Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    That is probably the most entertaining thing I have read this morning.

So I am supposed to believe Atheists who only focus on any potential (and outdated by any modern christian standards) flaws and blow it up disproportionately know better than people who make Christianity a large part of their life and actively read and study the bible and its meaning?

Yeah, not buying it.
    Many atheists have read and studied the Bible. Most Christians have not. The vast majority of Christians rely on their preacher for their Biblical knowledge, at least in America.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

10+ Year Old Account

So I am supposed to believe Atheists who only focus on any potential (and outdated by any modern christian standards) flaws and blow it up disproportionately know better than people who make Christianity a large part of their life and actively read and study the bible and its meaning?

Yeah, not buying it.
    Atheists are not the only ones who cherry-pick stuff from the bible, christians do that all the time as well. They pick what they want to believe/follow and disregard the rest. You constantly hear Christians condemning homosexuals, but at the same time they have no problem with divorce, they don't care if their wives were not virgins when they were married, they have sex before marriage etc.

Deleted

Yeah, not buying it.
    It doesn't help individual christians pick & choose whilst interpreting it differently. Hell Christianity can't even agree with itself

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Not at all. If you say something I disagree with...I am free to speak on it as well...that is a direct consequence.
    I agree with your statement, but that isn't all that's happening here. Him speaking his mind is directly resulting in monetary loss.

I'll set up a disclaimer first that a) I don't agree with his viewpoint, and b) I don't care what he has to say in general. But we do need to revisit the concept of calling this freedom of speech, because in practice that doesn't actually get carried out.

If his contract had any sort of verbage regarding limiting his ability to voice his opinion on matters aside from Nike itself, then sure, this is a completely different story.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    I agree with your statement, but that isn't all that's happening here. Him speaking his mind is directly resulting in monetary loss.

I'll set up a disclaimer first that a) I don't agree with his viewpoint, and b) I don't care what he has to say in general. But we do need to revisit the concept of calling this freedom of speech, because in practice that doesn't actually get carried out.

If his contract had any sort of verbage regarding limiting his ability to voice his opinion on matters aside from Nike itself, then sure, this is a completely different story.
    Freedom of association is also part of the First Amendment. He's free to say what he wants, and Nike is free to end their association with him because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    I just find it awesome that Pac proved himself a clueless moron.
    He proved that LONG ago, especially when he thought he won the Mayweather fight.

here is an opinion from Pacquiaos fellow Filipino fighter, Nonito Donaire. I won't post the whole thing because it discusses homosexuality, and I've been told that isn't allowed here.
    http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story....AaP8W51Z.dpuf

"If you bind yourself to the Old Testament you are saying Christ died for nothing. We are to use it for learning but not law," he said. —Marisse Panaligan/JST, GMA News

I think it eloquently shuts down the anti-homosexual bible talk. Anyone who has read the story of Jesus is crazy if they believe he wouldn't stand with homosexuals like he did with all manner of societal outcasts.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    Many atheists have read and studied the Bible. Most Christians have not. The vast majority of Christians rely on their preacher for their Biblical knowledge, at least in America.
    Still not buying it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Freedom of speech only protects your right to say stuff without getting penalized by the government.

Deleted
    Still not buying it.
    Will you admit many Christians have different opinions on what true Christianity is?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    It doesn't help individual christians pick & choose whilst interpreting it differently. Hell Christianity can't even agree with itself
    While I agree some Christians cherry pick, I feel most go for the overall positive message.

Atheists focus on the negative.

I suppose I should drop this. I don't read the bible, go to church, or even am remotely religious.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Will you admit many Christians have different opinions on what true Christianity is?
    Sure. That is part of my complaint with Christianity.

"Your going to hell if you don't believe my interpretation out of 38437493"

Like, really guys?

Still not buying it.
    You can not buy it all you want, but when I attended mass with my grandfather they didn't cover the Bible comprehensively, and those results are self-reported. Less than 30% of Christians actually read the Bible cover-to-cover at any point in their lives. I did, and it's one of many reasons I'm no longer Catholic.

Yeah, not buying it.
    http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...than-religious
    http://www.pewforum.org/2010/09/28/u...wledge-survey/

You can "not buy it" all you want to, doesn't change the facts that even the most EVANGELICAL of Christians don't know anything about their bible compared to Atheists.

While I agree some Christians cherry pick, I feel most go for the overall positive message.

I suppose I should drop this. I don't read the bible, go to church, or even am remotely religious.
    The problem is the Biblical message isn't overall a positive one if you read it cover-to-cover, in any language you choose to read it in. It's filled with negative language and imagery, and it begins and ends with tales of divine wrath.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yizu View Post
    his statement was

He said gays are worse than animals, you dont say something like that when you are running for office LOL
    He needs to fact check before speaking publicly though. There are many many reported cases of homosexual encounters of animals in the wild and in captivity. Open mouth, insert foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    Freedom of association is also part of the First Amendment. He's free to say what he wants, and Nike is free to end their association with him because of it.
    Yep.. I'm wrong on this one, removing my first statement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, but by doing so they are ignoring large parts of the bible. Are you really a christian if you only follow 60% of the teachings?

The reason why atheists tend to focus on the negative stuff in the bible is because proponents of the bible seem to always forget them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    He's just a man who's a true Christian and is spreading word of the God.
    Discussion of religion isn't allowed here, and neither are sexuality threads.