Why is Armored Core not more popular?

This game in particular I thought was so good.

You build and customize a mech to fight other mechs. There was a decent skill cap and strategy to it because you had a limited amount of power so you couldn't just throw all insane guns and shit on it, you had to come up with a really good... I guess comp would be an accurate word to build your mech. Well I won't take the best boosters because I would rather take this rocket launcher.

It has a ton of visual customization. Seems like something that would make a company a fortune on a cash shop.

Why isn't this huge? Am I alone in liking this game?

Master of Arena, IMO, is still the best one to date.

I played the hell out of that game...and still go back to it from time to time.

But once the PS2 era started....Armored Core 2 was decent but wasn't quite as good as Master of Arena..and it was downhill from there on.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Real talk, I've only tried it a bit but have a friend that's pretty into the series. Seems that a lot of the gameplay, and more specifically the mech customization is too "complicated" for the "broader appeal" audience, and it never managed to hit that sweet spot of "niche popular" like Dark Souls did.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    [video=youtube;_GLIDbd9KpM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GLIDbd9KpM[/v ideo]

Real talk, I've only tried it a bit but have a friend that's pretty into the series. Seems that a lot of the gameplay, and more specifically the mech customization is too "complicated" for the "broader appeal" audience, and it never managed to hit that sweet spot of "niche popular" like Dark Souls did.
    This pretty much sums it up. I think that they actually have what could be an amazing PC game, but have been putting it onto console. Armored Core with a proper keyboard/mouse or even dual flight sticks/full flight stick + pedal setup would appeal ridiculously to the simulator lovers. At bare minimum, it could be like Strike Suit Infinity/Zero.

They've got a lot of great ideas and I love the style of the series, but there's just way too much going on for a more casual/console gaming crowd.

Same reason we dont have a chromehounds 2 despite it being pretty much loved by all that played it. Mech games arnt in, and are pretty niche.

Pretty sure the PS1/PS2 AC games where pretty decently popular selling 500k+ each.

The ones on PS3/360 just suck ass, because the more talented developers at From Software have been working on the souls series.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Same reason we dont have a chromehounds 2 despite it being pretty much loved by all that played it. Mech games arnt in, and are pretty niche.
    Chromehounds <3

The current mech games like Armored Core are way to complex or just to difficult.

I've tried to play a mech game on my PC and you can choice between 0 and 100% thrust......so 1 would be 10% thrust and 2 would be 20%.

You have 1 on the xbox 360 and that game is just throws you in the middle of the game and assumes you understand how to change your mech. Resulting that when you hit a wall during a certain stage you really have no idea what the solution is. Also personally I don't want to check youtube videos to figure out how the basics of a game works, if you need to do that then it;s a failure in design.

The armored core games I've tried on a PSX emulator where actually good and playable. It was easy to understand and to change your parts and the difficulty curve was good enough that the more difficult opponents didn't show up at the 3e stage.

AC: For Answer is one of my favorite games ever. I guess some people just don't like nerding out over tinkering with your mech. V they tried to force the multiplayer too hard and I just wasn't in to it. Hopefully 6 happens and they go back to single-player storyline being the core game.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

I didn't even realize Armored Core was still around. I loved the first one that came out on PS1.

I loved the series but there was a lot of sameness in the mission design after about the 3rd game. The first three not varying much either. So it got kinda boring fast.

10+ Year Old Account
    Agree series was great. After the 3rd game was just same repeat missions over and over again.

The customization of the AC's was incredible though. One of my fav games all time.