Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Anyone miss gold currency having a meaning in warcraft?

Remember the days when gold used to mean something, not just another currency in your bags, remember when every single gold coin was valuable in its own right? Gold used to be used for everything and not many people had a lot of gold, most people would be carrying around 100 gold, 3k was considered extremely rich, every class had to spend money on basic things, rogues had to buy vanishing powder so they could use a core ability, hunters had to buy ammunition for their bows, raiders had to buy tons of potions of the auction house just to defeat certain bosses, every death had a big consequence as repairing your gear was extremely punishing, buying an epic mount was a huge investment, there was never hardly ever any epics on the auction house and when one did pop up it was an epic set bracer or a belt or something but they were huge upgrades to blue items so if you were lucky enough to have enough gold to buy one it felt like a huge investment for your character

people used to farm for hours on end in places like tyrs hand on elite mobs with the risk of dying a lot for the chance of a blue drop or even an epic to strike lucky, it just meant so much more and players would actively go out into the world to farm mobs for gold and random world pvp would ensue, it's just another thing that is sadly been taken away from the game and holds little importance.

Whats the point in going out into the world and farming random mobs for drops and gold anymore when gold is so easily obtainable?

I don't know about anybody else but I used to love grinding mobs in tyr's hand for gold and item drops, as well as potions for pvp

All it is used for now is for game time tokens, a random mount or some other vanity item, it no longer has meaning to have gold in the game anymore.
    Last edited by mmoca138a41cd8; 2016-02-17 at 12:08 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not really. I don't really care what other's have in game.

One less headache to deal with, so no.

Yes, I remember having to work like crazy to get gold. I also remember being excited to get green items, thrilled to get a mount, and thinking that dungeons were only for good players. I didn't even know what a raid was. Good times.

That said, I'm not sure most players in WoW are swimming in gold. Not all players have leveled lots of alts and built up garrisons. I know I haven't. I have four max level toons with garrisons and only two of them are really built to make max gold at all. I don't play with making gold in mind and I never have. Raking in the fake cash doesn't do it for me. I don't think being into making gold is bad at all, it just isn't my thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    Gold still has a meaning. How else are you going to get a sub without paying real money for it? I know if it wasn't for tokens I wouldn't be playing.
    The tokens would still exist, they just wouldn't cost as much as they do now if gold was still hard to come by like it was back then.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2016-02-17 at 12:59 AM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Still has a meaning OP, just like the dollar still has a meaning.

Inflation doesn't stop a currency having a meaning - it just sometimes tweaks what that meaning is a little.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Deleted
    The game has lost complete meaning at all fronts. Your example with the gold is a good one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zupf View Post
    The game has lost complete meaning at all fronts. Your example with the gold is a good one.
    everything I post has meaning tbh, it all stems to vanilla been the better game, and that a lot of the things that have been removed or forgotten about, all added up to a major improvement in terms of gameplay and longevity.

There is one massive discrepancy regarding this exact topic among past posts and people on a few realm /2.

1. People complain that there's "nothing to do" and "nothing to earn", and wish they could go back to the old days where everything needed farming, time, and effort.
    2. The exact same people say "yeah I'm glad that gold is a useless resource because it was a pain in the ass".

Seriously, back in BC with Epic Flying, I remember a friend of mine literally taking out a loan from a guy and spending every day making the gold back to pay him. That's how much gold used to mean. It was something that actually showed off some sort of prestige, like "wow that guy has like 50K gold, he can seriously buy so much stuff, but still worked so damn hard to do it". Now, it only takes 2 weeks to a month to make 1 million gold, and 1 mil is still capable of buying a lot. (Would recommend checking Studen Albatroz on YouTube and see how easy it is to use a Garrison to borderline AFK earn gold).

It comes down to whether or not people want to spend the extra time finding awesome places to farm gold and get rich, meaning cool mounts etc., or if their core focus in the game is hardcore raiding where gold and cosmetics don't mean anything. I think a lot of people on MMO-C would prefer to just have easier access to the potions and other gold-sinks, without spending even more time getting the gold, and that's understandable, because they want progress, and the gold actually literally is just a pain in the ass.
    I personally loved busting my ass to get gold, just because I tend to do that in every single game (prioritize wealth over other goals like level/progress).

