Thread: New Headphones

New Headphones

I'm looking to buy some new headphones. I'm more interested in quality than anything else (when I die I want to pass them on to my children (kidding of course but you know what I mean)). I read a lot of hype about Sennheiser but is there anyone better? I take care of my equipment but I've always bought headsets (mostly logitech) and they always break after a few years (see what I mean about passing them on to my kids lol). I saw this thread but I didn't want to hijack it and he wants a headset. So what would you suggest for under $300 (210 pounds, 275 euros)?

I know you were asking about stuff other than Sennheiser, but I just recently got a pair of HD 598s and love them. I paid about $150 for mine on Amazon. I'm using mine as a gaming headset (with a Modmic attached). Sound quality is amazing and blows away everything else I've owned.

Comfort is a big pro for me on these. Lots of padding, etc. I can wear these things for hours and not feel any kind of discomfort. I'm also dealing with some on and off hearing problems related to a pretty rough ear infection I had a couple of months ago, so I'm still fairly sensitive in that area, and these are still really comfortable to me. Most headphones/headsets have that thing where they clamp down on your head too hard when they're new before you break them in, but these felt comfortable right out of the box. They also feel really solid and well built.

Another thing I like is that they're not USB, so I can use them in other devices. These have the bigger plug (like what you plug in a guitar amp) and include an adapter for plugging into the smaller jacks (like the audio jacks on a PC). I like that because they work quite nicely with my guitar amp too.

I'm not a big fan of the color (Ivory was the only option they had), but that's a very minor gripe compared to how awesome these things are. The only other thing that _might_ be a con is the open back design (others in the room with you will hear what you're listening to if you have the volume up enough), but I usually do my gaming in a room alone, so it's not really a problem for me.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I, too, have the HD598s, and I love them. I also love the color. I'd call them warm, both literally and aesthetically, too:

OP, while you wouldn't exactly NEED one, do you have a headphone amp? The HD598s are right on the edge of needing one with 50 ohm impedance, whereas a typical headphone jack is good for 32 ohm, it'll power these, but it'll struggle a little bit.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

No I don't have a headphone amp and I'm not beyond getting one for a quality product. I don't have a problem with Sennheiser I just was curious if there was anything better or comparable out there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, really products typically break based on how cheaply they are produced and how they are then handled by the consumer. Let's say you treat your stuff like the average person - the Sennheisers will still outlast the Logitechs. They're simply a higher-end product. While Logitech stuff is kind of nice, it's really not aimed at people looking for a truly higher-tier line, even Logitech's more expensive stuff. I will say some of Logitech's products in the past have really shown they can last forever - i.e. I know a guy who has the first version of the G15 keyboard and has been using it for probably close to a decade if not longer, taking it to and from my college's LAN parties (he's the faculty advisor) and thus you can imagine, it's seen better days. But it's working great for him!

I think headphones are a different beast, a lot goes into how you care for them, also, that damn cable. Until I moved up to stuff like my Shure SRH440 headphones and especially my Audio Technica ATH-AD700 headphones, I always had the cables screwing up and tangling. The Shures were alright, but the Audio Technicas and Sennheisers are PERFECT. No problems, whatsoever.

Honestly, what I'd advise, for under $300, is a decent pair of headphones from Sennheiser, Audio Technica, or the like, and a clip-on or desktop microphone.

Headphones for $100 I'd say:

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica...audio+technica

If you want to spend about $50 more, you can get the HD 598s, GREAT price, considering how much they used to be! (about $300)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0126HISOO/..._t2_B009S332TQ (black or ivory oOOOooOOoo)

So, getting the 598s could mean you could also buy a cheaper'ish headphone AMP, if you wanted to prep yourself for something even nicer in the future.

Maybe in the future, you could go the route a lot of people seem to take, that being the 250 or 600 ohm impedance Beyerdynamic DT 990s.

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-9...rdynamic+dt990

As for mic? Depends on how nice you want it to be. You can go really cheap or a bit more expensive. When I first separated the headset up, I had a webcam mic, but I hated its sound, very full of white-noise, just bad. Back then I didn't have much cash, so I got the Zalman Mic1: http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic1...rds=zalman+zm1

Upgraded from that to the wonderful Blue Snowball: http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Microphon...=blue+snowball

Here's a couple audio samples. Now that I am making YouTube videos via my Canon, I had to sacrifice a bit of audio quality for FAR SUPERIOR image quality, holy crap. And I'll take it lol. Still use the Snowball though for chatting with people or if I make gaming videos. So, here's a couple videos that I've made using both of the mics, topics unrelated.
    Here's an example with the Snowball:

Here's an example from my Canon with the Zalman mic:

Word of warning about the Snowball, if you get an Amazon Basics USB cable to replace the short ancient style one that comes with it, it will love to fall out of it. I think it's the cable being lower quality than others, but yeah, that's a bad thing. So pay attention to that.

Any questions?

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to mention, let us know if you want to go headphone AMP route. What I will say though, is try out the headphones, even the 598s (if you go with them) without one, and let us know what you think.
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    I 100% recommend what ever you get to make sure it has a detachable cable. Out of all the headphones that I have owned, it is always the weak link to headphones. Many people buy expensive headphones that are good quality, but then when their cable is shit and don't last a year it all goes to waste.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    I 100% recommend what ever you get to make sure it has a detachable cable. Out of all the headphones that I have owned, it is always the weak link to headphones. Many people buy expensive headphones that are good quality, but then when their cable is shit and don't last a year it all goes to waste.
    Good point! Thankfully the Sennheisers come with a detachable!
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Good point! Thankfully the Sennheisers come with a detachable!
    I have a AKG(K7XX) one, and finding a right cable replacement for it was very hard. I ended up soldering together two wires.

