Poll: Which do you prefer?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Denkou View Post
    It depends on the card, really. 290Xs were going on sale for $250 at several times last year, for that price it would be a great Xfire option for someone who already has one. Obviously YMMV and this really depends on what deals you can get, but it's not unheard of to score old flagship cards for really low prices.

The used market is also a good option if you are not opposed to buying used.
    True, if there are sales or you go used you could have better luck. But even if, in my previous example, you found a 770 on sale or used for $150(I think that's pretty low, would probably be closer to $200), would you rather SLI 770s for $150 or sell yours for $150 and have $300 with which you could get a 390. I would estimate a 390 to be about 15% behind the dual 770s in games that properly support SLI, but in games that do not you'd still just be running a single 770 and the single 390 would be far better. The single 390 is still the better option overall IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    Say I have a 970 right now. Would buying a 980 or getting another 970 be better? If I already have the PSU to power them.
    Sit on your 970 till Pascal releases (that's what I'm doing), but if you have to upgrade getting another 970 would be your cheapest option.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    True, if there are sales or you go used you could have better luck. But even if, in my previous example, you found a 770 on sale or used for $150(I think that's pretty low, would probably be closer to $200), would you rather SLI 770s for $150 or sell yours for $150 and have $300 with which you could get a 390. I would estimate a 390 to be about 15% behind the dual 770s in games that properly support SLI, but in games that do not you'd still just be running a single 770 and the single 390 would be far better. The single 390 is still the better option overall IMO.
    Why can't there be magical place where SLI/Crossfire work all the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lots of games don't work well with SLI and Crossfire, so... It's better to just get 1 good card.

That is until we get to a time where DX12 is in pretty much everything, and then we can dual card it up all day every day.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2016-01-29 at 06:16 AM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bmjclark View Post
    SLI seems to have issues in a lot of games, so a single card.
    This. If SLI was better supported, in theory, it would always outdo a single card. Unfortunately, it's only half-assed supported in most games, and many others don't support it at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Every time I build a PC, I build it with a single card with the option to double up later on if necessary.

It's never been necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigvizz View Post
    Why can't there be magical place where SLI/Crossfire work all the time.
    Most definitely. If there were, then it might be a good option. However, if it were, you would also likely have more people looking to buy older used cards and less people selling them. Supply goes down, demand goes up, what do you think happens then? Prices go up obviously. They are more in demand so places may not offer as great sales either. So we are back in the conundrum of it costing more.