Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Facebook now requires your mobile phone number

I just went to Agar.io to pass some time and just as I tried to log in via my Facebook account I was told I wasn't allowed to log in until I fixed some things on Facebook. So off I went to Facebook and I'm told they want my mobile phone number in order to continue using my account!!

So I click the question "Why do I need to verify my identity by providing my phone number?" and it says this:

We want to make sure that this is really you and that you’re connecting to Facebook with just one account.

To verify your identity, you'll need to log into Facebook and follow the on-site instructions to add your mobile number. Your phone number will be added to your profile, but you can choose who can see it there.

Note: Maintaining more than one account is a violation of the Facebook Terms.
    What is this BS? My Facebook is a throw away account used to login to various websites so I can play their shit!! I don't give a shit about Facebook, never posted anything on there ever. I don't want to give my phone number. "We care about your privacy", "We care about security", bla bla bla. I don't want them to know who I am that's the whole point. There's even options to send scans of social security cards and drivers license! I'll pass thanks. Now I've lost all my progress at tons of websites.

How does it improve security anyway? They still don't know it's you, all it says is that you got hold of a phone and used it to link to that account. Even if they need it to verify it's you, someone can impersonate you if you get hold of their phone, that's even worse security.

Deleted
    I've had Facebook asking me for my mobile phone number for a long time now, for me there's always been the option to dismiss it (although it's a bit hidden, you can click an X somewhere I think). I hope that hasn't changed...

Don't use Facebook then?

I've put my phone number on facebook, visible to my friends so they can grab it if they lose it.
    I have been contacted by Facebook through text zero times during all these years.

It doesn't really "require" your mobile phone, for basic usage at least. They've been asking for mine for over a year now and I've been declining it.

And to be fair, if you don't want Facebook to know who you are, then you're using it for the reasons it's not intended for. They have been known to close accounts/force changes when you use a false name in the past. And yes, the initial setup is based on assuming that the person accessing the account is you. Past that though, unless they manage to steal your phone and get your account information, it's an increase in security, like if someone hacks your account and changes your password, you can use your phone to get access back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keadin84 View Post
    I've had Facebook asking me for my mobile phone number for a long time now, for me there's always been the option to dismiss it (although it's a bit hidden, you can click an X somewhere I think). I hope that hasn't changed...
    Can't find it, as soon as I try to login there's a "Please Complete a Security Check" window and I have to enter a mobile phone number. Maybe I've been hacked on the other side of the world and they've restricted my account. The password wasn't very strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    Don't use Facebook then?
    What kind of answer is that? The account was setup years ago as a throwaway account and only now they've started to ask for my phone number right out of the blue. It means I'll have to abandon some games I've been playing on certain websites that use Facebook to login that's all, no biggy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostile View Post
    I've put my phone number on facebook, visible to my friends so they can grab it if they lose it.
    I have been contacted by Facebook through text zero times during all these years.
    One thing to also remember is that if they've setup their phone to retrieve Facebook account data - then that number is also pulled automatically. Then they can't lose your number, even if you change it, as long as you keep your profile up to date.

Its a handy little convenience thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been declining to add mine as well, haven't had any issues with it.

If you're really concerned and just using FB for the reasons you said, isn't it really easy to get alternate phone number's through things like google voice and probably a lot of other options?

15+ Year Old Account
    No, it doesn't.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

10+ Year Old Account
    I went to Agar and logged in via facebook and it didn't ask me for my phone (which I dont have listed) so it may be something flagged on your account.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Facebook is just legal spyware.

Quote Originally Posted by Averrix View Post
    Facebook is just legal spyware.
    Tinfoil hat ahoy.

To OP: Just click no or the x, I've never given them my number.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinan View Post
    Tinfoil hat ahoy.

