Mysterious Text Message

Randomly today i got a text message from someone with no name. The sender just has a 1 as its name. My android can't go online unless i turn on my moblie data so i couldn't see what the sender has send as it requires me to download 32KB from his text. What are the risk that could happen if i decided to turn on my moblie data and download this text message? Any chance of it being a hack, keylogger or something similar? Thanks in advance and does anyone else have this problem in the past as well?

wtf a dowload in a text from some one you don't know?
    Is this even a question? Don't touch it.
    If you must, text back and ask who it is, but I wouldn't recommend that either.

Just ignore it!
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

10+ Year Old Account
    Remember rule #1:

I ain't clicking that shit.

It's malware You can read up on it here and also keep up with other ongoing vulnerabilities.

http://www.tripwire.com/state-of-sec...d-malware-sms/

never click any links sent in message...

mobile phones are just as bad as pcs when it comes to malware

Quote Originally Posted by smackyslap View Post
    It's malware You can read up on it here and also keep up with other ongoing vulnerabilities.

http://www.tripwire.com/state-of-sec...d-malware-sms/
    Thanks for the information, but that's clearly not what the OP is referring to.

The txt message uses social engineering to dupe unsuspecting users into clicking on a link to a downloadable Android application.
    The download is in the text message itself and you cannot send anything other than multimedia formats, especially not an apk. You could likely rename whatever file to .jpg and send it that way, but nothing would happen until the extension was corrected.

If your carrier does not allow you to download MMS through WiFi then it will simply show as a download waiting to be accepted once data is enabled. Best case scenario is someone sent a nude to the wrong number, but 32kb is fairly small so the resolution and quality would be crap. If you're concerned, then simply delete it, block the number and carry on with your life.

The only scenario I could think of is perhaps whoever sent out MMS to random numbers with read reports to collect a list of active numbers to spam or scam.
    Last edited by Peroxidex; 2016-02-19 at 04:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it is important, the sender will follow up on it. If you never hear from that number again, you probably dodged a bullet. Curiosity is something that some scammers bank on, once you accept a dialogue they're half way to selling you on their line of BS.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.