10+ Year Old Account

Technological Madness (PS4 issues)

I'm not sure if this is the proper forum to put this in, it's kind of video game related?

I've been having issues with my PS4. Or rather, my TV and Monitor when I try to use my PS4 with them. I think?

So, my roommate and I both have a PS4, and for nearly two years now have been using my TV and Monitor. Until yesterday, when suddenly, both PS4s stopped working on both displays. Same issue, no video, occasionally we get audio. One is a Samsung HD TV, the other is a ASUS monitor I use for fighting games. The TV gives me a "Format not supported" error, and the monitor occasionally lights up but the screen stays dark.

First thing, I tried different HDMI cords, different ports on the TV, checked all the HDMI ports to make sure they were clean. None of that worked. I checked the HD, that looked all good. No video, so I couldn't use safe mode to change resolution. About an hour in my roommate tells me he had the same issue, and that it was working fine on his TV in his room, so I test mine and sure enough, no issues.

In desperation mode, I decide to see what happens if I connect my PS4 to a capture card and then the TV. Initially it didn't work, but once I manually set the resolution to 720p (capture card lets my PC show a video preview), it worked. So, I decided to test the PS4 normally with the new settings aaaand.... nothing. Reconnect the capture card, set resolution to 420p for shits and giggles, and despite being an unsupported format.... it worked. Very distorted obviously, so that wasn't an option. The capture card did work just fine on my monitor, and still does. I was also able to get it to work by connecting my PS4 to an HDMI splitter and then the monitor.

That worked for about 2 hours, then my screen cut out, and went completely dark. I decided to just hook the PS4 up directly to my monitor and.... it's now back to normal and works just fine. I'm afraid to test the TV for fear that the magic will go away.

What the hell is going on =(

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    I'm not sure if this is the proper forum to put this in, it's kind of video game related?

I've been having issues with my PS4. Or rather, my TV and Monitor when I try to use my PS4 with them. I think?

So, my roommate and I both have a PS4, and for nearly two years now have been using my TV and Monitor. Until yesterday, when suddenly, both PS4s stopped working on both displays. Same issue, no video, occasionally we get audio. One is a Samsung HD TV, the other is a ASUS monitor I use for fighting games. The TV gives me a "Format not supported" error, and the monitor occasionally lights up but the screen stays dark.

First thing, I tried different HDMI cords, different ports on the TV, checked all the HDMI ports to make sure they were clean. None of that worked. I checked the HD, that looked all good. No video, so I couldn't use safe mode to change resolution. About an hour in my roommate tells me he had the same issue, and that it was working fine on his TV in his room, so I test mine and sure enough, no issues.

In desperation mode, I decide to see what happens if I connect my PS4 to a capture card and then the TV. Initially it didn't work, but once I manually set the resolution to 720p (capture card lets my PC show a video preview), it worked. So, I decided to test the PS4 normally with the new settings aaaand.... nothing. Reconnect the capture card, set resolution to 420p for shits and giggles, and despite being an unsupported format.... it worked. Very distorted obviously, so that wasn't an option. The capture card did work just fine on my monitor, and still does. I was also able to get it to work by connecting my PS4 to an HDMI splitter and then the monitor.

That worked for about 2 hours, then my screen cut out, and went completely dark. I decided to just hook the PS4 up directly to my monitor and.... it's now back to normal and works just fine. I'm afraid to test the TV for fear that the magic will go away.

What the hell is going on =(
    long story short. HDMI ports suck balls.

to iterate. they are not great if you are going to be unplugging/plugging stuff into them constantly.
    Last edited by KOMO1211; 2016-03-26 at 06:47 AM.