10+ Year Old Account

2016-2017 NFL Thread

Welcome everyone to:

Apepi's MMXVI-MMXVII
    Non-Canadian
    Real Football Thread!

Also known as the 2016-2017 NFL thread.

Thread Rules:

There aren't any specific rules in this thread other than the normal forum rules that apply everywhere. We expect people to follow the spirit of the thread and the forum though mostly by respecting that every one has a favorite team and is entitled to cheer for them. Some banter is fine, insulting and trolling is not.

Let's start off with some things from last year's thread:
    (link to 2015-2016 thread: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...016-NFL-thread)

The thread stayed open for 362 days, in which:

986 different people took a look at the thread (That's 245 more than previous season [741])
    215 different people posted in the thread (That's 26 LESS than previous season [241])

662 total pages (That's 234 more than previous season [428])
    13,238 total posts (That's 4691 more than previous season [8547])
    36.56 posts per day (That's 13.02 more than previous season [23,54])

Top 10 posters of the last thread:

Interesting facts of the 2016-2017 season:

This will be the 97th season of the NFL.

This will be the New Orleans Saints 50th season.

This will be the Houston Texans 15th season.

This will be the Los Angeles Rams 50th season in LA (even if it's their first season there in 20+ years).

This will be the Tennessee Titans 20th season in Tennessee.

This will be Pittsburgh Steelers HC Mike Tomlin's 10th season as a HC.

This will be the first season the Minnesota Vikings play in their new stadium, U.S. Bank Stadium.

This will be the last season the Atlanta Falcons play in their current stadium, the Georgia Dome.

There will be 3 games in London this year. Colts-Jaguars on Oct 2nd, Rams-Giants on Oct 23rd at Twickenham Stadium and Washington-Bengals on Oct 30th.

Christmas day is on a Sunday this year, which means all but 1 game will get moved to the Saturday before it.

New Year's Day is on a Sunday as well, and the NFL will play it's final slate of games of the season that day.

The season will end with the 51st Superbowl, Superbowl LI, in Reliant Stadium in Houston on February 5th, 2017.

Superbowl odds for this season:

Found here: http://linemakers.sportingnews.com/a...hawks-patriots

So, what can we expect in this coming year?

2016-2017 League Calendar:

March

March 7
    First day for teams to contact agents of players who will become unrestricted free agents on March 9. Free agent contracts can’t be signed yet, but informal agreements can be reached.

March 9
    Free agency begins

The 2016 league year begins, and free agency opens. By 3pm CT, teams must make decisions on player options, submit qualifying offers to restricted free agents, submit minimum tenders to exclusive rights free agents, and be under the 2015 salary cap. Trades can be made and free agents can be signed after 3pm CT.

March 20-23
    The NFL owners meetings will be held in Boca Raton, Florida.

This is likely where rules changes are first brought up and discussed.

March ?? Compensatory picks

Late March around the owners meeting is when the Compensatory picks for the Draft get announced.

Announced already see this post for the details: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post39236186

April

April ??: NFL 2016-2017 schedule released

April 22
    Deadline for restricted free agents to sign offer sheets.

April 27
    Deadline for previous club to exercise right of first refusal (ie. match offer sheets) on restricted free agents.

April 28-30
    The NFL draft will be held in Chicago.

May

May 3
    Teams exercising fifth-year options on 2013 first-round picks must do so prior to May 3.

May 6-9: First weekend after the NFL Draft: clubs may elect to hold their one three-day post-draft rookie minicamp from Friday through Sunday or Saturday through Monday.

May 9: Rookie Football Development Program Begins.

May 13-16: Second weekend after the NFL Draft: clubs may elect to hold their one three-day post-draft rookie minicamp from Friday through Sunday or Saturday through Monday.

May 19-21: 2014 Owners Spring meeting, Atlanta, Georgia

This is likely where proposed rules changes are voted on.

June

June 1: Deadline for prior club to send “June 1 Tender” to its unsigned Restricted Free Agents who received a qualifying offer for a Right of First Refusal Only in order for such player to be subject to the CBA’s “June 15 Tender” provision.

June 2: For any player removed from the club’s roster or whose contract is assigned via waivers or trade on or after June 2, any unamortized signing bonus amounts for future years will be included fully in Team Salary at the start of the 2017 League Year.

June 15: Deadline for club to withdraw qualifying offer to Restricted Free Agents and still retain exclusive negotiating rights by substituting “June 15 Tender” of one-year contract at 110 percent of the player’s prior-year Paragraph 5 Salary (with all other terms of his prior-year contract carried forward unchanged).

July

July 15: At 4:00 p.m., New York time, deadline for any club that designated a Franchise Player to sign such player to a multiyear contract or extension. After this date, the player may sign only a one-year contract with his prior club for the 2016 season, and such contract cannot be extended until after the club’s last regular season game.

Mid-July:

Training Camp

Clubs are permitted to open preseason training camp for rookies and first-year players beginning seven days prior to the club’s earliest permissible mandatory reporting date for veteran players. Veteran players (defined as a player with at least one pension-credited season) other than quarterbacks or “injured players” (as defined in CBA Article 21, Section 6) may report to a club’s preseason training camp no earlier than 15 days prior to the club’s first scheduled preseason game or July 15, whichever is later.

Veteran quarterbacks and injured players may be required to report to the club’s preseason training camp no earlier than five days immediately prior to the mandatory reporting date for all other veteran players, provided the club has already opened (or simultaneously opens) its official preseason training camp for all rookies and first-year players.

