Healers in 2s - Advice?

As a healer in 2s, how much of the game is dictated by the healer just managing defensive cds and keeping themself/teammate alive? I really want some advice on how to really set yourself aside from any average healer CC-wise? Lining up effect chain cc's with your dps' burst is cool to know and all, but are there any other things to keep in mind in order to increase your performance?

I already made a slighty less lazy thread asking this question for my class in particular (Holy Paladin), but it hasn't got any replies yet sadly. This is the general question I want answered though, so thank you all in advance

I think 2v2 can be fun as a healer but it mostly is very tedious. There are basically two playstyles, vs dps/dps and vs dps/healer.

The dps/dps matchup relies mostly around cooldown rotation, not over extending yourself, trying to avoid CC and just keeping your dps alive and mobile long enough to take out someone. These are the games that can be fun, a good dps/dps team can really make a great game and you will win or lose based on your play.

The dps/healer matchup is much more tedious. If you want to avoid super long games you have to play super aggressively which means you will know when it is okay to let your teammate dip a little bit low while you help with dps in order to land a kill. This revolves around you knowing when the other team is vulnerable and when they are strong so you can play accordingly.

I think really the best healers in 2v2 games just have a good feel for when they need to be up in the fray assisting for kills and when they need to be pillar humping and playing a longer game. Of course it is 2v2, there is no reason you can't just go balls deep in every single match. Lose fast, win fast, queue again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrean View Post
    Lose fast, win fast, queue again.

I hate healer comps.

Because I know the arena match will be very long. And I hate long games, long arena matches.

Types of 2s arena games:

1 - dps/dps vs. dps/dps (double dps)
    2 - dps/healer vs. dps/dps (healer team or slow-ass games lol)
    3 - dps/healer vs. dps/healer (healer team or very very slow-ass games lol)

My main is windwalker monk.

I love double dps because it is basically which team can burst the fastest, lol.

I always try to play aggressively because I know that once I start to become more defensive, once i start to play more defensively, i know we will not win. You must play aggressively in order to win in 2s. You have to be aggressive. You can't be too defensive.

I just don't like games with healer teams because they take forever, lol.

Healers are OP, lol.
    Last edited by chaarrllee3000; 2016-01-30 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrean View Post
    I think 2v2 can be fun as a healer but it mostly is very tedious. There are basically two playstyles, vs dps/dps and vs dps/healer.

The dps/dps matchup relies mostly around cooldown rotation, not over extending yourself, trying to avoid CC and just keeping your dps alive and mobile long enough to take out someone. These are the games that can be fun, a good dps/dps team can really make a great game and you will win or lose based on your play.

The dps/healer matchup is much more tedious. If you want to avoid super long games you have to play super aggressively which means you will know when it is okay to let your teammate dip a little bit low while you help with dps in order to land a kill. This revolves around you knowing when the other team is vulnerable and when they are strong so you can play accordingly.

I think really the best healers in 2v2 games just have a good feel for when they need to be up in the fray assisting for kills and when they need to be pillar humping and playing a longer game. Of course it is 2v2, there is no reason you can't just go balls deep in every single match. Lose fast, win fast, queue again.
    Thankyou for the response

Deleted
    I find that if you're a double dps in 2's and you come up against a dps and healer, I guarantee 90% of the time the healer/dps comp usually wins. I rarely play 2's now because when im on my dps classes all you ever get is healer/dps comps and i dont have the patients to chase either of them around the arena!

So, its not hard to win in 2s when you're playing healer/dps comp, only really bad healers fail! Id suggest playing 3's if you can. but if you cant then I have some basic tips that may help (I play holy pala in pvp too):

1. know your class, do you really know everything you would need to know about your holy pala? Are you using your abilities to your advantage? I know that this sounds obvious but you wouldn't believe how many holy palas I've come across who play arenas but they don't even know what their Hand of Freedom is or what it does!

2. Communication is key, use skype if you can, its free and everyone can get it. Always let your team members know what youre doing, if youre in trouble, if you need a peel. You can also discuss how your cc chains are going to work out.

3. Know some basics about other classes, anticipating when another class is going to use certain abilities is always good

4. LoS, I know people think this is a pussy move but going out of line of sight(LoS) always works for healers the best, especially against melee. use the pillars in the arena, if a opposing dps has just popped all their CD's then just go LoS! or run around the pillar with them, bye bye CD's!

5. Remember its jut a game, you win some and you loose some

these are just general tips. I think a lot depends on how you like to play and who your team member is. I play with a frost DK and it works out very well for us in 2's, in 3's we play several comps which comprise of holy pala, enhancement shammy, frost dk, unholy dk, hunter, feral, balance, resto druid.

Hope this helps!
    x

I would also like to give some advice for healers playing arena (or at least when I tried to be a healer lol):

- Fakecast. It is an art. You must learn how to fake-cast. That is, stopping your cast (i.e. Flash of Light) to try and make that melee dps that is sitting on top of you to waste his interrupt (i.e. pummel, kick, spear hand strike, etc.)

That is why I stopped being a healer. I suck at fake-casting lol.

- - - Updated - - -

There is this youtube channel that I would watch: Sacredheals.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Sacredheals

Holy Paladin Guide - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkAPVTDS3BA

When I was trying to learn how to be a healer, I would watch his videos. They are very informative and he talks alot about what healers have to learn how to do (fake-cast, pillar-humping, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedjadey View Post
    I find that if you're a double dps in 2's and you come up against a dps and healer, I guarantee 90% of the time the healer/dps comp usually wins. I rarely play 2's now because when im on my dps classes all you ever get is healer/dps comps and i dont have the patients to chase either of them around the arena!
    That is essentially why the only viable 2x DPS comps either have monstrous burst & control (Rogue/Mage) or so much off/self-healing that they cannot be taken down by just 1 DPS (so any combination of Boomie, Shaman or Ret), effectively forcing the enemy healer to join the fray and be exposed to CC/DoTs/Swaps. All-in Feral comps also work, drop something during Incarnation:Kitty or leave and queue for the next one.

That being said, 2s is mostly just practice for 3s these days. Getting 'good' at it takes an amount of patience and willingness to exploit gimmicky playstyles that just isn't worth it in the grand scheme of things.