Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    But there isn't a specific month to celebrate white achievements, if we are going to be fair about it, I think we should have a white history month. (and im black too)
    Lmao.

10chars

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blomster View Post
    Lmao.

10chars
    He did 'Gold digger' at karaoke and rappers are a race.

10+ Year Old Account
    But there isn't a specific month to celebrate white achievements, if we are going to be fair about it, I think we should have a white history month. (and im black too)
    Sure there is, 4th of July, how many people who signed the declaration of independents were of color, what about Mt Rushmore, How many of the faces considered founding fathers and presidents are anybody of color or even another race?

Presidents days? Columbus Day?
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caerr View Post
    I just never got Black History Month. I went to school in Idaho, which definitely doesn't have the best education in place, and I learned and was tested on pretty much everything BHM highlights.
    Black History Month isn't about black history, it's about white guilt.
    This.

Can't we just drop the whole "black privilege" just because of something that happened 150 years ago? Its bad that slavery happened, but it wasnt just an American thing. Slavery was a world wide practice that is still happening today in Africa and other areas of the world. Its deplorable, but why should we keep giving people benefits just because of the color of their skin? Thats unequal to me.

Lmao.

10chars
    I am pretty sure Jaylock is skynet and he is trying to find whatever triggers humanity to off itself.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

Quote Originally Posted by Alexton View Post
    Do you have Asian month, native american, latino month as well is it only black people that manage to cry/whine/nag themselves to their own month ?
    YES! We do have other months that are a observed. I understand you have to spew off, since its not a group you may or may not like. Doing a little search shows we celebrate Women, Asian, Hispanic, Jew and other days.

http://www.loc.gov/law/help/commemorative-observations/

Quote Originally Posted by Alexton View Post
    Do you have Asian month, native american, latino month as well is it only black people that manage to cry/whine/nag themselves to their own month ?
    They do but nobody cares about them and people here get triggered at the mere mention of black history month.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by De thuong View Post
    If black history is american history, why is it separate?
    Damnit, I had my money on one of you dipshits not getting in here until comment 3

Infracted- Keep it Civil
    Last edited by Jester Joe; 2016-02-03 at 03:10 AM.
    disco inferno

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Sure there is, 4th of July, how many people who signed the declaration of independents were of color, what about Mt Rushmore, How many of the faces considered founding fathers and presidents are anybody of color or even another race?

4th of july is recognizing our country's independence from the tyranny of Great Britain and King George the third. We were once English, but knew there was a better way to rule ourselves instead of letting a tyrant king rule for us.

It doesn't matter that none of the founding fathers were black. What does that have anything to do with a month long celebration of "black history?" Why should there be any month celebrating ANY race. Shouldn't the accomplishments of people be highlighted and not their skin color. Again, im saying this from the perspective of a black person myself. I'm tired of people labeling race on everything. Just drop the whole slavery / inequality thing. I'm over it. It happened. I moved on. The rest of the world should too.

I have a question. The history lessons that are located in the Black History Month, are those lessons not learned otherwise? Are they talking about things that aren't a part of the history books?

10+ Year Old Account
    This.

Can't we just drop the whole "black privilege" just because of something that happened 150 years ago? Its bad that slavery happened, but it wasnt just an American thing. Slavery was a world wide practice that is still happening today in Africa and other areas of the world. Its deplorable, but why should we keep giving people benefits just because of the color of their skin? Thats unequal to me.
    Not any more than your post is about black guilt by the same logic, also recognizing black people and their accomplishments in a month when otherwise it ha has been denied, is nor privilege.

Regardless to your color if you don't know this, you are extremely fucking confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    YES! We do have other months that are a observed. I understand you have to spew off, since its not a group you may or may not like. Doing a little search shows we celebrate Women, Asian, Hispanic, Jew and other days.

http://www.loc.gov/law/help/commemorative-observations/
    What purpose does that serve?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post

Those are all days celebrating individual events, not an entire month devoted to the national history of one ethnic group.

I don't care one way or the other about Black History Month, because all modern celebrations are social constructs and no one really gives a shit about the real reason from them anyways, they just care that they get extra days off of work and excuses/venues to drink.

For instance: Next weekend where I'm from we have a long weekend because of a statutory holiday called Family Day. The intent, clearly, is to give families a chance to spend more time together on a day set aside to celebrate "the family". In practice, it's mostly another day to spend away from both work and your family.
    Last edited by jackofwind; 2016-02-01 at 11:18 PM.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archon14 View Post
    Are they talking about things that aren't a part of the history books?
    Probably, given what gets passed off as history books in parts of the USA.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/schooled/...geography.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/whitewashing-civil-war-history-for-young-minds/2015/07/06/1168226c-2415-11e5-b77f-eb13a215f593_story.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...ce1_story.html

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Those are all days celebrating individual events, not an entire month devoted to the national history of one ethnic group.
    I'm pretty sure you don't devote it to one ethnic group.

10+ Year Old Account
    4th of july is recognizing our country's independence from the tyranny of Great Britain and King George the third. We were once English, but knew there was a better way to rule ourselves instead of letting a tyrant king rule for us.

It doesn't matter that none of the founding fathers were black. What does that have anything to do with a month long celebration of "black history?" Why should there be any month celebrating ANY race. Shouldn't the accomplishments of people be highlighted and not their skin color. Again, im saying this from the perspective of a black person myself. I'm tired of people labeling race on everything. Just drop the whole slavery / inequality thing. I'm over it. It happened. I moved on. The rest of the world should too.
    Not really, it recognizes the accomplishments of a lot more than that, and by whom, all of which have been written about and their are streets, currency and other forms of recognition paid to.

Also if it didn't matter if the founding fathers were considered black, then where do those same individuals that came to the U.S then come off by putting wording in a piece of paper that laid claim to land whether they legally claimed or not, I use the term "Legally" Loosely because there were very few who could do much about it who weren't European about land settlements, unless like Natives they were slaughtered for trying.

And I am glad you came in here bellying about what YOU are personally tired of, let me try, I am tired of people who want to be edgy and say I am black and speak out of one side of their mouth and defend bullshit, but out of the same mouth on the other side say dumbest, and racist shit, that if they weren't black or didn't say they were black, they KNOW would be more likely to called.

Can't pretend you are sick of race and labels, when being ignorant and trying to play whatever game you perceive others are.

Black History Month? To me it's just February.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post

I don't care one way or the other about Black History Month, because all modern celebrations are social constructs and no one really gives a shit about the real reason from them anyways, they just care that they get extra days off of work and excuses/venues to drink.

For instance: Next weekend where I'm from we have a long weekend because of a statutory holiday called Family Day. The intent, clearly, is to give families a chance to spend more time together on a day set aside to celebrate "the family". In practice, it's mostly another day to spend away from both work and your family.
    No they go on all year long, along with other claims and celebration, and recognition, whether nationally recognized as a single holiday or not. And I am sure you probably don't give a shit about BHM, hell I might not care, but a large chunk of people do, regardless to you finding value in that or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure you don't devote it to one ethnic group.
    If all the ethnicities of "whites" can be distilled so simply, which they are, then so too can those of "blacks". Therefore, in the context of modern America, African American is an ethnicity. Not an ethnic background, or an ancestry, because those are obviously varied, but it is the current ethnicity for those who call themselves African Americans.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Im disappointed Shinra didnt make this thread. Also happy february as my country dont celebrate this as we probably only had slavery during the viking ages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.