My AKG are pretty good, I also had some Beyers DT880 which were very good(though did not have replaceable cables so they died). For my next pair when I decide I need a new one will be something with a bit moss bass or something.

OP, what are you looking to be using them for? Listening to music? Playing games? Will it matter if you can hear other people and they can hear you?
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    All in one deal for $80 with excellent build quality and sound goes to the Hyper X Cloud. I'm still surprised by this set and it puts a lot of sets priced higher than it to shame tbh.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Bayerdynamic

I use these; http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-D...s=beyerdynamic

The ones with the 250 OHM resistance on them.

They are outstanding.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would stick with logitech. I have had my G 930s for three years and any time they broke Logitech sent me a new pair. On a side note I have Astro A 40s as well and the mic stopped working they told me i was sol because it was a month out of warranty. The customer service at logitech is just too good to pass up imho.

Quote Originally Posted by annatom View Post
    I would stick with logitech. I have had my G 930s for three years and any time they broke Logitech sent me a new pair. On a side note I have Astro A 40s as well and the mic stopped working they told me i was sol because it was a month out of warranty. The customer service at logitech is just too good to pass up imho.
    He is looking for headphones not a headset.

And honestly after using a high end headset (Astro A50's) I'd say get a great pair of headphones and a good mic. I am currently using the Blue Yeti on a mic boom.

10+ Year Old Account
    The first of my recommendations is actually a headset but it's one of such a high quality I figured you'd want to check it out.

Audio Technica ATH-AG1. Very good mic, very good SQ.

Mic quality sample: https://soundcloud.com/ltt-mic-test scroll to the bottom and the sample is there.

If you're on more of a budget, the best price-performance you'll get for headphones is possibly the AKG K-701. Very excellent highs, decent mids, not too bassy so if you want lots of bass look elsewhere. Great soundstage and lots of clarity so you pick out lots of details. Can get them for cheap nowadays. Maybe around 100 GBP. Depending on prices, another great alternative is the Audio-Technica ATH-M50X, which is currently Amazon UK's top seller in DJ/studio headphones, with a staggering 830/867 4+ star reviews and a retail price around 125 GBP.

You can attach an Antlion ModMic 4 to the side for a decent microphone, which currently goes for 35 quid on scan:

Assuming you go down the K-701 route and attach a modmic you're saving 40-70 quid but still getting lots of quality.

If you're looking for almost indestructible headphones you should check out V-Moda's product range. Many consider V-Moda the more intelligent price-range alternative to Beats, which isn't hard to believe, because Beats are terrible junk. V-Moda on the other hand is good, looks good, and very robust. Being closed-back and having a low impedance, V-Moda headphones can also be used in public with your music player without compromising your appearance.

V-moda's USP is customisable side plates where you can have your own personal design on them. Because the side plates, which the company calls 'shields' can be changed, your kids can have their own designs on them which I think would appeal greatly to them.
    Last edited by Will; 2016-01-31 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Definitely this. As I mentioned, that was one of the selling points for me on the Sennheisers. My previous headset broke because it had a little volume control halfway down the cord. The wire used for that cord was shit quality and eventually started fraying from normal use, even though I was really careful. But it was soldered in at both ends of that little volume control board as well as the headphones themselves, so there wasn't much I could do. My electronics repair skill isn't that great anyway, and this wire was hair thin, so that made it pretty much impossible for me to fix.

But yeah, had that been a detachable cord, I could've simply replaced it for a few bucks and would still be using that headset. It's good to know that if something ever goes wrong with the cord on the Sennheisers, I can just do that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbotef View Post
    All in one deal for $80 with excellent build quality and sound goes to the Hyper X Cloud. I'm still surprised by this set and it puts a lot of sets priced higher than it to shame tbh.
    I'll give you a cookie for that.

This might sound stupid, but if its attachable cable, does it mean its wireless when cable is not on, so mic and sound still works or?

...Didnt even know about that feature. Anyway I only use my headphone when I need my mic, never use em for sound, speakers better.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    This might sound stupid, but if its attachable cable, does it mean its wireless when cable is not on, so mic and sound still works or?

...Didnt even know about that feature. Anyway I only use my headphone when I need my mic, never use em for sound, speakers better.
    Nah, it is just for convenience like if you're traveling or anything. You can safely wrap up the cable properly, then, not strain it pulling on the end attached to the headphones or anything.

Plus, if the cable were to break, you can replace it... not the whole headphone-set.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Nah, it is just for convenience like if you're traveling or anything. You can safely wrap up the cable properly, then, not strain it pulling on the end attached to the headphones or anything.

Plus, if the cable were to break, you can replace it... not the whole headphone-set.
    Man that sounds 10/10 good if one was moving alot more or used headphones for other places like school. I move 0 stuff from my "PC setup", but yea...I dont really go to com parties w-e
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Deleted
    Steelseries Siberia Elite are hands down the best pair of headphone I've ever owned (got a 2nd pair just because.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    Man that sounds 10/10 good if one was moving alot more or used headphones for other places like school. I move 0 stuff from my "PC setup", but yea...I dont really go to com parties w-e
    Honestly, cables can still break/get messed up.
    "A flower.