Quote Originally Posted by Jazalak View Post
    Pretty much. Retail is trash and want us all on their shit game. Lol F*k that.
    They might want but doesn't mean you have to. Also was there any server actually as big as Nost? :O

The freeloaders from Nostralius are now pouring onto MMO Champion.

Sad.
    A crossfitter, a vegan, an atheist, and a vanilla WoW player all walked into a bar. I know because they all told me within 3 minutes.

World of Warcraft: Dying on MMO Champion since 2004

Pre-Alpha WoW tester since 2002.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR20QH5UHoM

This is why it got closed down..

Mike and Activi$ion got pissed off about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    Fucking completely unverifiable horse shit.
    not according to the open letter from the nost dev team
    https://www.change.org/p/michael-mor...iter=522873458

Quote Originally Posted by Gryzvwald View Post
    LOL illegal? LOL, all of the code for the "server" was/is reverse engineered. There is ZERO intellectual property stored on private servers. All the IP is located on client machines. The reason this works is private server teams can't afford to actually fight these "potential" law suits. The fact that most of you don't understand what is legal and not legal about reverse engineering is testament to society in general.
    The fact that you believe what you just said is quite possibly the best part about this story. I now know that there are people who think something this dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    So? You can just ignore the thread then.
    The same could be said for nostalgia people shitting on retail WoW, but I'm not suggesting it as a solution for them.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    the thing is, Nostalrius offers what Blizzard doesn't

it doesn't outright compete with them

people who play there are sick of the current WoW and wouldn't play it anyway

it's just sad they feel the need to punish a purely non-profit project for providing thousands of players the joy they can no longer find in Blizzard's version of World of Warcraft

well within their rights of course though
    When did you start to consider "non-profit" a good thing?
    Anyway, this happens all the time with any business. Even though they threw it out, doesn't mean that you can rummage through their garbage and start offering it without their consent.
    Mother pus bucket!

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure it was closing down anyway lads

Quote Originally Posted by Televators View Post
    ITT: People who steal music, movies, games, programming and tons of other media talking to others about theft.
    And then distribute it as their own content.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's very important that players clearly compensate Blizzard for an the time and effort they're paying into supplying their paying subscribers with regulars and engaging content.

Without a base to support active ongoing development the game might just languish for months or years at a time without anything new added. I don't think any of us want to see that eventuate.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    If I host some ancient game that no longer exists on some server for friends and other people interested in playing it, does that make it stealing?

Especially when I provide everything strictly for free.

I'm not saying it's not technically a violation of a copyright law. I'm questioning the morality of the law itself. It serves only to protect the interests of corporations and screws over people.

Certainly interesting to see all the usual liberals here congratulating a big company for screwing over a bunch of people who only wanted to enjoy a (version of a) game that does not even exist anymore. Disgusting, self-absorbed hypocrits.
    Breaking the law is breaking the law, end of story. Stop crying about it. More of this needs to happen, in my opinion.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowroxxor View Post
    I was gonna come back for Legion. That's not gonna happen.

Also to all the people who say it wasn't as fun as people say, it's the nostalgia talking etc.: I never played Vanilla. And I haven't had as much fun on retail as I have on Nostalrius now since early Cata. What makes you think you know what other people like?
    You'll be there for Legion, you can lie to yourself, but I think everyone else knows better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Dick move blizzard. I didn't play on that server, but still. There's content on these private servers you don't offer anymore. Pretty spiteful to attack them when they don't make any money off of your old and unused content.

10+ Year Old Account
    While a sad day for the Nostralius community (I'm not part of it, but I can empathize) it is the right thing to do for Blizzard.
    Warcraft is an IP, created by them and unlicensed use should be prosecuted.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    The exact figures are abt. 150,000 regular players and abt 800,000 accounts created.

This goes to show how wrong were the Blizzard fanbois here who claimed WoW Vanilla was not and could never be massively popular.

Our daily peak was abt 13,500 players online max.
    Their open letter says it... so it must be true.

Cuz why would someone who has stolen intellectual property and being sued by the company that owns it have a reason to lie?

Quote Originally Posted by taliey View Post
    The same could be said for nostalgia people shitting on retail WoW, but I'm not suggesting it as a solution for them.
    Nost was better than WoD, this is coming from someone who hates both of them equally. Just because you don't like a topic that I am sure the mods will eventually start censoring doesn't mean it needs to be removed. This isn't Anita Sarkessian's Youtube Channel, its a public forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    Their open letter says it... so it must be true.
    It is true. It doesn't mean shit though because thats literally nothing in comparision to Final "12s GCD" Fantasy, or even fucking WoD. Hell Age of Wushu in China still has almost 2 Million people playing. That is a pathetic number and it shows, if anything that Blizzard is sadly correct, there is no appeal for a Vanilla Server.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoopuf View Post
    It was closer to 150k active players
    Define "active players" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    If it's taking business away from them? Why not make vanilla servers? I mean, they aren't getting that 150k anyway.
    Because having "legacy" servers would look really bad on Blizzard's part. They'd basically be admitting "yeah, current WoW is crap so we're opening realms with old expansions".

Not to mention it'd be confusing to new players with all these different versions of the game available.

Only once WoW dies out and drops under 1mil subs and they stop making new expansions, will they ever possibly make "legacy" realms.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    Different product being provided.

That's like an apple stand complaining about the lettuce stand that it's stealing their business away.
    More like an apple stand complaining about someone stealing some of their apples and selling them at another stand.

Vanilla WoW still belongs to Blizzard, even if it's not in service anymore.

Blizzard is totally within their right to do so, they should honestly be thankful they let them do it for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoreyai View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR20QH5UHoM

This is why it got closed down..

Mike and Activi$ion got pissed off about that.
    hahahahahahaha

makes it even funnier knowing people in this very thread could be playing that pile of horse shit known as WoD right now

Oh god I'm dying of laughter

I can't believe some people legit thought Nostalrius wouldn't end up being shut down by Blizzard. We already went through this before in TBC/WOTLK with that WoWScape server fiasco that ended with the owner being sued for 88 million. If a private server gets too big and too loud - it will be dealt with, it doesn't matter if you make petitions, donations or riot on social media. I loved Vanilla and want classic servers as much as you, but if the company that made it all doesn't want it to happen - it won't, it just ends up being a waste of your own time in the end... When I listed "Blizzard can shut it down at any point so why waste my time" as my top reason for not playing Nostalrius for longer than a few hours, people called me an idiot for even thinking they can do it... well guess who ended up being right?