A three-day acclimation period will apply to players who are on a Club’s roster up to and including the mandatory veteran reporting date. Players who join the roster after that date may practice (including wearing pads) and play immediately after passing a physical.

July 22*: Signing Period ends for unrestricted Free Agents to whom a “May 10 Tender” was made by prior club. After this date and until 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the Tuesday following the 10th weekend of the regular season, prior club has exclusive negotiating rights.

* or the first scheduled day of the first NFL training camp, whichever is later.

July 22: Signing Period ends for Transition Players with outstanding tenders. After this date and until 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the Tuesday following the 10th weekend of the regular season, prior club has exclusive negotiating rights.

August

Pre-season games

Roster cutdowns

September

September 8th, Thursday: Opening day, the Superbowl winner Denver Broncos open the regular season

September 11th, Sunday: Opening week-end, the first full slate of Sunday games of the regular season

Some ongoing discussion from the old thread:

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Vikings locking up one of their safeties, Andrew Sendejo, for 4 years $16M.

Last time they locked up an unnoticed defender on a reasonable deal it was with Everson Griffen, and that turned out VERY nicely for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    Sendejo made some really nice plays this year, glad we are keeping him
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Manning's agent seems intent on forcing the issue and making the Broncos release him.

They made an offer to Brock too.

Some useful links for the Free Agency period:

NFL.com: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ilable-players

Rotoworld: http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nf...fl-free-agents

SB Nation:http://www.sbnation.com/2016/2/23/11...alshon-jeffery

NFL list has several different pages with different sorting methods, Rotoworld is strictly by position, but pretty deep list and SB Nation is just the top 100 according to them, which is fun to have another opinion.

Lastly:

I hope everyone that likes football will join us as we go on the journey to learn who will eventually follow last year's winners the Denver Broncos as the 2016-2017 NFL Superbowl LI winners.

Have at it, ladies and gentlemen!
    Last edited by xskarma; 2016-03-11 at 10:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Posting for signed up goodness.

Also I love stats!

Also also, Im like poster #11... I missed out of top 10 QQ.

Browns at 200 odds? lololol. Cowboys is interesting. Id put the odds more on how likely Romo is to get injuried again. He gets inhured, we tank. He just got a plate put in so hope it helps.

10+ Year Old Account
    2016, football in LA this year, very exciting.

10+ Year Old Account
    The schedule thing is really cool for stupid people like me who can't figure when, say, the draft is.

Not first, what the heck xSkarma.

Broncos D still looking strong for 2016 season!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Posting for signed up goodness.

Also I love stats!

Also also, Im like poster #11... I missed out of top 10 QQ.
    "Yes, top twenty!"

--Elliot Reed

- - - Updated - - -

Evan Mathis is considering retirement. He's also apparently active on Reddit. Also, he played at Alabama, which I had no idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Evan Mathis is considering retirement. He's also apparently active on Reddit. Also, he played at Alabama, which I had no idea.
    Evan Mathis was angling for a good free agent deal last year with a succesful team, it's kind of odd that he'd consider retirement only 1 year later. He's 34 though, so he definitely has the age to call it quits.

10+ Year Old Account
    Evan Mathis was angling for a good free agent deal last year with a succesful team, it's kind of odd that he'd consider retirement only 1 year later. He's 34 though, so he definitely has the age to call it quits.
    He just got a ring too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    He just got a ring too.
    True. I forgot about that. That is a pretty good reason to call it quits I guess. Somehow my mental note that he was now on the Broncos didn;t really connect with the fact the Broncos won the Superbowl.

Him and Vernon Davis got pretty damn lucky.

Vernon Davis got pretty damn lucky.

Considering his post-season stats for 2015 he literally is the definition of being pretty damn lucky.

10+ Year Old Account
    A fixture also being played in Mexico this season.

10+ Year Old Account
    Been pretty boring lately news wise. Really been deflating my balls.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Woz View Post

Considering his post-season stats for 2015 he literally is the definition of being pretty damn lucky.
    He was pretty bad before the trade, pretty bad after it. At least they didn't give up much for him.

When's the latest Peyton needs to say something? The 8th is when the cap numbers become problematic, right?

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lions and Eagles showing interest in Iloka.

Looking forward to another year.

*Patiently awaits MMOC Fantasy football!*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Lions and Eagles showing interest in Iloka.

Looking forward to another year.

*Patiently awaits MMOC Fantasy football!*
    I kinda wanna try it, even though Im patently terrible because Im not as invested in the pro life. Got my team name picked out though!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    When's the latest Peyton needs to say something? The 8th is when the cap numbers become problematic, right?
    9th is when his 2016 salary becomes fully guaranteed (all $19M of it). They need to have a resolution on the 8th (or at the very latest the 9th early in the day, before 3 or 4 pm).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Woz View Post

He'd be the main subject in the 30 for 30 documenting the careers ended by Kam Chancellor.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Needs to be before the 9th I think. I have a feeling hes going to try to go for the double whammy that Elway did, however suffer a career ending hamstring pull. I don't think he can play another year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Broncos and Manning will have to figure things out this week, Manning's salary becomes guaranteed on the 9th so they'll have to sort it out before then.

Dolphins did some predictable stuff, restructured Suh and cut Greg Jennings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhat NFL related, but it looks like Lovie Smith is going back to college football. This makes me a happy camper since it's looking like he will be coaching at Illinois.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...illinois-coach