Difference between cheaper mobo and more expensive mobo if NOT overclocking?

Buying my 14 year old nephew his first gaming pc for his birthday in 3 weeks! He's won't be overclocking his cpu or gpu, so is there a difference between say a 60-70 dollar mobo and a 140 dollar mobo? Getting him an i5 6500 (not unlocked) and R9 380.

10+ Year Old Account
    Better quality components and longer warranty.

Performance difference? No.

As long as you make sure it has relevant features (USB3.0, SATA 6.0 Gbps, wifi if needed), no, it doesn't matter much.

A mobo like this should do:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/B150M-A/

If you can, get the ddr4-version + ddr4 ram (costs the same as ddr3 anyways).

10+ Year Old Account
    There are certain brands I avoid on principle, but outside of that, a cheap board of a good brand, as long as it has the stuff you need and not overclocking... Doesn't really matter.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

One is more expensive, and probably doesn't have anything you need that isn't on the cheap motherboard.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest juck pick the cheapest board from a brand that you like and that covers all your needs. More expensive mobos have better components but it doesn't make any difference under normal conditions. And the "cheap" ones will most likely outlive your computer changing cycle anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    Buying my 14 year old nephew his first gaming pc for his birthday in 3 weeks! He's won't be overclocking his cpu or gpu, so is there a difference between say a 60-70 dollar mobo and a 140 dollar mobo? Getting him an i5 6500 (not unlocked) and R9 380.
    The difference between say a $100 B150 board and $150 Z170 board might be number of USB 3.0/SATA ports, presence or absence of USB 3.1 ports (Type-C), quality of the onboard components (Intel vs Realtek NIC, audio with/out shielding/headphone amps), and other miscellaneous stuff like dualBIOS on Gigabyte boards, solid Japanese caps, number of fan headers etc. Just make sure it has everything you want.

IIRC, LinusTechTips(youtube) released a video regarding motherboards a week ago, definetely worth the watch.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    Depends on the two motherboards you're comparing. Some have a better audio-chip, others have a nice 'gaming' sticker, some actually have better components and more inputs, but mostly, you'll do just fine with a €50 Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2H or something similar.