1. #9521
    Mind if I roll need? xskarma's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Netherlands, EU
    Posts
    27,640
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Washington WR John Ross's unofficial 40 time is 4.22s. wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    Unofficial hand-timed 4.22, still crazy fast though. Too bad 40 times don't mean a whole lot because receiver is significantly more than a straight line sprint. No idea who he is, so he could very well do the actually things good WRs do well too.
    They simulcammed him with Dri Archer who ran a 4.26 a year or 2 ago, and he looked a hair faster. Would not surprise me if he ran a 4.24 at least, equalling Chris Johnson's record.

  2. #9522
    Immortal Vetali's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    7,343
    Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    Unofficial hand-timed 4.22, still crazy fast though. Too bad 40 times don't mean a whole lot because receiver is significantly more than a straight line sprint. No idea who he is, so he could very well do the actually things good WRs do well too.

    I don't really understand why Glennon's name isn't coming up more for teams to go after. Not sure there is much of a difference between him and McCarron or Garoppolo, and is a FA so won't require draft picks. Should be cheaper than the other should be starter FAs too. Then again he did turn down the Bucs offer that would have made him the highest paid back-up.
    Its official now.

    John Ross was crazy at UW, just super injury prone. Probably still a late 1st round pick. Titans have too high of a pick to really go for him there.

    The QBs doing drills at the combine were apparently really really bad this year. So maybe things will heat up for current backup QBs.

  3. #9523
    Mind if I roll need? xskarma's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Netherlands, EU
    Posts
    27,640
    So, John Ross ran a new combine record, 4.22 and this TE class looked freaking amazing. Definitely hope the Patriots consider picking one of them up to pair with Gronk for the next 4 years.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    The QBs doing drills at the combine were apparently really really bad this year. So maybe things will heat up for current backup QBs.
    I've heard nothing but moping and down talking of this QB group. I missed most of the group 2 evalutation after the 40's cause of dinner and errands, but looking back on twitter it's basically all negative. If the teams feel the same way then we might be in for an interesting draft night, cause guys may start sliding and then suddenly teams might want to jump up to grab one of the sliding QB's. I love drama on the first day of the draft.

  4. #9524
    Last year's QB class was supposed to be awful, and really only Prescott and Kessler looked decent out of the ones that played with a ton of them getting drafted. Obviously too early to judge how it will turn out in the long run though. This one is supposed to be awful too, and potentially be worse than the 2013 class. EJ Manuel somehow ended up being drafted in the 1st that year, and I would be surprised if 1-2 don't go in the 1st this year. Teams over draft QBs every year, despite it almost never working out.

    TE, DB and RB are the 3 groups that this draft is supposed to be super deep at. Then QB and o-line being basically terrible. Makes sense when you think about how the college game works.

  5. #9525
    Mind if I roll need? xskarma's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Netherlands, EU
    Posts
    27,640
    Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    Last year's QB class was supposed to be awful, and really only Prescott and Kessler looked decent out of the ones that played with a ton of them getting drafted. Obviously too early to judge how it will turn out in the long run though. This one is supposed to be awful too, and potentially be worse than the 2013 class. EJ Manuel somehow ended up being drafted in the 1st that year, and I would be surprised if 1-2 don't go in the 1st this year. Teams over draft QBs every year, despite it almost never working out.
    I bet you we still get like 3 of them in the first round, seems that's just the way it goes each year. There's such a lack of them in the NFL, and teams will just have to pull the trigger on some of these guys.

    I also heard an interesting note from someone on the internet somewhere that basically came down to "the next year's QB class is always better then the current one" and there's some truth in that. Seems like every year people bitch about the QB's and how they suck, and then they still get drafted high and the success rate is about the same regardless of how people feel about the class.

    This class might turn into the next EJ Manuel/Geno Smith class with few high drafted guys, but I suspect it won't. Watson is a highly successful player, there's a team that will take a chance on him round one. Trubisky the same thing, some team will talk themselves into his measurables and intangibles and draft him high, not unlike Wentz and Bortles.