If one considers wealth a purpose in the game, it's 100% understandable that people wish gold meant something. It used to be more (forgive me for using this word)... "sandboxy". Right now, the only goal in the game is max level and progress. Wealth and even world records are out of the picture.

Don't mind my rant. I think people on both sides of the coin are correct. If I was a top ten mythic raider, I wouldn't want to spend even more hours just farming for gold.

EDIT: Even max level isn't a goal anymore. Simply purchasing the full game is a free max level character. So just progress.

I also want to say that there still are people who are so stupidly rich that they could play WoW for free for the end of eternity. But those people are often massive tycoons in the TGC mount economy, who are literally willing to pay for transfers and such just to make a sale. Those people are definitely still proving that gold means something, but 6-8 years ago, it wasn't THAT hardcore to the point that it's a business.
    Last edited by Stuneree; 2016-02-17 at 01:37 AM.

i7 4690K/4.7GHz | GTX 960 SSC (x2 SLI) | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws | Gigabyte Z97X SLI | Corsair CX600W | Corsair Air 540 Silver | Corsair H110i Cooler
    XL2430T @ 144Hz | Corsair K70 RGB Brown | Logitech G400S/800DPI+1.2 sens+Raw Input | QcK+

Gold has *some* value due to the fact you can buy subs and there are MANY people who buy tokens off the AH, so not everyone is making 1mil gold a week...I'd say the millionaires are in the minority in this game.

I was the first in my guild and of my friends to have flying in BC. I seem to remember that was around 5k gold. It took me MANY 12hr days farming crap (I didn't really know how to make gold well back then) on a hunter and hoping for a lucky drop of a blue/epic. I was able to buy flying on 2 chars and when I quit I had over 5k gold saved up. That meant something.

I much prefer to login twice a day on my garrison and have millions of gold fall into my lap for doing nothing. Who wouldn't? I know I am not alone as the cost of stuff has gone up and the rich are able to get what they want from the BMAH. When rare mounts come up, they are almost always gold capped.

The garrison made it TOO easy. Combine that with 100% felblight from Kaz and tradeskills being so easy with work orders and followers...I kept spending money but unless I start buying mythic carries, it comes back faster than I can spend it....

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember leveling up for the first time and realizing that for my first mount it would cost me 100g!! That was an unfathomable amount to me at the time... Now it's less than pocket change...

Quote Originally Posted by Themanintobuildafire View Post
    Gold has *some* value due to the fact you can buy subs and there are MANY people who buy tokens off the AH, so not everyone is making 1mil gold a week...I'd say the millionaires are in the minority in this game.

I was the first in my guild and of my friends to have flying in BC. I seem to remember that was around 5k gold. It took me MANY 12hr days farming crap (I didn't really know how to make gold well back then) on a hunter and hoping for a lucky drop of a blue/epic. I was able to buy flying on 2 chars and when I quit I had over 5k gold saved up. That meant something.

I much prefer to login twice a day on my garrison and have millions of gold fall into my lap for doing nothing. Who wouldn't? I know I am not alone as the cost of stuff has gone up and the rich are able to get what they want from the BMAH. When rare mounts come up, they are almost always gold capped.

The garrison made it TOO easy. Combine that with 100% felblight from Kaz and tradeskills being so easy with work orders and followers...I kept spending money but unless I start buying mythic carries, it comes back faster than I can spend it....
    That's a great point. And you seem to fall right in the middle of the two categories. But right now the items that are so expensive can't be a reason to say "I'm glad so much gold falls into my lap", because something worth 300K today would have been worth exponentially less back then (inflation). There are still things that are hard to get due to money, it's just there isn't much that couldn't be bought in a few weeks (if you at least have some idea of what you're doing).

For brand new players though, I imagine gold is probably an amazing resource because they won't have a great idea of how to get it. And that's great, at least some people are still working hard for their gold.