To OP: Just click no or the x, I've never given them my number.
    Well, it's basically true though.

http://digg.com/video/guy-freaks-peo...al-information

People can learn a lot about people through social media. Jobs check out social media before hiring people, because they can get info they would not normally or legally be able to obtain elsewhere, similar to spyware. Jobs fire people over social media all the time as well, because they are using it to spy on you. I know of 2 people who lost their jobs this way.

My wife's sister used to work at a Deli. One morning, she was opening and got there to see a bong just sitting on the sidewalk in front of the store. She thought it funny and posted a picture of it on her facebook. She got fired because the picture included both the bong and their logo.

One of my former warehouse employee's son worked at a call center. He requested a certain day off, more than a month in advance, for his son's birthday party. He was given the day off, but then later told he needed to come in anyway. He called in sick but his mother-in-law took a picture of him and tagged him on Facebook during the party. He got fired.

It's not a tin hat thing, it's simply the truth. People are all concerned about privacy all the time, yet share all their personal moments on Facebook and are surprised when people know that info.

To be fair, this isn't just a Facebook thing or a new practice in general. Google has been nagging me about that shit for years. I usually just use Thunderbird to access anything Gmail, but Google begs me for my mobile number every time I log in through gmail.com. Even Steam has been asking me for it a while now.

I think the main purpose is supposed to be account recovery (they text you a super duper top secret code that will let you log back in if you forget your password or get hacked or something). I haven't bothered because I don't give enough of a shit about my Gmail account to care if it gets hacked. All I use it for is when a website requires some kind of bullshit "registration" in order for me to download something. I always give them that instead of my main email, and that's where all the spam goes. I just pop in and empty it every once in a while.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2016-02-11 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post

It's not a tin hat thing, it's simply the truth. People are all concerned about privacy all the time, yet share all their personal moments on Facebook and are surprised when people know that info.
    Its not spying if you're dumb enough to do stupid shit like that, if you post it and they can easily search it, thats not spying.

10+ Year Old Account
    My use of Facebook died when people started putting up crap all day. Here's my baby, here's my cat, here's my plate of food. Let them have Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    My use of Facebook died when people started putting up crap all day. Here's my baby, here's my cat, here's my plate of food. Let them have Facebook.
    Yeah, damn those parents posting pictures of their babies.
    Facebook is getting irritating though, it's just people posting clickbait and regurgitated memes from 2009 at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Well, it's basically true though.

It's not "legal spyware" when you voluntarily sign up for the service and agree to their terms. If terms change and you continue to use it - you're still agreeing to their terms.
    Spyware installs itself stealthily and without your permission; social media is a choice. Facebook/Instagram/whatever doesn't install itself.
    "Tinfoil ahoy" indeed (and that cracked me up). Legal spyware is a cute metaphor for social media, though - i did get a chuckle out of that comment.

The only truth about social media is not a damn thing is private...even if you have the most restricted privacy settings setup. Your information is bought and sold as soon as it is posted. Don't want it available? Don't use the service. Derp.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    Yeah, damn those parents posting pictures of their babies.
    Facebook is getting irritating though, it's just people posting clickbait and regurgitated memes from 2009 at this point.
    FB has been irritating to me for a long time; I deactivated it last October when my idiot family members kept regurgitating their uninformed bullshit that was easily disproved by a simple google search. The straw that broke the camel's back for me was when my uncle flat out told me that "snopes is wrong"...when snopes clearly provided the evidence and my uncle chose to ignore it because it defeated his pathetic political meme.
    I've been happy ever since quitting social media; but damn if that shit isn't like a narcotic.

Just tried to log on to FB. I will not give them my phone #. For those who have given FB you #, try googling your #. I found my number doing a search. I only used that name with FB. FB had to give my phone number out. That was 2 years ago, or there about. I dont use FB other than sometime to see a video that someone refers to it.

Infracted for thread necro - Cilraaz
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2018-01-02 at 06:22 AM.

It's optional,

I've given mine in a few months ago as it was a new security feature tied into "trusted" friends to help recover an account quickly. Premise is good with it, haven't had to use it yet thankfully