he's a younger brother or a nephew.

Viola (voiced by Nozomi Yamamoto)

One of the three leaders of the mafia organization Armata.

She is an abnormal sadist and uses a weapon called the “Needlegun” that shoots several dozens of small needles at its target, shredding them apart.

She devotes herself to the boss’ cause of moving everything with “fear,” but also sees Melchior as a rival due to him rising in the ranks, becoming the boss’ right-hand man, despite her newcomer status.

Alexandre (voiced by Tarusuke Shingaki)

One of the three leaders of the mafia organization Armata.

Although he may seem quiet and calm, when it comes to battle he quickly loses control and rampages with his two large gauntlet arms.

He used to work as a government official, but a certain incident lead him to leave his home and flee to the Republic, where he was recruited by the Armata boss.

He admires his boss’ way of converting despair into “fear,” but also seems to be looking for a place to die.

This is interesting. Note the screenshot of the antagonists relaxing on the boat. Trails doesn't move the camera away from the protagonists to show the antagonists chilling out together. I think that Armata might not be the true antagonists of the game. I think this screenshot was taken at an angle to hide the fact that Van (and perhaps other party members) are on the boat to, talking to these Armata folks. I'm guessing they're going to team up to fight against the true antagonists of the game, who haven't been revealed yet.

Alexandre looks and sounds like he might be some sort of Vulcan-expy. Hopefully he has a fate than him.

Arioch of Massacre (voiced by Tsuyoshi Koyama)

A large man cooperating with the mafia organization Armata.

He wears a heavy suit of armor that shines dimly, and wields a giant halberd with ease.

He seems to have been massacring thieves and jaegers in the eastern regions, but the reasons behind that is unknown.

He claims to resonate with the Armata’s simple idea of ruling over everything with fear.

He currently acts as Armata’s strongest warrior and murders any opposing force, regardless of country or organization, and leaving no witness. Because of this, he is referred to as the “Invisible Tempest.”

This guy looks like he'd fit right into Warcraft or Monster Hunter.

I'm certain this guy is going to backstab Armata. Not sure if he's going to take over as the big bad, or become an independent actor who throws a wrench into the story.

Olympia of Gold (voiced by Asami Seto)

A mysterious woman who, like Arioch, also has a cooperative relationship with Armata.

She uses a doll made of platinum shaped like an angel.

She sees others and herself as mere “objects,” and it is difficult to make out her emotions through her actions.

She seems to be interested in the way Armata’s attempts to rule everything with “fear,” but…

Oh look, yet another boring Rei Ayanami expy! *snore*

Her "doll" is suspiciously similar to an Erebonian combat shell. She even sits on it like a combat shell. However, Erebonian combat shells were made of some sort of unidentifiable high tech material. So either the combat shells are going to be retconned into having been based on this design, or this is a completely different thing.

There is one last Armata character (the boss?) but they haven't done a character bio on him yet.

Also, lots of very similar character designs in this game. The boss, Arioch, and the MTSC guy all look so similar in face, hairstyle, build, and outfit, I thought all three were the same character.

Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2021-08-27 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    (Make no mistake: I quite like Sky, I just don't think it gives good first impressions to newcomers).
    I disagree somewhat. As a long-time jrpg gamer who loved the old, classics...it drew me in immediately. I loved it right from the start. I agree it wouldn't be very interesting to people who are just trying a jrpg for first time though.

My god what a feels ride it has been. I am glad I picked up this game. I am so happy that I pushed myself to play. WHole series finished. Will be buying hajimari soon and will use overlay or trust in my Japanese hehe. THis game was great. SImply awesome. My only problem was the over developed technology and magic. If only it was simple like in the trails in the sky series. Simple magic and technology. Now we have fucking battlecruiser everwhere. In such a short time period.

Another thing would be the arcus system. I liked the original one in the sky series. With limitations. like you have to have 3 green and 1 yellow etc to use this gem.

Still, I really really really enjoyed the whole series, no idea how many times I got watery eyes, and felt really happy. Cannot wait for the calvard arc.

I have a question though about the lore I cannot really seem to connect them.
    I get everything that happened in Erabonia.
    I get everything that happened in Liberl
    But I cannot connect these two together.
    I cannot put the events in a chronological order. Ancient zemurian civilization was living on the liberl ark. then they landed and founded liberl.
    What were Erobonians doing at that time? I know they were busy fighting golems, knights etc but Erabonians and Liberk Ark people are different? There used to be 2 nations? like how? @Val the Moofia Boss need your expertise mate!