And yeah I agree, the garrisons made gold AFKable, and made professions useless. God I remember how badass maxed Enchanters used to be. There weren't many on my server, so we'd need to wait for them to come online just to help us out. (Not a very good server lol). Now it's a few days of work if that to achieve better.

i7 4690K/4.7GHz | GTX 960 SSC (x2 SLI) | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws | Gigabyte Z97X SLI | Corsair CX600W | Corsair Air 540 Silver | Corsair H110i Cooler
    XL2430T @ 144Hz | Corsair K70 RGB Brown | Logitech G400S/800DPI+1.2 sens+Raw Input | QcK+

At the end of TBC I traded 33k gold to my old boss for a computer worth about $300 CDN that I gave to my parents (parents are still using it). Now I spend 60k gold per month to save the $20 subscription fee. Gold is a lot less valuable now.
    "Oh, you know what? You could bitch about anything couldn't you?" - Leonard L. Church

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daish View Post
    that first epic mount so few people had gold for it
    I remember hitting level 40 on my warrior and spending a week on and off farming mithril in Alterac to afford the 100g for my first mount. Man, I felt like I earned that mount. I was so happy.

Hit leveling my alt warlock to 60, saving up and having a friend help me on the Dreadsteed quest. I felt both the rush of achievement of getting the mount as well as feeling quite pleased with myself for how frugal I'd been.

I gave my 60 druid my first cash-gold epic mount so he could more efficiently herb around Un'Goro to pay for my Warrior's epic mount. Again, I valued them all.

I remember getting epic flight in 2.0 before the first dailies came in by murdering blood elves on the Black Temple steps and selling the marks on the AH. Really felt like I earned that.

Man, 13k gold for that Chopper in WOTLK. Crazy! How was I ever going to get one of those? Well, turns out getting the flu the week of WOTLK's launch helps. Hit level 78, got my flying, went to sholozar and mined for days. I was a engineer but I needed to buy those static parts from the Goblin in Storm Peaks. I was one of the first people on the server and I felt so proud of my new motorbike and gave everyone rides around Dalaran for hours.

Kind of sad those moments will never come around in the game again.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nostalgia prevents you from remembering the dark times. It was just tedious to get gold.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Niteowl View Post
    I remember leveling up for the first time and realizing that for my first mount it would cost me 100g!! That was an unfathomable amount to me at the time... Now it's less than pocket change...
    that's what I mean, repairs, 100g? Right click. Done. Walk away, gold and everything else for that matter mean little anymore, that is what I am trying to say

The game is a stroll to max level, a stroll to gear up, a stroll to get gold, a stroll to unsub, that is unacceptable, this game used to be so much more.

Its a robotic, linear stroll, in everything this game is, linear, with nothing in between. Quests are a linear path to max level, you can afk in dungeons, challenge, immersion mean nothing anymore, and legion is the same deal. A linear 1 path expansion with a few more things to do at max level. and Its took them over 2 years to release it, unacceptable
    Last edited by mmoca138a41cd8; 2016-02-17 at 02:12 AM.

Deleted
    Let me put in into perspective for you guys who are yammering on about golds "worth" you sounds exactly like like this guy

The main point starts 10 seconds into the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Nostalgia prevents you from remembering the dark times. It was just tedious to get gold.
    I do agree, it was definitely annoying. It's hard for me to decide what I prefer sometimes. It's more "something to earn, without a set schedule". Even a couple months ago I spent a few days gold farming and it felt nice despite the hours. But then again, it used to be difficult to the point of real life interference.

It's hard to differ between nostalgia and, I guess in my case, just wanting something to spend a few hours earning a day.

Wow, gold sure as fuck still has a meaning for ME. Also, grinding is incredibly boring.

/shrug

Quote Originally Posted by Rudkobing View Post
    Wow, gold sure as fuck still has a meaning for ME. Also, grinding is incredibly boring.

/shrug
    Gold can still have a huge benefit; I mean, people with 1mil gold still could have earlier in this expansion had a nice advantage in iLvls without as much work buy simply buying BoEs (though obviously that's limited). I guess the appeal is just DIFFERENT now than before, not worse.