    And the success rate is going to be pretty random anyway, regardless of if these guys get picked early or not.

    TE, DB and RB are the 3 groups that this draft is supposed to be super deep at. Then QB and o-line being basically terrible. Makes sense when you think about how the college game works.
    Don't forget Edgerusher. Mayock has 8 Edgerushers with a round 1 grade on them, and those are always in high demand.

    It;s pretty crazy, yesterday we had fun with a good RB group, today the WR were decent and we had that 40 yard dash record and then that historical TE class to finish the day off. Pretty great, right? But then it's actually a defensive class, and we haven't even seen the best 5 players in this draft on the field yet!

    I'm going to have a blast watching the Edgerushers tomorrow, salivating on prospects the Patriots might draft and then Monday the DB's where the Patriots will likely pick up at least a safety at some point during the draft and possibly corner too, given that the class is so deep at the position.

    Going to be a fun 2 days.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Apparently the Patriots made some kind of offer to the Saints based on swapping their first rounder to the Saints for Brandin Cooks and Saints picks. Not sure how I feel about that. I mean Cooks would be ridiculous in the Patriots offense, he would take over return duties, but at a first rounder cost and the need to apparently extend him (since rumour is that he wnats a new contract as well when he gets traded).

    Interesting times, that's for sure.

  6. #9526
    The Insane draynay's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    18,901
    Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    Unofficial hand-timed 4.22, still crazy fast though. Too bad 40 times don't mean a whole lot because receiver is significantly more than a straight line sprint. No idea who he is, so he could very well do the actually things good WRs do well too.

    I don't really understand why Glennon's name isn't coming up more for teams to go after. Not sure there is much of a difference between him and McCarron or Garoppolo, and is a FA so won't require draft picks. Should be cheaper than the other should be starter FAs too. Then again he did turn down the Bucs offer that would have made him the highest paid back-up.
    Glennon is probably willing to bet on himself to earn more if given a chance to star rather than take the safe backup money.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I don't like the sound of any Cooks trade.

  7. #9527
    Mind if I roll need? xskarma's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Netherlands, EU
    Posts
    27,640
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I don't like the sound of any Cooks trade.
    I can imagine. It makes some sense though IF (big if) the Saints see his looming 5th year contract option for '18 and don;t want to pay it. That option is going to be 8-9 million and I can somewhat understand if the Saints want to not invest in their WR position that heavily when they have Michael Thomas, who they would rather retain and pay.

    If the Saints have decided to not retain Cooks at 9M next year, it makes sense to trade him right now for what they can get.

    Saints have apparently turned NE's offer down, but kind of have to wonder how much they can really get for Cooks if they say no to a late first rounder. It would blow my mind if a team is willing to give up a higher pick, given that you get Cooks for 1 year cheap, 1 year at 9M and then probably have to pay him top of the market receiver money if you want him for longer. A team would have to be REALLY dead set on getting him.

  8. #9528
    The Insane draynay's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    18,901
    They would rather have Cooks than a late first, so would I.

  9. #9529
    Obnoxious Patriots Fan Darth Belichick's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,460
    Cooks over the 32nd pick? Sure thing. McDaniels can go the way of all WRs again and hope Gronk stays healthy with only 1 TE. And then Adrian Peterson can come on a 1 year prove it deal and win a SB ring.

    A man can dream, right?

  10. #9530
    Stood in the Fire Grapefruitsnz's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    375
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Belichick View Post
    Cooks over the 32nd pick? Sure thing. McDaniels can go the way of all WRs again and hope Gronk stays healthy with only 1 TE. And then Adrian Peterson can come on a 1 year prove it deal and win a SB ring.

    A man can dream, right?
    Not a farfetched notion that AP would take that deal.