Quote Originally Posted by Gref View Post
    I have a question though about the lore I cannot really seem to connect them.
    I get everything that happened in Erabonia.
    I get everything that happened in Liberl
    But I cannot connect these two together.
    I cannot put the events in a chronological order. Ancient zemurian civilization was living on the liberl ark. then they landed and founded liberl.
    What were Erobonians doing at that time? I know they were busy fighting golems, knights etc but Erabonians and Liberk Ark people are different? There used to be 2 nations? like how? @Val the Moofia Boss need your expertise mate!
    You are correct; the new lore says that the ancient Erebonians were different people from the ancient Liberlians.

In Trails in the Sky, according to the lore (talking to Professor Alba at the Grancel museum, and what Richard says at the end of FC, and the lore reveals in SC) there was only one Ancient Zemurian Civilization before the Great Collapse: the one that was based on Liber Ark. The word "Ancient Zemurian Civilization" referred to Liber Ark. The Great Collapse refers to the Aureole causing the death of Liber Ark's society. A handful of survivors fled to the surface. Presumably the peoples of Zemuria are descended from that group (it is never mentioned if there were other peoples already living on the surface).

So the timeline is:

• Humanity obtains the Aureole.
    • Humanity builds Liber Ark and lives in it.
    • 1200 years ago, the Aureole begins to kill off Liber Ark's civilization. (Great Collapse)
    • Survivors flee to the surface (around Valleria Lake) and see off the Liber Ark into another dimension.
    • People begin migrating from the Liberl region to the rest of Zemuria, creating other peoples and nations. People in remained behind around Lake Valleria eventually become the nation of Liberl known today.
    • The Dark Ages (0-1000ish)
    • Modern history (1100ish onwards), most states we see in the games have been formed by now.
    • 1202 onwards: events of the games.

In Crossbell, the term "Ancient Zemurian Civilization" is retconned to refer to all nations living on the surface before the Great Collapse. This is the first time we hear about other pre-collapse societies distinct from Liber Ark, and apparently other nations had Sept-Terions too. Currently it is presumed that there were 7 nations, each with their own Sept-Terion, but it could be possible that there were lesser nations that didn't have any. The term "Great Collapse" is retconned to refer to the fall of all of these Sept-Terion based nations within the same timeframe (about 1200 years ago).

So the timeline is:

• Multiple different nations and peoples exist in Zemuria.
    • Some nations obtain Sept-Terions and become powerful compared to the rest.
    • 1200 years ago, something happens to all of the Sept-Terions that causes the collapse of the nations that had them. (Great collapse)
    • The Dark Ages (0-1000ish)
    • Modern history (1100ish onwards), most states we see in the games have been formed by now.
    • 1202 onwards: events of the games.

thanks Val! clear as usual, now I see. So, bottom timeline is correct. Also, I was planning to buy hajimari no kiseki. I have been in Japan for 7 years now. I can speak fluently. It is just game kanjis are difficult for me and from what I see the English patch for that works only for PS4? I cannot use that for steam?

If so I will just download the spreadsheet and follow it. I am too lazy to memorize kanji -.-

Quote Originally Posted by Gref View Post
    thanks Val! clear as usual, now I see. So, bottom timeline is correct. Also, I was planning to buy hajimari no kiseki. I have been in Japan for 7 years now. I can speak fluently. It is just game kanjis are difficult for me and from what I see the English patch for that works only for PS4? I cannot use that for steam?

If so I will just download the spreadsheet and follow it. I am too lazy to memorize kanji -.-
    To my knowledge, the overlay program has not been updated to work for the Chinese PC port of Hajimari. Only works for the Japanese PS4 version of Hajimari right now.

Here is a link to the translation, the overlay program, and a video on how to get it to work. Bear in mind only the main story and the episodes are translated; the NPCs are not. The overlay program tells you where to go and who you need to talk to in order to progress.

English fan translation for the upcoming Kuro no Kiseki has been announced. Kitsune, who fan translated Cold Steel 3, 4, and Hajimari, will not be leading it this time. However, Kitsune's website will still be used to host the new Kuro fan translation.

