Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

#BlackLivesMatter goes international

http://mg.co.za/article/2016-02-17-u...nst-protesters

Protesters claiming discrimination in how UCT allocates dorm rooms burned historic paintings, lit a bus and other vehicles on fire, and petrol bombed the vice chancellor's office. Eventually they had to call in riot police and disperse the crowd with stun grenades and rubber bullets.

Interesting enough, one of the people arrested at the protests is the son of the CEO of ESKOM, the largest electricity provider in Africa. I tend to fall into cynicism when I hear about kids who come from extreme wealth promoting violent riots.

There is a great deal of injustice still evident in many places in the world, but it is a long road to fix these types of problems. Rioting and setting fires provides a 'release' in the extreme short term, but has extremely negative consequences in the long run. Too many of these movements are pushing for changes which I view as tokenism, such as tearing down statues or changing the names of buildings.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Absolutely hilarious beyond belief. The mindset of these people of breaking shit and throwing a tantrum to "change" something is laughable. Forget getting educated and making your way into the system to rationally discuss and change things, lets continue to smash some cars! That will fix it!

Passed a truck today that had a sign painted on it that read "black babies matter, no abortion zone." All along the side of the truck was the name of babies who were aborted. That truck is going to get a few dents in it i believe. Takes some serious balls to paint a target like that on your vehicle.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm failing to see the connection between the thread title and the actual article.

I'm saying this, since the title would imply that a further social movement has spread to South Africa, while there is no indication that the two matters are related at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    Passed a truck today that had a sign painted on it that read "black babies matter, no abortion zone." All along the side of the truck was the name of babies who were aborted. That truck is going to get a few dents in it i believe. Takes some serious balls to paint a target like that on your vehicle.
    Is the truck itself a no abortion zone? Because that makes sense since back of truck abortions are unsafe and probably illegal...

OT: Wasn't BLM protesting white police violence? Because the police in UTC look mostly black...

Quote Originally Posted by Gadion View Post
    I'm failing to see the connection between the thread title and the actual article.

I'm saying this, since the title would imply that a further social movement has spread to South Africa, while there is no indication that the two matters are related at all.
    Both of these movements began with the dissemination of a hashtag on Twitter, it seems obvious that BLM has had a big influence on #RhodesMustFall, and you do see people carrying signs at the UCT protests that reference BLM. Furthermore, the rhetoric and social justice underpinnings of these movements is nearly identical, even though they are on different continents. I think it is entirely fair to say what is happening at universities in Africa is a reaction to social justice activism that started in other parts of the world.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    Black lives matter!

What about the hundreds of thousands of Black babies aborted each year?

SHUT UP!

What about the thousands of Blacks killed by other Blacks each year?

SHUUUTTTTT UPPPP!@~!@~!@~!@
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    Both of these movements began with the dissemination of a hashtag on Twitter, it seems obvious that BLM has had a big influence on #RhodesMustFall, and you do see people carrying signs at the UCT protests that reference BLM. Furthermore, the rhetoric and social justice underpinnings of these movements is nearly identical, even though they are on different continents. I think it is entirely fair to say what is happening at universities in Africa is a reaction to social justice activism that started in other parts of the world.
    Fair enough, I can see that I was wrong. There is even a banner in the video that seems to refer to BLM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    Black lives matter!

SHUT UP!

Sounds about right. I mean the white person is the whole reason that this black person decided to kill this black person. Heaven forbid personal accountability ever come into play here.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich
    Liberals are against discrimination, except when it coincides with their own personal hatreds. .
    Quote Originally Posted by Luxxor
    Yah because I'm stroking my evil lapcat while sitting in my Ivory tower of oppression built on the skulls of those less fortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by Scyclone View Post
    Sounds about right. I mean the white person is the whole reason that this black person decided to kill this black person. Heaven forbid personal accountability ever come into play here.
    This, and where is this? Australia? South Africa? Says at the top of the article, missed it. Cape town. Hahahaha the police force there is 95% black... Police Brutality!

10+ Year Old Account
    This is tribalism.

I would equate this more to the Missouri protest as this was about the UCT and not police or government. What I do not understand is why the UCT went to court to get an interdict to prevent violent protests. Can they not do anything on their own?

7+ Year Old Account
    These protesters are in their angsty immature phase, they'll grow up eventually.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    http://mg.co.za/article/2016-02-17-u...nst-protesters

Protesters claiming discrimination in how UCT allocates dorm rooms burned historic paintings, lit a bus and other vehicles on fire, and petrol bombed the vice chancellor's office. Eventually they had to call in riot police and disperse the crowd with stun grenades and rubber bullets.

Interesting enough, one of the people arrested at the protests is the son of the CEO of ESKOM, the largest electricity provider in Africa. I tend to fall into cynicism when I hear about kids who come from extreme wealth promoting violent riots.

There is a great deal of injustice still evident in many places in the world, but it is a long road to fix these types of problems. Rioting and setting fires provides a 'release' in the extreme short term, but has extremely negative consequences in the long run. Too many of these movements are pushing for changes which I view as tokenism, such as tearing down statues or changing the names of buildings.
    Another day and another racist dog whistle post. We get it, for black civil rights movements to gain legitimacy in the eyes of the lawful and successful whites, they must protest and redress their grievances in accordance to the society which is oppressing them.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    Another day and another racist dog whistle post. We get it, for black civil rights movements to gain legitimacy in the eyes of the lawful and successful whites, they must protest and redress their grievances in accordance to the society which is oppressing them.
    What injustice are they protesting?

Dorm allocation?

You think this warrants burning buses?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    What injustice are they protesting?

Dorm allocation?

You think this warrants burning buses?
    Don't ask me, read their fucking website. Why is your first assumption is to dismiss a social movement? What is threatening about people redressing their grievances to society, their government?

Wait, wait, let me end this thread. The BLM movement is a product of liberal PC SJWs who are professional victims and are just a bunch of entitled feral thugs who are being brainwashed by Al Sharpton.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

Another day, another attack the messenger post. We get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    Black lives matter!

SHUT UP!

A culture can face multiple issues simultaneously, and answering one issue with a red herring is inappropriate.
    Games I'm playing right now (not necessarily literally):
    D3, CS:GO, TF2, Hearthstone
    Hit me up if you wanna play sometime.

Don't ask me, read their fucking website. Why is your first assumption is to dismiss a social movement? What is threatening about people redressing their grievances to society, their government?
    Some one is angry and did not even read the article, just attacked.

Wait, wait, let me end this thread. The BLM movement is a product of liberal PC SJWs who are professional victims and are just a bunch of entitled feral thugs who are being brainwashed by Al Sharpton.
    Hey, thanks for ending the thread like that, couldn't have said it better myself.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.