770 2GB Vs. 960 4GB

My friend had an Asus GTX 960 4GB OC spare that he gave me. I'm already using a Gigabyte GTC 770 2GB OC. I've read that the 770 outperforms the 960 but only found examples of both of them being 2GB. Will the 960 being 4GB easily beat the 770?

I also read that both cards have to be the same to SLI them, is this the case?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes it needs to be the same to SLI. 4GB is useless most of the time. In general 770 and 960 are about the same and in some games that are plastered with gameworks, the 770 tanks a lot of times cause reasons.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Extra memory doesn't increase performance, it only allows to set higher quality settings in some demanding games. I think 2GB is fine for now.

You can SLI different cards, they must be similar in architecture and so if 770 and 960 are similar they might work (you can try and see), be warned though that the slower card will be the base performance denominator for SLI and you will only have 2gb of memory.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    You can SLI different cards, they must be similar in architecture and so if 770 and 960 are similar they might work (you can try and see), be warned though that the slower card will be the base performance denominator for SLI and you will only have 2gb of memory.
    No you can't. For SLI you need the same chips.
    For crossfire it is possible to use different cards or used to be at least.

Here you can see exactly how much of a difference RAM makes:
    http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/18...-vs-2gb/Page-2

If you take in to account that they used an OCed 4GB and a stocked clock 2GB, that explains the differences on everything but 1 crappy port. For 1080p you don't really need more than 2GB VRAM.