cpu upgrade with w10

Howdy all.

So I'm finally looking to buy an upgrade to my g3258. It was fun while it lasted, but 2 cores is not enough for today's standards.
    Question is, I did the upgrade to w10 when it came out. Can I just switch the cpu and windows will work? I did this when I bought the g3258 and mobo, worked fine (albeit it was with windows 8.1). Switched from e8400 to the g3258, tried to boot to see if it would work (was already ready for format if it didn't work), it worked.
    But since I did the upgrade, I have never switched any "major" component, so I don't really know how is this going to end. Don't have my ssd ready for format just yet, so it's better to ask beforehand.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can switch the CPU and nothing will happen. Switch the motherboard and you'll have to give Microsoft a phone call.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    You can switch the CPU and nothing will happen. Switch the motherboard and you'll have to give Microsoft a phone call.
    It'll work but it's a good idea to reinstall so it does its installation process for the new CPU correctly.

But well, OP can test and see for himself, if he finds it okay enough and not giving problems then whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    It'll work but it's a good idea to reinstall so it does its installation process for the new CPU correctly.

But well, OP can test and see for himself, if he finds it okay enough and not giving problems then whatever.
    Will test it later today, just got back from purchasing the cpu, will use this opportunity to clean the case of dust.
    About calling MS, here's a doubt about windows 10.
    I have a legit w8 key, upgraded it to windows 10. What do I do when I need to format the pc in order to have w10 again? Will the w8 key work to install w10? Do I have to reinstall w8 then upgrade to 10?

10+ Year Old Account
    IMO its always best to do a clean OS reinstall when changing mobo/CPU.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WarBringerPT View Post
    What do I do when I need to format the pc in order to have w10 again? Will the w8 key work to install w10? Do I have to reinstall w8 then upgrade to 10?
    you need to use the media creation tool to create your choice of a boot disk or a bootdrive (flash drive).

follow the instructions here: MEDIA CREATION TOOL
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndra View Post
    you need to use the media creation tool to create your choice of a boot disk or a bootdrive (flash drive).

follow the instructions here: MEDIA CREATION TOOL
    That's not my question. Will the w8 key work and can format and install w10 directly, or do I need to install w8 then upgrade to w10?

Also, pc booted just fine with my new cpu, everything is fine as it was before changing the cpu, though I do need to format it, haven't for a while.

Will test it later today, just got back from purchasing the cpu, will use this opportunity to clean the case of dust.
    About calling MS, here's a doubt about windows 10.
    I have a legit w8 key, upgraded it to windows 10. What do I do when I need to format the pc in order to have w10 again? Will the w8 key work to install w10? Do I have to reinstall w8 then upgrade to 10?

just download the windows 10 iso and burn it then reinstall windows 10 fresh. you dont need a key anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakotsu View Post
    just download the windows 10 iso and burn it then reinstall windows 10 fresh. you dont need a key anymore.
    You sure? so how do you activate it?

10+ Year Old Account
    You sure? so how do you activate it?
    It'll detect your motherboard and link your key automatically.

It'll detect your motherboard and link your key automatically.
    Hm, and what if I change my mobo? Currently searching for a new one since my actual mobo is a shitty entry one that sucks at oc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hm, and what if I change my mobo? Currently searching for a new one since my actual mobo is a shitty entry one that sucks at oc.
    Exactly what Duke said in the first reply:

"Switch the motherboard and you'll have to give Microsoft a phone call. "

Exactly what Duke said in the first reply:

"Switch the motherboard and you'll have to give Microsoft a phone call. "
    Well that sucks, I don't really want to call them. So I'm stuck with a w8 serial key, upgraded into w10, and if I ever format and switch mobo I have to call them to return to w10?

Your key will work on windows 10 install after the november update to win10. Now as with any windows, if you use your key often enough on a different machine you need to call a free number (over here atleast) type in your code and you get a different one you can use. Or if you change enough hardware the same will apply, it's a simple automated process that takes all of 5 min.