Unexpected new character bio dump.

Renne Bright (voiced by Aoi Yabusaki)

A second-year exchange student who attends Aramis High School. She is the invincible president of the school council who can handle any kind of situation with ease.

She used an exchange student program from Liberl’s Jenis Royal Academy to come to the Republic in the spring of Year 1208.

She met Agnes immediately after she came to the Republic, and since their rooms are right next to each other in the dorms, they have naturally become close.

Although she is making impressive results as school council president, she seems to have a different reason for coming to the Republic.
    How on earth does a foreign exchange student become student council president? Surely there would be rules against that?

Yin (voiced by Rina Satou)

A legendary assassin nicknamed “The Shadow of the Easterner Quarter.”

She always has her face covered with a mask, and wields a demon-slaying sword larger than her own body.

She used to have a contract between with Heiyue and operated mainly in the Easterner Quarter, but changed her base of action to Crossbell as of a few years ago, which made any rumors about her fade away.

She has been away from Calvard for long, but has once again signed a contract with Heiyue to stop any damage to the Easterner Quarter caused by the mafia organization Armata.
    I'm not fond of these two particular returning characters.

Ellroy Harwood, the Outlaw (voiced by Takaya Kuroda)

Enforcer No. IV of Ouroboros, who crowns the title “Outlaw of Thousands.”

He uses a mysterious power that can rot away even demons in purgatory.

Like Lucrezia, the “Golden Butterfly,” he also was part of an assassin’s organization known as Order of the Moonlight Horse.

After fighting with Ouroboros, Harwood decided to join them and was given the role of Enforcer by the Grandmaster.

Having studied and practiced the evil deeds of all ages and places, he is a criminal specialist who acts according to his own desires, but it is said that a “certain plan” of Ouroboros is related to his movements within the Republic.
    Huh. The surprise here is that he isn't an Anguis as had been speculated. Also, looks like we got another retcon. In Trails in the Sky, any Enforcer or Anguis of Ouroboros could invite anyone to join and become an Enforcer. Then Cold Steel 3 retconned it into "no no, only the Grandmaster can pick and choose who to invite, and they must have darkness in their heart". And now Ellroy just asks to get in and he does? Should be really easy for any Bracer or government agent to infiltrate Ourobors then. Just fake going on a mass murder spree to gain your villain cred and ask for an invite and wham, you're inside and you can find where all their bases are and identify their members and such.

EDIT: Appears to be a mistranslation. Ellroy is indeed the 4th Anguis, as suspected. So we've seen all 7 Anguis thus far.

Gerard Dantes (voiced by Tomokazu Seki)

The boss of mafia organization Armata. He commands an overwhelming aura that feels as if he can make anyone obey him.

Gerard made the organization what it is now by killing his former boss Enrique when the boss mishandled some matters.

He thinks fear is what makes people human, and that everything can be controlled by it. He gained many followers by recruiting strong fighters that resonate with his philosophy.

Other organizations in the Republic have caught on to Armata’s suspicious behavior and already started to take countermeasures, such as the Bracer Guild, the police, and even underground organizations like Heiyue.
    Heiyue taking notice of another mafia's suspicious behavior? Ha! Heiyue hires assassins and mugs people all the time. Pretty silly to act as if they're morally superior to Armata.

Lol he has a throne.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2021-09-10 at 09:18 AM.

Someone gifted me "a JRPG" on Steam years ago, and I thought from the screenshots that it was some cheap indie. I hadn't fallen in love with JRPGs back then. Now I looked it up again and realized it's Trails in the Sky, one of my must-get-around-to-playing games. Will get around to playing it... eventually. My backlog is huge lol.

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    Someone gifted me "a JRPG" on Steam years ago, and I thought from the screenshots that it was some cheap indie. I hadn't fallen in love with JRPGs back then. Now I looked it up again and realized it's Trails in the Sky, one of my must-get-around-to-playing games. Will get around to playing it... eventually. My backlog is huge lol.
    Trails in the Sky is pretty great. Just be warned that the combat is rough and the game has a slow start. Play on normal and skip the sidequests.

Also, it has some jazzy tunes:

Kuro first week sales down over 30k from Hajimari which was already down 20k from CS4. Series is bleeding out and dying in Japan and Val tried to tell me its where they are growing LOL.

