Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers
    I can understand how a person believing the Earth is flat would use the argument; "but the horizon is always eye level!", and legitimately not understand why it is actually so. Because the processes and tools which they can make sense of the world by default are not very accurate to the truth of reality.
    What bothers me about this is that you* have to be incredibly arrogant to assume that you* - someone with no instruction in science other than high school - knows better than all those people who studied this for decades about the shape of the earth, evolution, climate change, etc. with such crappy arguments. What is more likely: that you* don't know the explanation for the horizon, or that every single scientist in the world simply forgot to ask "what about the horizon?" when they were studying the shape of the Earth? Go to a library, for god's sake!

This is not just a matter of being ignorant about science. It is a matter of arrogance and naivety.

*I mean a generic you, not specifically you, Fencers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where is the edge supposed to be located?
    Where the edge of anything is located, at the edge. Why is an edge any harder to believe than the equally preposterous claim that the earth is round but things don't fall off the bottom?

We don't know much more than that about the boundary (or edge as you say) because they don't want us to know, they don't want it to be studied. That's why our whole navigation system today is designed to deflect attempts to actually prove the edge exists, but in the old days their control was less complete. That's why we have partial stories, but like many old tales (for example Marco Polo's accounts of his travels) they are distorted by exaggeration that has been compounded by deliberate disinformation. Why do you think there are hidden and restricted libraries like those at the Vatican? Do you really think that's just an innocent accident? Whenever someone starts to ask the wrong questions though, just watch -- they will make sure new stories and movies come out making anyone who questions the accepted stories look paranoid or delusional. Yes, the "turtles all down" story, what a convenient way to dismiss something as the kind of thing only a confused old woman would say.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by RapBreon View Post

I would most likely go to observe and ask some pointed questions in private if I was ever to act on it. This means combating my inherent laziness and apply some intellectual rigor, rather than talk inane shit on MMOC. Meh just keep doin coursera courses on astronomy, drinking vodka and professing my curiosity to a bunch of people who don't care!
    It seems like it would be entertaining, but it would just be more frustrating for you. Your pointed questions have been asked, and they are really good at having reasonable sounding responses.

i think going in on their side would be far more rewarding.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    Where the edge of anything is located, at the edge. Why is an edge any harder to believe than the equally preposterous claim that the earth is round but things don't fall off the bottom?
    Because we have satellite imaging of the earth which is, surprise surprise, round.

Or are you going to claim that it's fake as well?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Talby View Post
    Because we have satellite imaging of the earth which is, surprise surprise, round.

Satellites are just being confused by the enormous transparent convex jellyfish that drifts in our atmosphere. The Earth appears round, but it is only because we are viewing it through the distorting properties of the Great Sky Jellyfish (the GSJ, as it is known)
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Talby View Post

Did they surround the Earth and take a 3D image? No, they took lots of images and it just has the illusion of being a sphere because of something science-y.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Did they surround the Earth and take a 3D image? No, they took lots of images and it just has the illusion of being a sphere because of something science-y.
    The Great Sky Jellyfish. It is known. It is known.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Inb4 a certain someone comes in on a high horse to argue using ad hoc arguments that nobody knows with certainty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Did they surround the Earth and take a 3D image?
    Yes. Yes they did, and continue to do so.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Probably moved to creationism, birther and anti-vax movement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    The Great Sky Jellyfish. It is known. It is known.
    Doesn't sound sciencey to me. Oxycotacetacyalin-B...now that sounds sciencey.

You must be a heretic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Yes. Yes they did, and continue to do so.
    They created something that surrounded the entire Earth? How did we see the Sun through it? Did they do it at night?

I don't think so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because we have never seen pictures edited to tell the story a government wants, right?

Never. http://www.wired.com/2015/07/bronx-d...-photos-edits/

Look at what happens. Assange gets labeled a rapist. Manning gets sent to prison and suddenly turns out to be Chelsea. Snowden is on the run. Even when it comes to data in less controversial settings, where the interchange of information begins to escape their control something happens to discredit the source and those associated with it -- look what happened to Pirate Bay and Megaupload. Even some of the Silk Road case seems oddly contaminated by misconduct among the investigators. What's the common element? Control of information.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Doesn't sound sciencey to me. Oxycotacetacyalin-B...now that sounds sciencey.

You must be a heretic.
    Obama is supporting access to dihydrogen monoxide, a chemical that is linked to certain death.

We must stop him!

10+ Year Old Account
    They created something that surrounded the entire Earth? How did we see the Sun through it? Did they do it at night?
    Satellites are very small, and the Sun is very big.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

I always enjoyed the hollow earth theorist more, but have not seen any of them in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    Because we have never seen pictures edited to tell the story a government wants, right?
    You're just taking the piss, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Satellites are very small, and the Sun is very big.
    If they're very small, how did they get one to surround the entire Earth?

10+ Year Old Account
    If they're very small, how did they get one to surround the entire Earth?
    They use more then one.

-Kujako-

They went back to Middle Earth.

Deleted
    Do people live on both sides of the flat Earth? Do they live on the "thin" sides? How do the flat Earthers explain away videos from the ISS and so on?
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2016-02-04 at 06:08 PM.