Question Can hearthstone's "side games" alone validate an install?

Dear Hearthstone people:

I am a WoW player who isn't very patient in waiting for the next Warcraft mobile game, but does play a lot of mobile titles on the go and at work. I do not generally do the MTG-Style "traditional TCG," but the auto chess of battlegrounds and the forthcoming "roguelike" feature mentioned at Blizzconline are both modes I enjoy in other mobile games, as these are strong moble genre modes of their own.

I have not followed Hearthstone because it thusfar has not been a game I can really play in the windows I get to play mobile games: I need to be able to put it down at a whim, and I can't have "when I play" each day dictated to me by the game itself. Hearthstone as a TCG asks too much of a minimum session, but these other modes look really attractive!

My question for you: Based on the example laid down by battlegrounds (which, again, I didn't follow but am now considering with the other entirely new mode forthcoming), if the new mode is just as involved, is Hearthstone worth playing "for everything but the card game?"

Thanks in advance for any and all helpful replies!

When I am not a fan of the current meta or can't get the right legendaries I have no problem just mindlessly playing the battlegrounds, I think they're definitely worth if you're just looking to kill some time and not worry too much

Quote Originally Posted by Omedon View Post
    Dear Hearthstone people:

I am a WoW player who isn't very patient in waiting for the next Warcraft mobile game, but does play a lot of mobile titles on the go and at work. I do not generally do the MTG-Style "traditional TCG," but the auto chess of battlegrounds and the forthcoming "roguelike" feature mentioned at Blizzconline are both modes I enjoy in other mobile games, as these are strong moble genre modes of their own.

I have not followed Hearthstone because it thusfar has not been a game I can really play in the windows I get to play mobile games: I need to be able to put it down at a whim, and I can't have "when I play" each day dictated to me by the game itself. Hearthstone as a TCG asks too much of a minimum session, but these other modes look really attractive!

My question for you: Based on the example laid down by battlegrounds (which, again, I didn't follow but am now considering with the other entirely new mode forthcoming), if the new mode is just as involved, is Hearthstone worth playing "for everything but the card game?"

Thanks in advance for any and all helpful replies!
    I don't think the "HS asks for a minimum session" part is true. You can play casually. I play perhaps 5 games per week When I jave a few minutes to spare every now and then and do just fine.

Battlegrounds has to be the most mindnumbing mode ever. I stopped playing it before elementals were introduced.

If you want casual fun I recommend duels.

I'm not sure what to think about the new game mode. Dungeon runs and whatnot where already roguelike modes. Not sure how much they can deviate from that to make it a whole new game mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    I don't think the "HS asks for a minimum session" part is true.
    Playing a start to finish duel against another live player on their time is too much to ask of the scenarios in which I fiddle around with mobile titles at work. This is largely a personal taste thing as opposed to meeting any objective standard.

Playing a start to finish duel against another live player on their time is too much to ask of the scenarios in which I fiddle around with mobile titles at work. This is largely a personal taste thing as opposed to meeting any objective standard.
    A game of duels should last less than a game of BGs. You can play 1-2 games and continue the duels run later. You don't have to go for the 12 wins or 3 loses in one go. I've taken over a week to finish a duels session when playing casually.

Also, i'm talking about "Duels" The game mode. Not challenging a friend to a duel.
    Last edited by Ragnarohk; 2021-02-23 at 10:44 PM.

A game of duels should last less than a game of BGs. You can play 1-2 games and continue the duels run later. You don't have to go for the 12 wins or 3 loses in one go. I've taken over a week to finish a duels session when playing casually.
    Ok but closing a live card game Vs another player because "work just happened" isn't the same as closing a battleground, is it?

Or are battlegrounds necessarily immediate, direct PVP?

I don't think the "HS asks for a minimum session" part is true. You can play casually. I play perhaps 5 games per week When I jave a few minutes to spare every now and then and do just fine.

Battlegrounds has to be the most mindnumbing mode ever. I stopped playing it before elementals were introduced.

If you want casual fun I recommend duels.

I'm not sure what to think about the new game mode. Dungeon runs and whatnot where already roguelike modes. Not sure how much they can deviate from that to make it a whole new game mode.
    The new mode seems like it's going to be almost like that marvel mobile game where you collect heroes and level them up to fight against things. It's not even remotely like Slay the Spire as they directly said.

Hearthstone battleground is the only reason I have the game installed and it's fun if you want to kill 10-15 mins or w/e.

Ok but closing a live card game Vs another player because "work just happened" isn't the same as closing a battleground, is it?

Or are battlegrounds necessarily immediate, direct PVP?
    ??? Hmm i don't get your post.

Perhaps you are thinking about dueling a friend. I'm talking about the relatively new game mode called Duels that acts like a mix between constructed and dungeon runs. You construct a deck of 15 cards and then build your deck on the go while playing against other people. Youget offered "buckets" of cards and treasures. The run ends when you hit 12 wins or 3 loses, like arena.

Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
    The new mode seems like it's going to be almost like that marvel mobile game where you collect heroes and level them up to fight against things.
    I'm so excited for this, hence the thread!

Quote Originally Posted by bmjclark View Post
    Hearthstone battleground is the only reason I have the game installed and it's fun if you want to kill 10-15 mins or w/e.
    This is the kind of feedback I'm looking for, thank you!

I'm so excited for this, hence the thread!

This is the kind of feedback I'm looking for, thank you!
    In my opinnion, duels is the best mode for casual fun. They don't get repetitive like BGs do because you have tons of options to mix and match. Hero, hero power, starting deck, treasures, and buckets.

Like I mentioned before, you don't have to do the whole run in 1 go. You can play a few games and continue later.

Last edited by Ragnarohk; 2021-02-23 at 11:00 PM.