Better figure out how to localize shit and get it out faster and grow in the west, also better figure out how to get Switch versions without waiting on NISA to fund the ports. What a bomb, new arc debuting at 50k this shit is actually dying in Japan.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2021-10-08 at 12:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Kuro first week sales down over 30k from Hajimari which was already down 20k from CS4. Series is bleeding out and dying in Japan and Val tried to tell me its where they are growing LOL.

Better figure out how to localize shit and get it out faster and grow in the west, also better figure out how to get Switch versions without waiting on NISA to fund the ports. What a bomb, new arc debuting at 50k this shit is actually dying in Japan.
    Huh... i guess the more action-y combat system didn't go down well.

I do agree that the way they are handling localizations is a disaster though. I still cannot believe reverie is only gonna come out in 2023. It's outrageous.

We are in the twilight of the ps4 days. So, some software sales drop off is to be expected. The switch dominates japan, so i am sure they will make up for sales with that version.

But, yeah, they do need to review their strategy with this series.

With that said, it just occured to me that your numbers probably don't include digital sales. Hard to say how it did. But, it is hard to deny the drop off compared to cold steel 2 which sold 3 times as much on week one.
    Can digital sales represent 66% of sales? Hmm...
    Last edited by Swnem; 2021-10-08 at 01:17 AM.

Yeah 50k was unexpectedly bad. Usually the first game in an arc sells the most and then you have attrition as the arc goes on where fewer people buy the next game. CS4 sold 100k, so Kuro failing to sell that many on it's first game is rather shocking. Even Hajimari sold 80k.

That being said, China and Korea makeup a significant portion of Falcom's revenue as seen in their shareholder's reports. No idea what the Kuro's figures are for those regions, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    Could also be the new setting and the protagonist doesn't jive with Japanese tastes like Rean and fantasy Prussia did. Coincidentally, the last time a JRPG had a 1920s Americana setting was Sakura Wars V, which also didn't do very well compared to its predecessors and resulted in the franchise being shelved until the reboot. But Sakura Wars V was complicated by other factors (preceding game was regarded as bad so maybe that diminished people's faith in the franchise and they didn't buy the sequel).

- - - Updated - - -

Could also be that the handling of Cold Steel's plot in CS3 and CS4 really disappointed a lot of people that they only stuck it through to Hajimari because they liked the characters, but they didn't have faith in the next arc and thus didn't check out Kuro.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm doubtful we will see anything revolutionary so long as Kato remains chairman. Apparently he has been holding back Falcom for decades with his policies. Falcom games were renowned for their music quality, but a lot of people think it has declined over the years as the oldtimer composers left for greener pastures, and others burned out and became creatively bankrupt. People who really care about story might also have realized that Falcom is just never going to improve their writing (then again Tales of Arise sold well and was just another Tales game, maybe that's the power of higher fidelity graphics? Dunno).

I do agree that the way they are handling localizations is a disaster though. I still cannot believe reverie is only gonna come out in 2023. It's outrageous.

We are in the twilight of the ps4 days. So, some software sales drop off is to be expected. The switch dominates japan, so i am sure they will make up for sales with that version.

With that said, it just occured to me that your numbers probably don't include digital sales. Hard to say how it did. But, it is hard to deny the drop off compared to cold steel 2 which sold 3 times as much on week one.
    Can digital sales represent 66% of sales? Hmm...
    Digital in Japan isn't meaningless but it's definitely no where near 66%. It's still a vast minority there. To put into perspective Sony ships 1/10th of PS5 digital editions as regulars to Japan. In rest of world it's 1/3rd. Japan is way slower then the west at digital and are not giving up their physical versions any time soon. Also the games are generally sold at full MSRP of like 8800 yen on the PSN digital store and physical stores sell them for 7800 yen or even cheaper in some cases, so that's another reason for digital probably not making up a significant portion of sales. Lets say they did 10-15k digital sales at most, and that is being incredibly generous.

Reverie being 2023 in the west is definitely a bad move for growth of the series. While having official localized versions of Crossbell will be great for long time fans it's not going to do anything to grow the franchise. Kuro has the potential to grow the franchise in the west, and that is now pushed to what late 2024 probably? Going back to right the wrong of Crossbell is probably a mistake imo...
    Last edited by Tech614; 2021-10-08 at 02:43 AM.