Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Doesn't the UK have a commitment to Minority languages?

One particular parcel of that Charter, which the UK signed is promoting these minority languages, of which Scots-Gaelic is one.
    this is a charter promoting languages, not promoting illegal immigration

would you have us open our doors to anyone with a duolingo subscription?

don't be so silly

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    I'd rather have immigrants who are law abiding, the only place a person has the right work and live is within their own country.
    Currently the UK endures far more lawless immigrants, whom might not even speak the majority English language, let alone smaller ones like Scots-Gaelic, Welsh or Cornish or Manx Gaelic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Reglitch View Post
    A first language speaker being allowed to stay would be promoting the language? Or are you not reading?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Currently the UK endures far more lawless immigrants, whom might not even speak the majority English language, let alone smaller ones like Scots-Gaelic, Welsh or Cornish or Manx Gaelic.
    And yet those immigrants are there legally and I would have no issue with the government deporting them if they committed crimes.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    oh no not Australia, poor kid.... ...

Deleted
    A first language speaker being allowed to stay would be promoting the language? Or are you not reading?
    forcibly teaching it in schools would also promote the language, but it's obvious the bill is intended to encourage more organic means of preservation rather than bending laws such as making exceptions for illegal immigrants

7+ Year Old Account
    And yet those immigrants are there legally and I would have no issue with the government deporting them if they committed crimes.
    If learning a minority native language and raising a child with it isn't enough showing of commitment to the country than honestly the country doesn't really deserve to exist.
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Deleted
    If learning a minority native language and raising a child with it isn't enough showing of commitment to the country than honestly the country doesn't really deserve to exist.
    citizenship isn't solely about committing to a country, we are having troubled times and it's about what you can offer to our country

7+ Year Old Account
    forcibly teaching it in schools would also promote the language, but it's obvious the bill is intended to encourage more organic means of preservation rather than bending laws such as making exceptions for illegal immigrants
    Lol, well the kid has organically learned it, As his first language.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    How is that showing commitment?

You know what's showing commitment to a country? Entering it legally, going through the hoops of becoming a legal resident, paying taxes and being productive. Language means jack shit. Should any illegal mexican be allowed to stay in the US if they teach one of their kids a Native American language?
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

7+ Year Old Account

would you have us open our doors to anyone with a duolingo subscription?

don't be so silly
    Speaking Scots-Gaelic (Which isn't on DuoLingo) or Welsh (Which is in beta) with native level fluency aught count for something, that is a serious commitment. Especially since these are minority languages often written off as Dead already. Learning a language to native level fluency, especially ones with little incentive to do so is a sign of dedication.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems like it would set a very unhelpful precedent, good on the media for making it seem like it's all about some little boy though, bonus sympathy points.

Little blonde haired boy? They aren't going to deport him, unless his dad's a criminal or something.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    it's a shortcoming to have immigrants who don't contribute more than they take from the country to leave? britain has a duty primarily to her citizens and not keeping illegal immigrants who do not contribute more than they take is absolutely a moral decision to make
    Where are you getting this information that they take more than they contribute?

7+ Year Old Account
    How is that showing commitment?

You know what's showing commitment to a country? Entering it legally, going through the hoops of becoming a legal resident, paying taxes and being productive. Language means jack shit. Should any illegal mexican be allowed to stay in the US if they teach one of their kids a Native American language?
    Well when they entered it was very legal I do believe, and yes, if a Mexican takes the time to learn Navajo and then raise their kids with that language I would say that should stay. That is a large investment, and a dedicated effort.

Deleted
    Speaking Scots-Gaelic (Which isn't on DuoLingo) or Welsh (Which is in beta) with native level fluency aught count for something, that is a serious commitment. Especially since these are minority languages often written off as Dead already. Learning a language to native level fluency, especially ones with little incentive to do so is a sign of dedication.
    I agree that learning a language is definitely valuable and as someone who lives in a culture where they are dying rapidly I recognise that, this does not give you a free pass to citizenship however :^)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Where are you getting this information that they take more than they contribute?
    If they haven't been approved then they are earning under the threshold, meaning the cost of having them in britain is greater than the benefit

7+ Year Old Account
    I agree that learning a language is definitely valuable and as someone who lives in a culture where they are dying rapidly I recognise that, this does not give you a free pass to citizenship however :^)
    If your government pretends to be committed to their existence and growth, it absolutely should.

10+ Year Old Account
    They're willing to culturally assimilate though completely disregard the British legal system. They're there illegally, that is the only justification required.
    They were there on a visa which expired. It's unclear why their application for continued residence was rejected.

Law is not morality, and law is not always right. Citing law as your one and only justification is not sufficient when other costs have been demonstrated.

Deleted
    If your government pretends to be committed to their existence and growth, it absolutely should.
    Well once you write a paper that demonstrates that the benefit of having one native dying language speaker economically outweighing the cost of having them and their parents in the country earning little to nothing I'm sure I'll agree!

10+ Year Old Account
    If they haven't been approved then they are earning under the threshold, meaning the cost of having them in britain is greater than the benefit
    “It’s a nonsense that the big stick of the UK Government is forcing these people out on a technicality. They have never taken a penny off of the state. They are here to make a living and Lachlan’s enjoying the benefit of Gaelic education We want young families to settle here, participate in the culture and become part of life here, but the UK Government is saying ‘no’ – it’s barking mad.”

"Gregg had been working full-time and Kathryn had been offered a job, but they have been told they are not allowed to work here."

Theo, come on. You know the current poster child of immigration has to be middle eastern. Why else would it matter that these specific immigrants are there illegaly but the smuggling boats get dragged the rest of the way?