The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account

Strange Auto Power-Ons, Intel Boot Agent.

So my new computer sometimes starts on its own. Usually happens like 4-5 minutes after i shut down the system. I consider it very suspicious, so i decided i would power off the pc after shut down. Today, i found out that the program Intel Boot Agent starts along with the computer. From what i gathered by searching the web this is a utility that allows remote booting of a computer. Since the computer is at home and not used for anything work related atm, it's definitely something i didn't install or would like to have installed. Malwarebytes and Panda AV pro (trial edition, still on trial) found nothing malicious.

Should i be worried that someone from a remote position is taking advantage of my computer and it's resources?

Setup:

CPU: Intel i7-6700k@ 4.00 GHz
    Memory : 32 Gb
    Boot SSD : Samsung 850 EVO 250Gb
    Storage HDD: WD Caviar Black 3Tb
    GFX : Nvidia GTX 980TI-6Gb

If you need more info, just ask for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    So my new computer sometimes starts on its own. Usually happens like 4-5 minutes after i shut down the system. I consider it very suspicious, so i decided i would power off the pc after shut down. Today, i found out that the program Intel Boot Agent starts along with the computer. From what i gathered by searching the web this is a utility that allows remote booting of a computer. Since the computer is at home and not used for anything work related atm, it's definitely something i didn't install or would like to have installed. Malwarebytes and Panda AV pro (trial edition, still on trial) found nothing malicious.

Should i be worried that someone from a remote position is taking advantage of my computer and it's resources?

Setup:

CPU: Intel i7-6700k@ 4.00 GHz
    Memory : 32 Gb
    Boot SSD : Samsung 850 EVO 250Gb
    Storage HDD: WD Caviar Black 3Tb
    GFX : Nvidia GTX 980TI-6Gb

If you need more info, just ask for it.
    I seriously doubt it. There is an option in the BIOS to allow wake on lan. Maybe this is doing it? Though it should not be.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's probably just a misconfiguration somewhere =)

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Should i disable wake up on lan? Should i remove Intel Boot Agent? I definitely do not need remote access to my computer atm, and if i do need, i will read my way to do it safely.

Deleted
    You didn't mention your OS but if you use windows you can run the powercfg command from an elevated command line (command prompt as admin) to gather some more information why the computer woke up:

powercfg /lastwake - returns the reason why your system woke up this time
    powercfg /devicequery wake_arm - show all devices currently configured to wake the system from any sleep mode
    powercfg /waketimers - to see active timers that will wake your system

See https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...(v=ws.10).aspx for more details on powercfg

Windows 10 is also known for being eager to wake up sleeping PCs - http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...dows-10-a.html