Thread: Alan Wake 2

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Alan Wake 2

Started to play it and damn... it looks great and the atmosphere is terrific.
    Even with quite old hardware by now. Worried optimization could be a problem, but they weren't kidding when they said they've optimized it.
    For some reason the "biggest" drawback performance wise is pulling up the map, which is bizarre to me. Going into the mind palace is less intensive even though the game doesn't pause. Probably because it has both places loaded at all times an map is loaded when you pull it up, but I digress.

I instantly think about the Hannibal series when it comes to the profiling mechanic. It's almost a bit supernatural and the presentation of it is similar, which is a good thing. It's ofc a bit out there to learn about clues in the detail they do, but it works great visually and story wise.

Really impressed so far with how it tells the story, haven't gotten far though.
    But the mind palace and placing out the case clues to give you guidance on where to go is brilliant instead of relying on map markers. Though there are some that have caused me confusion because they can appear before you can do anything with it, which is a bit annoying. Not even a comment of "I should probably remember this" or something. Not sure if I actually can miss this POI if I move forward or if I have to move forward for the POI to be interactable.

Very minor stuff I complain about.

Gameplay they did what I wanted them to do. Which was reducing the amount of time to shine light on them. It goes quicker, tried to replay Alan Wake 1 and I realised I didn't have the patience for shining a light on an enemy for 10s times the amount of enemies you face.
    Audio also sounds great, but I've noticed I do have harder time to locate where sound comes from, can't say if it's a bit intentional to be disoriented because it seems to only be for enemies. Too early to tell.

Just been playing 3h and I try to take my time. I certainly recommend this game though.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

I'm like 4 or 5 hours into the game and it has blown my fucking mind. This is Remedy's masterpiece.

Completely forgot about this game coming out. F’ing to have to pick it up tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I'm like 4 or 5 hours into the game and it has blown my fucking mind. This is Remedy's masterpiece.
    I was worried the 13 year "wait" would be a hurdle they couldn't live up to, but yeah. So far they have.

The use of Sam Lake and Alex Casey makes it feel like a love child of Alan Wake + Max Payne (substitute for him since they "lost" the IP).
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2023-10-28 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    I was worried the 13 year "wait" would be a hurdle they couldn't live up to, but yeah. So far they have.

The use of Sam Lake and Alex Casey makes it feel like a love child of Alan Wake + Max Payne (substitute for him since they "lost" the IP).
    This ties all their games together; Max Payne, Quantum Break, Control.

Game is really something else. I admire they went for it with gusto. A unique vision.

The use of Sam Lake and Alex Casey makes it feel like a love child of Alan Wake + Max Payne (substitute for him since they "lost" the IP)
    When Alex showed up wearing the same outfit and tie as Max Payne, my mind blew

Smells like another GOTY contender.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Smells like another GOTY contender.
    It is! Fantastic game. Very inventive and solidly pulled off.

It's more like an experimental play for the stage than a film, which many games try to imitate and fail.

It's like Jesus Christ Superstar meets Twin Peaks Fire Walk with Me.

- - - Updated - - -

A thing that does piss me off about this game are all the wolves. How are there so many wolves everywhere?

I also can't understand how I am supposed to dodge the wolves. Dodging never seems to work and they always get me from behind. Where the fuck are they coming from? They just spawn and I hate the wolves.

A thing that does piss me off about this game are all the wolves. How are there so many wolves everywhere?

I also can't understand how I am supposed to dodge the wolves. Dodging never seems to work and they always get me from behind. Where the fuck are they coming from? They just spawn and I hate the wolves.
    huh... think I've faced 2... max 3 wolves so far. Plenty of backpackers though.
    Just follow the wolf when they circle until they stand and face you, when they run for you, you dodge when they start the jump by raising their forelegs. Pretty sure there is a small slowdown effect as well, or I imagine things.

Is this only on Epic?

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Is this only on Epic?
    Yes, they are the ones funding it. So for now it's Epic only, if a steam version comes later is anyones guess.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Is this only on Epic?
    Epic Games funded the development of Alan Wake II so yes it is and this wouldn't have been possible without Epic Games

Yes, they are the ones funding it. So for now it's Epic only, if a steam version comes later is anyones guess.
    Welp, guess i won't play it then.

huh... think I've faced 2... max 3 wolves so far. Plenty of backpackers though.
    Just follow the wolf when they circle until they stand and face you, when they run for you, you dodge when they start the jump by raising their forelegs. Pretty sure there is a small slowdown effect as well, or I imagine things.
    I press the button and it does nothing. I still get hit then two more instantly spawn behind me and get stuck in a loop of being attacked.

Just finished Lords of the Fallen (solid game with some flaws), might pick this up.

If I took a drink every time Alan said, "It's a horror story" I would be dead.

That said, I got to the section that is a musical. Brilliant.

I love it when games or media in general use bold strokes or take artistic chances.

If this had the gameplay depth of Street Fighter 6, AW2 would be my top game of the year. I really admire the artistry here.

I love Mr. Door. The FMV acting is actually pretty good. Deliberate choices and direction that is knowing of its tone.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2023-10-29 at 02:37 PM.

I loved the first. Still to play Control, but got it waiting. Was pondering Alan Wake 2. Getting a lot of good games right now, but comments like this are pushing me towards getting 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tehealadin View Post
    I loved the first. Still to play Control, but got it waiting. Was pondering Alan Wake 2. Getting a lot of good games right now, but comments like this are pushing me towards getting 2.
    I love Control, but if you're strapped for time you could just watch a recap of Control's AWE dlc.

This ties all their games together; Max Payne, Quantum Break, Control.

Game is really something else. I admire they went for it with gusto. A unique vision.
    Wait, so I need to have plates those games to enjoy this? I’ve only played AW1.

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    Wait, so I need to have plates those games to enjoy this? I’ve only played AW1.
    You'll appreciate the references and call backs more but Alan Wake 1 is the only one that matters for this game.