  11. #9531
    Mind if I roll need? xskarma's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Netherlands, EU
    Posts
    27,640
    Combine day 3. Like the look of some of these edgerushers. Trey Henderson is creating some buzz as a Patriots prospect.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Bryan Cox from Florida also getting some love. I know BB used to like players from Florida, not sure if he still does.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Belichick was just in the NFL Network press box, and he was just hilarious. It;s a shame more people don;t get to see that Belichick more. Cracking jokes about the Colts, and how McGinnest made important stops against them, and then making a self deprecating joke about how welcome he is since he went for it on 4th and 2 in Indy and how different his reception has been since then.

    I swear it will never happen, but I wish he'd go into media and onto one of those mid-game shows, he'd light it up doing that, no doubt.

  12. #9532
    The Insane draynay's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    18,901
    I just missed his bit, he can be pretty entertaining.

  13. #9533
    Mind if I roll need? xskarma's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Netherlands, EU
    Posts
    27,640
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just missed his bit, he can be pretty entertaining.
    https://twitter.com/NFL/status/838455651504312322 His visit.



    Watching this, it's kind of weird. Half the D-linemen get talked about as linebackers and then with the linebackers you get guys like Jabril Peppers, that are actually looking at being safeties. So much Hybridness everywhere.

  14. #9534
    Obnoxious Patriots Fan Darth Belichick's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,460
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    https://twitter.com/NFL/status/838455651504312322 His visit.



    Watching this, it's kind of weird. Half the D-linemen get talked about as linebackers and then with the linebackers you get guys like Jabril Peppers, that are actually looking at being safeties. So much Hybridness everywhere.
    Ha, that was great with BB.

  15. #9535
    The Insane apepi's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mostly harmless
    Posts
    19,388
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Belichick View Post
    Ha, that was great with BB.
    That is how BB sounds like? Wow. I thought he would sound so differently.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

  16. #9536
    Fluffy Kitten Pendulous's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Treno
    Posts
    19,540
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Combine day 3. Like the look of some of these edgerushers. Trey Henderson is creating some buzz as a Patriots prospect.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Bryan Cox from Florida also getting some love. I know BB used to like players from Florida, not sure if he still does.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Belichick was just in the NFL Network press box, and he was just hilarious. It;s a shame more people don;t get to see that Belichick more. Cracking jokes about the Colts, and how McGinnest made important stops against them, and then making a self deprecating joke about how welcome he is since he went for it on 4th and 2 in Indy and how different his reception has been since then.

    I swear it will never happen, but I wish he'd go into media and onto one of those mid-game shows, he'd light it up doing that, no doubt.
    Last Gators I can think of on the Pats are Brandon Spikes and Aaron Hernandez. Think he might be wary after those.

  17. #9537
    Mind if I roll need? xskarma's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Netherlands, EU
    Posts
    27,640
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Last Gators I can think of on the Pats are Brandon Spikes and Aaron Hernandez. Think he might be wary after those.
    Yeah, I think his love for the program coincided with Urban Meyer being there. Maybe he transferred his love to OSU now he's there. Don't think we have many players from there though. Only special team's ace Nate Ebner comes to mind. BB's love seems to go to Alabama a lot these days. Hightower is from there, our rookie CB is from there, we have a back up TE from there. And we are constantly linked to defensive players there when it comes to interviews and workouts.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Combine day 4, the DB's!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Good lord these DB's man. Physical traits are ridiculous.

  18. #9538
    Moderator Northern Goblin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cumbria, England
    Posts
    16,017
    I've actually managed to miss the entire combine this year, I blame the acquisition of a Nintendo Switch. Anyone hurt or boost their draft stock considerably?

  19. #9539
    Mind if I roll need? xskarma's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Netherlands, EU
    Posts
    27,640
    That's all she wrote, everyone. Thank you for being here with us, join us for next seasons' thread over here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...018-NFL-thread



    CLOSED.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •