Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Do items have a stat budget based on rarity?

In other words, will a set of 640ilvl green gear be ok for challenge modes? Or does a blue/epic piece get more stats at the same ilvl?
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

Nope. That was undone I think with Mists but it could have been Cataclysm. It's fairly easy to pop on Wowhead go to Items and start checking ilvl ranges wherein raid gear becomes next-expansion's green gear.

That said, Blizzard showed in WoD they're willing, and quite adamant, about significantly shrinking the budget on items they want to be disadvantageous compared to raid gear. (Certain dungeon trinkets were underbudget lead to Mythic's scaling simply giving you a high ilvl but terrible trinket, Trinkets in Highmaul and BRF's LFR were way underbudget.)
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Yep, I believe it was Cataclysm when item colors became nothing more than cosmetic. It's kinda silly now, really. At max level:

Grey: Really?
    White: No, I mean, really?
    Green: hit max level today!
    Blue: hit max level in the past 2 weeks
    Epic: The entire rest of the expansion

IMO, item colors should be meaningful again. They shouldn't necessarily have anything to do with item budget so much as the source of the item.

White: normal leveling gear, baseline cheap crafted gear
    Green: upgraded leveling gear, expensive crafted gear, normal dungeons, LFR
    Blue: crafted gear requiring rare or dungeon/normal raid drops/recipes, heroic dungeons, normal mode raids
    Epic: crafted gear requiring very rare or heroic raid drops/recipes, mythic dungeons, heroic raids
    Legendary: crafted gear requiring legendarily rare or mythic raid drops/recipes, mythic raids, prestige PvP gear
    Last edited by Schizoide; 2016-03-18 at 03:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the quick response!

get raid trinkets

So item level tells you all you need to know? Other than itemization, of course.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarklingThrush View Post
    So item level tells you all you need to know? Other than itemization, of course.
    That and set bonuses/trinkets.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    That and set bonuses/trinkets.
    Cool thx. Although the ego in me still likes seeing all blue or purple.

LFR trinkets are always shit, they will be worse than normal mode trinkets even when ahead a tier.

example hfc LFR trinkets are worse than BRF normal trinkets even though LFR trinkets are 675/685 and brf normal loot is 670, LFR trinkets are just under budgeted.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    LFR trinkets are always shit, they will be worse than normal mode trinkets even when ahead a tier.

example hfc LFR trinkets are worse than BRF normal trinkets even though LFR trinkets are 675/685 and brf normal loot is 670, LFR trinkets are just under budgeted.
    What about for challenge modes and proving grounds?

yup LFR still worse, BiS for proving grounds are often overbudgeted trinkets, or trinkets that don't scale down well, example is the blademaster trinket is BiS for i think everyone that can equip it, in PG, challenge modes and timewalking, it's that damn good.

good timewalking trinkets can be ones like DMF mop, where those are int & int proc, str & str proc, agil & agility proc, for their ilvl they were the best thing around.

LFR trinkets are generally just stat sticks like 285 agil 142 mastery 142 versa, scale those down and it's still terrible.

Some trinkets are better than the heroic dungeon ones, crafted alchemy trinket for example has a very strong stat proc and some BRF trinkets has just straight up more stats + a proc. But everything else that isn't a trinket over 630ilvl is scaled down to be the same as far as I know. Just try to get your best stats.

For proving grounds the mobs scale up to match your ilvl. This results in it being very easy if you for example equip a full set of 600 blues or greens together with very strong end game trinkets.
    I bought lots of green pieces with haste and multistrike, and went in with that + mythic wf edict, fully upgraded legendary ring, mythic class trinket and mythic wf gaze and was steamrolling everything as frost on my mage.

Sometimes they do sometimes they don't. Blizzard has gotten very liberal with stat budgets not just depending on quality, but also ilvl.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    IMO, item colors should be meaningful again. They shouldn't necessarily have anything to do with item budget so much as the source of the item.

Blue: crafted gear requiring rare or dungeon/normal raid drops/recipes, heroic dungeons, normal mode raids
    Epic: crafted gear requiring very rare or heroic raid drops/recipes, mythic dungeons, heroic raids
    Legendary: crafted gear requiring legendarily rare or mythic raid drops/recipes, mythic raids, prestige PvP gear
    This won't work. If white would be the normal leveling gear, everyone would wear their old addon gear until they reach new addon's equivalent.
    The main problem with power increase during leveling lies within bloated raid concept. Today, we've got four (!) raid difficulties. Heroic dungeon entry gear is 630, most powerful gear is 751. And we only got two raid tiers. WotLK had four raid tiers and the item level span from heroic dungeons (200) to ICC25hc Lich King (284) was much smaller.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    LFR trinkets are just under budgeted.
    This isn't really relevant in the end. But LFR/Dungeon trinkets are generically generated. They are what you get when a trinket is on par with its itemlevel budget.

Raid trinkets are just way above their budget.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    Yep, I believe it was Cataclysm when item colors became nothing more than cosmetic. It's kinda silly now, really. At max level:

Grey: Really?
    White: No, I mean, really?
    Green: hit max level today!
    Blue: hit max level in the past 2 weeks
    Epic: The entire rest of the expansion

I agree that it's pointless having colors in game still. Getting geared up to full epic was fun during tbc / classic. It's been somewhat meaningless ever since
    Blizz should either go with your idea and make green's meaningfull again. Or just keep 1 color (epic i gues).
    Warrior, getting my face smashed in because I love it

"The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

In other words, will a set of 640ilvl green gear be ok for challenge modes? Or does a blue/epic piece get more stats at the same ilvl?
    Relatively sure that an Epic item, a Blue item and a green item (provided they were all budgeted and made in WoD) should all scale to exactly the same stats when scaled down to the same item level.
    IE, Purple Item with Ilevel 120 has 120 Agility, Blue item with Item level 110 has 110 agility, green item with item level 100 has 100 agility. When scaled down to item level 100, they ALL have 100 agility.

That being said, Greens cant roll with bonus stats, so an item level 100 Green with Stam, Agi, Crit and Haste, will be inferior to a purple item with exacctly the same Stam, Agi, Crit and Haste but with bonus Avoidance.

Same goes with Socckets, since unless they changed it, Gems still arent affected by scaling in Challenge modes. So a purple with a gem slot will always be > a blue or green without.

I think timewalking works a bit differently with the sccaling also, since from what I hear, some pieces from some expantions scale differently then others.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Relatively sure that an Epic item, a Blue item and a green item (provided they were all budgeted and made in WoD) should all scale to exactly the same stats when scaled down to the same item level.
    IE, Purple Item with Ilevel 120 has 120 Agility, Blue item with Item level 110 has 110 agility, green item with item level 100 has 100 agility. When scaled down to item level 100, they ALL have 100 agility.

That being said, Greens cant roll with bonus stats, so an item level 100 Green with Stam, Agi, Crit and Haste, will be inferior to a purple item with exacctly the same Stam, Agi, Crit and Haste but with bonus Avoidance.

Same goes with Socckets, since unless they changed it, Gems still arent affected by scaling in Challenge modes. So a purple with a gem slot will always be > a blue or green without.

I think timewalking works a bit differently with the sccaling also, since from what I hear, some pieces from some expantions scale differently then others.
    Tertiary stats and sockets are disabled in CMs, so that doesn't matter either. In TW you'd be using gear from MoP or earlier for the most part anyway because they have more sockets.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Quote Originally Posted by Tradu View Post
    Tertiary stats and sockets are disabled in CMs, so that doesn't matter either.
    Really? When did they do that? I was positive that sockets at least still worked in the MoP challenge modes.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Really? When did they do that? I was positive that sockets at least still worked in the MoP challenge modes.
    They did in MoP, but seeing as they're random in WoD Blizzard decided to disable them(a good decision regarding gear for once)
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU