Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrok View Post
    The First Amendment was never a restriction on the States; it was designed to be a restriction on the Federal Government.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."
    "Last year, Slatery issued an opinion suggesting the measure would violate separation of church and state provisions in the federal and state constitutions."

Looks like the state constitution could have issues with this.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Considering that a "State Book" has about as much power over people's lives as a "state flower" or a "state bird" I fail to see the controversy here.
    A state endorsing a religious text is NBD? I guess if Tennessee was in the Middle East or West Texas.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    A ranking member of the MMOC OT conservative braintrust has arrived. So, there's no issue with a state endorsing a religious text in your eyes?
    No, why would it? They are not forcing anybody to read the bible. They just say it's the state book. Do you really know the official song, drink, bird, w/e of your state? I don't for mine. I doubt the average person cares.

If this state book think gets reversed either way it isn't something to get too worked up about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Something something separation of church and state

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Considering that a "State Book" has about as much power over people's lives as a "state flower" or a "state bird" I fail to see the controversy here.
    Baby steps. We already have too many people trying to place the 10 Commandments on court house steps. Give these people an inch and we won't ever get it back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    No, why would it? They are not forcing anybody to read the bible. They just say it's the state book. Do you really know the official song, drink, bird, w/e of your state? I don't for mine. I doubt the average person cares.

If this state book think gets reversed either way it isn't something to get too worked up about.
    Its an endorsement/establishment of religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    Baby steps. We already have too many people trying to place the 10 Commandments on court house steps. Give these people an inch and we won't ever get it back.
    Seen it with the left so many times cant take the chance with the right /nod
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

The First Amendment was never a restriction on the States; it was designed to be a restriction on the Federal Government.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."
    Yet it has been used before to remove the 10 Commandments and other religious items from state buildings yes? This will not last long, the Freedom from Religion Foundation in that state will see to that. It will just end up to being a waste of tax dollars and time because they had to pander.
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Those damn liberal colleges! Can you believe they brainwash people into thinking murder is wrong! And don't get me started with all that critical thinking bullshit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'm being trickled on from above. Wait that's not money.

I await the mental breakdowns of both "muh constitution" and "muh bible" groups. Should be glorious.

should last about as long as any other wildly unconstitutional move at the state level.

Ugh, this is so lame. I've never even heard of a state having an official book - is there any precedent for this?

That said, I do think this is several steps removed from "state endorsement of a religion," as IMO it seems like more of a recognition of the book's roll in the state's history, but it still irks me and does smack of pandering as others have said. Christianity in the U.S. needs the help of politicians of the "christian right" like a fish needs help from a bicycle repairman.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    I await the mental breakdowns of both "muh constitution" and "muh bible" groups. Should be glorious.
    The only thing in the constitution that matters is the right to bear arms afaik.

A state endorsing a religious text is NBD? I guess if Tennessee was in the Middle East or West Texas.
    It's a book. A book is a book. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is practically a religious text to some people I've met. The book itself is made religious or not by the individual conscience of the reader. It's not a religious text to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malachi256 View Post
    Ugh, this is so lame. I've never even heard of a state having an official book - is there any precedent for this?

That said, I do think this is several steps removed from "state endorsement of a religion," as IMO it seems like more of a recognition of the book's roll in the state's history, but it still irks me and does smack of pandering as others have said. Christianity in the U.S. needs the help of politicians of the "christian right" like a fish needs help from a bicycle repairman.
    they can establish things like birds, flowers, etc. Books in general may be fine, however it can be seen as an endorsement of religion.

Hmmmmmm if there was only some kind of document, a constitution if you will, that superceded state authority.......
    Hmm... if there was only a document that stated the following:

Woopsie... there is! Now, if you will, please notice the part that is in bold as it carefully states that the First Amendment is a restriction upon the Government of the United States; hence, the entire premise behind the Constitution/Bill of Rights when the States DELEGATED and RESTRICTED certain RIGHTS to the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT. In fact, several states had official religions long after the passage of the Constitution.

P.S. The Constitution only supersedes the power of the States on DELEGATED POWERS.
    Last edited by In Ogres We Trust; 2016-04-05 at 08:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malachi256 View Post
    "In 2003 Massachusetts named "Make Way for Ducklings" the state's official children’s book. Minnesota lawmakers once considered making Laura Ingalls Wilder’s "Little House on the Prairie" their state book."

The Bible in now on a par with "Make Way for Ducklings", well done Tennessee.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    Ever get what back? When you show me an example where the selection of a "state flower" has lead to the oppression of that state's horticulturalists then I'll consider it a valid slippery slope.

10+ Year Old Account
    And that went away with the 14th amendment and the incorporation of the Bill of Rights.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmmm. Establishment of religion.

TN is also getting a paddling. READY THE PADDLES.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm... if there was only a document that stated the following:

Woopsie... there is! Now, if you will, please notice the part that is in bold as it carefully states that the First Amendment is a restriction upon the Government of the United States; hence, the entire premise behind the Constitution/Bill of Rights when the States DELEGATED and RESTRICTED certain RIGHTS to the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT. In fact, several states had official religions long after the passage of the Constitution.
    Do not ignore 200 years of amendments and rulings. Due to the 14th amendment most of the first 10 amendments have incorporated the states.