Deleted

Do we have a guide on Disc healing?

All I can find is the discussion that would require me to read a 115+ page thread that started somewhere in the WoD Beta and thus is outdated for about half the posts.

Where should I go for talent and glyph comparisons, spell usages, boss-specific advice, small group advice,... I don't have the time to drudge through 50 pages of discussion, I need something that's clear and to the point.

Disc is very cookie-cutter in WoD - in dungeons select Clarity of Will, keep up PWS on as many players as you can while spamming Clarity of Will on the tank.

Holy Fire should be used on CD, along with 2 combinations of offensive penance or smite, per 30 seconds. Cast Archangel on cooldown and wait for a good moment to cast empowered Prayer of Healing, within 15 seconds.

For direct single target healing, cast defensive penance, or flash heal if necessary.

The important glyphs are Glyph of Penance and Glyph of Weakened Soul. Glyph of Holy Fire is a popular 3rd choice. Glyph of Prayer of Mending can be used instead in dungeons.

Mindbender, Power Infusion, Halo, and Words of Mending are common selections for raids. The other tiers are less important - I favor Body and Soul for Tier 30.

Raid healing is spamming PWS while building evangelism to cast 5-stack archangel on CD, with judicial use of empowered prayer of healing and sensible uses of Power Word: Barrier, Pain Suppression, Mindbender, and Halo.

If you have excess mana swap out spirit gear for non-spirit gear, use Draenic Intellect Potions instead of mana potions, and/or cast non-empowered Prayer of Healings when they're effective.

Boss strategies differ considerably depending on your raid group.
    Last edited by Yunzi; 2016-02-01 at 08:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7649

A few things to add for talents/glyphs that I see a lot of new disc priests do.

The following talents and glyphs should never be taken: Glyph of PWS, Twist of Fate, Surge of Light, Spirit Shell, Cascade, Saving Grace.

In raids, excessive casting of Heal or Flash Heal is bad and not needed. Excessive casting of PoH is bad for beginning players. It is more of an advanced technique because it requires good knowledge of when it will actually hit everyone with minimal overheal as well as the mana to support the playstyle. It is something I've seen many new disc priests do that is a bad habit to form and leads to very ineffective healing.

As stupid as it is, always be casting, always. No one is taking damage? K, PWS some people. People are taking damage? K, PWS some people. Always be shielding people because more than likely in HFC they will start taking damage soon. The better you are at picking your targets to shield, the better you will be as a disc priest. Knowing who to shield is something that takes knowledge of the fight and of your other raid members.
    Last edited by Pearl1717; 2016-02-01 at 08:51 PM.
    Arthas Logs] | Azgalor Logs | Twitch | Pearl91#1607
    "I am a chemical engineer. To save time, lets just assume that I am never wrong."

For HFC we made this thread
    For disc specifics, feel free to ask on the discipline priest discussion thread.

Step 1. Use lots of shields
    Step 2. See step one

Quote Originally Posted by Yunzi View Post
    Disc is very cookie-cutter in WoD - in dungeons select Clarity of Will, keep up PWS on as many players as you can while spamming Clarity of Will on the tank.
    I personally like Surge of Light + Words of Mending in dungeons

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl1717 View Post
    http://howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7649

A few things to add for talents/glyphs that I see a lot of new disc priests do.

The following talents and glyphs should never be taken: Glyph of PWS, Twist of Fate, Surge of Light, Spirit Shell, Cascade, Saving Grace.
    Both of those are great talents.

Deleted
    ToF can be an hps increase over PI in certain situations (mostly based on how much you can make use of penance). I'd actually recommend it for tyrant

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    I personally like Surge of Light + Words of Mending in dungeons
    Idk about CM, but I'm always safe with ToF + Saving Grace in dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Both of those are great talents.
    Except Halo is usually twice better or more, and really anything goes for dungeons nowadays as it's too easy.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Deleted
    In case you're still looking, I made a video guide specifically for 6.2 on Discipline priest healing that should hopefully give you something of an idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csDWsErhuZg

Quote Originally Posted by Yunzi View Post
    Saving Grace + bender + dps glyphs works best for me in 5 man dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by Yizu View Post
    Saving Grace + bender + dps glyphs works best for me in 5 man dungeons.
    Yeah, nobody really has the time to hit CoW nowadays when people are running around and chain pulling 24/7.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Deleted
    I think when OP said "small group advice" he didn´t mean dungeons Seeing many of you mention dungeons. But i could be wrong.

Deleted
    Not that it really matters at this point but doing my daily heroic or mythic dungeons I just equip prophecy of fear + sethe, glyph smite then /follow the tank and non-stop press holy nova while reading 2nd screen.
    I usually end with around 60k dps over the whole dungeon, which seems to help more than any additional healing. Tanks can pretty much solo all the 5man content at this point so really the only reason to bring 4 other people is to speed the whole thing up.

I'm unsure if sethe+prophecy is the best DPS setup though, feels like it is but could be that IRP is better - but that's probably better suited to another thread.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shinbout View Post
    I think when OP said "small group advice" he didn´t mean dungeons Seeing many of you mention dungeons. But i could be wrong.
    Actually, that is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. All I'm doing anyway is 5 man dungeons and LFR. LFR is trivial to heal, but dungeons require a whole different mindset.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Yeah, nobody really has the time to hit CoW nowadays when people are running around and chain pulling 24/7.
    but then again, a pw:s and a penance every 10 seconds is usually enough. my healing 5 mans consists of being a shadowpriest and saving someones life every now and then.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Redsparowe View Post
    Not that it really matters at this point but doing my daily heroic or mythic dungeons I just equip prophecy of fear + sethe, glyph smite then /follow the tank and non-stop press holy nova while reading 2nd screen.
    I usually end with around 60k dps over the whole dungeon, which seems to help more than any additional healing. Tanks can pretty much solo all the 5man content at this point so really the only reason to bring 4 other people is to speed the whole thing up.

I'm unsure if sethe+prophecy is the best DPS setup though, feels like it is but could be that IRP is better - but that's probably better suited to another thread.
    does holynova work with PoF?

edit: nvm. lol thats sick
    Last edited by mmoc3c639dd81a; 2016-03-04 at 03:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Congregation of Our Knights Most Heavenly
    Quote Originally Posted by luma View Post
    Idk about CM, .
    Is there an updated guide/bis for CMs?