Deleted

Question Unsure how to start with gearing

Hey,

I've been playing class stories and kotfe on and off, but never bothered much with the endgame content. Now I'd really like to give it a try, but so far, I'm confused. There are five bazillion dailies from all expansions, dungeons, ops, tactical fps, as well as a quadrillion of different reward marks. I come from wow, so the badge system is familiar obviously, but..

I really don't know where to start. What is worth doing, what isn't? Just doing it all seems excessive, there's more stuff per week than fits in the quest log, and finding groups for anything but tac fps seems to be problematic.

Any hints would be appreciated. Thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    If your plan is to gain data crystals. Do all the dailies and turn in the cases to their respective turn ins. You get 30 Green, 20 Blue and 10 Purple crystals every 2 influence levels. Spend your greens on all the main set gear, blue on implants/ears and purple on relics. Attach augments (if you can). After all is done, look for group that raids.

Deleted
    Definitely useful! Thanks!

Depends on what type on end-game content you're interested in.

You can honestly jump straight into the LFG raid finder with little issue. It bolsters your stats up so your current gear will be more than sufficient. You can either wing it, or youtube/dulfy the bosses for guidance. Most of the ops finder bosses are tuned to be a cake walk so you can probably get carried. It's by far the best way to gear up and you don't have to bother with dailies. I wouldn't bother with tacticals at all unless you really enjoy them. The gear isn't great and a number of them are severely over tuned. HM fps aren't bad, but honestly you'll gear quicker just doing the daily ops finder every day. If you don't like any of that just do the weekly heroics and whatever dailies you find enjoyable for crystals and buy gear as you accumulate enough crystals.

I'd gear up through ops finder and if you find it interesting start looking for a raiding guild. You should do that anyways, but you might have limited options until you get some gear. Just a quick warning with ops finder... Temple of Sacrifice, Ravagers, and Explosive Conflict can all give pugs a rough time. You might want to skip those at first. Karraga's Palace and Eternity Vault are basically loot pinatas. The others fall somewhere in between the two extremes, but most groups will clear them with only a few bumps.
    Last edited by Treeba; 2016-02-14 at 09:47 PM.

Deleted
    Also to note, with the latest patch, you can get a decent entry level gear set from crafting alone.
    Though for some odd reason the new relics are bind on pickup, hopefully an oversight

Deleted
    As long as you don't intend to go beyond story mode ops, don't bother (too much) with gearing. Thanks to bolster, you can run these completely naked apart from a mainhand.

Still, Bioware's balancing is all over the place, and some fights are tricky for pugs even in story: Denova minefield is a no-nonsense dps check, Master/Blaster needs a certain level of competence from all players involved, and everybodies darling Underlurker in ToS is bugged in new and semi-surprising ways.

Deleted
    i disagree, some story mode ops are challenging and require crystal gear (like ToS) at least. If you want to start serious raiding just farm heroics (also usefull for cash, KotFE and legacy bound armors) and HM FPs to get at least 216 crystal gear (armor, implants, earpiece, offhand, mainhand). Dont worry about hilts/barrels, you can get those easily from the easiest tokens on sm ops. As for relics, you can play some pvp to get enough comms for at least 204 ones (and i suppose u could do the same for some of the rest of the gear also, although 208 pvp would be kinda minimum for armor). Also, be sure to peruse some gearing guides for 4.0 to learn what kind of stat distribution u should aim for, what kind of relics u need and to learn the optimal rotation for your spec. If u do all that u should easily be able to start raiding some sm ops with a semi-competent group and that way u can avoid spending cash on augmenting inferior gear (and augment only ur ops token pieces). The other way is to join some guild with experienced raiders and ask them for help, if the group is good, then yeah, u can practically run around naked :P, but thats rarely the case ith random groups.

OP, I recall wandering around the fleet puzzled by all the missions that were available, not sure what to do and what goes where. In the end, I decided on the dreaded LFG and have been running tactical flashpoints since. You have good and bad days So my advice is explore a little and find out what interests you.

At the end of the day, esp after you have been around a while, there isn't really that much to do, which is why people are quitting (and I have just unsubbed too).