Quote Originally Posted by ElDoorO View Post
    You're confused. If you buy software at a store -- whatever is on that cd is *YOURS*. That's the long *and* short of it. The license to access their servers is a sererate entity. I think this is where you're confused.

No one is "redistributing" anything -- so long as the host and client own a legal copy (like from, say, WalMart) -- then you are free and clear.

You are aware that you can buy World of Warcraft at stores still, yes?
    Everyone look at this post. This post is proof that the education system doesn't work. This guy thinks that if you buy software or music or videos or any other multimedia product that you MAGICALLY own it. This is in fact incorrect. You have only purchased the right to use the media in a way that is stipulated in the ToS. In the ToS, it does not allow for a company to steal the code and set up an illegal alternative to the owner of the media (which is not the person who purchased it). Feel sorry for this person. It isn't his fault. The system let him down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Way to miss the point.

Why dont you take a moral highground then? Specifically choosing stupid comments and using it as a basis for all things Nostralius is rather unfair, furthermore not acknowledging the anger many people are probably feeling right now is argumentatively unjust.

But back to my point, why would you ever want to damage WoW by driving people away?
    I don't consider it damaging to the game if people stuck with the mentality of 11 years ago choose to not play. I want people passionate about the REAL WoW, and I want them to be able to offer better feedback than "WoW sucks now Vanilla was challenging for real and had so much more content!!".

Quality over quantity. I grieve for the genuine fans and WoD driving away people because Blizzard dropped the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    jezus this is just precious - something being illegal by law is literaly definition of it being wrong -_-
    I am a cyborg. Illegal equals wrong. I must not think. Wurr.

If someone can convince me as to why Blizzard shutting down Nostalrius was a good thing other than "because it's illegal" or "copyright infringement" then I'm all ears.

Most likely one of those agree to disagree situations. After all, perhaps I'm just trying to be an edgy teenager and have the IQ of a fish. Could be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Yep, it's quite crazy how the expansion with such love put into it and so much actual content can be called shit. But would explain how these people (usually the same ones on Nos) can consider 11 year old "content" to offer the height of sophistication and challenge as far as gameplay value goes.
    I know right, i mean theme wise, i guess it's their own opinion, but when people say it was terrible and had 0 content, that just blows my mind lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Musclestalk View Post
    kill yourself you fucking f4ggot

PS: yes I know you're a mod

you blizzard c0cksucking piece of sh1t
    Such an edgy comment.

Quote Originally Posted by guisadop View Post
    Copyright laws are terrible and only favor the powerful. I grief for Nostralius
    They protect start-ups just as much.
    Copyrights and IPs are a necessity for the market.

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    WoD wasn't the height of their history, I still chose it over vanilla servers.

Who the fuck claims that retail has "no content" and then settles for Classic? It's mind-boggling...
    Vanilla wow had 7 raids how many did WoD have?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadeus View Post
    Snip

Infracted [MoanaLisa]
    Probably one of the most disgusting thing I have ever read on these forums. You should be ashamed.

With regard to the topic, people stating that why Blizzard sent a C&D notice out, one has to remember of the financial investment that Blizzard made to produce Vanilla WoW. Whether they have made that money back several times over is irrelevant, it is THEIR product and on one else's.

The only way I could see a slight possibility of Legacy WoW servers would be to licence the product out, BUT the cost involved would make no one interested and I also think Blizzard would not do so as if there was an issue with such a legacy server, it would reflect badly on Blizzard whether it was their responsibility or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Pwellzor View Post
    Read. Same Grind to 60. Same raids from 11 years ago.
    1-60 in vanilla is different, it's an adventure.
    You enjoy the journey

Quote Originally Posted by Morgaith View Post
    i know this is apples and oranges, but why not check what runescape did and how well that worked out for the game in general?
    I know what runescape did. And if blizzard thought it would be a good idea, they would do it.

But they didn't.

It doesn't matter because it is ultimately blizzard's call.

The use of numbers instead of letters really kept this PG.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by Belime View Post
    "im above you because i pay for the game"
    There's a lot more than that. People break the law, promote illegal things, and are generally toxic to anyone that disagrees with them. They are already not part of the current legal WoW community. Thus, they only hinder it with illegal action and toxic behavior. They are better off not being a part of the community at all, as they are only a problem.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

1-60 in vanilla is different, it's an adventure.
    You enjoy the journey
    Yeah, grinding those plant dudes in Thistleshrub Valley because it's faster than questing at those levels is an adventure.

A journey.
    A crossfitter, a vegan, an atheist, and a vanilla WoW player all walked into a bar. I know because they all told me within 3 minutes.

World of Warcraft: Dying on MMO Champion since 2004

Pre-Alpha WoW tester since 2002.

quality account quality post right here

No. Can you stop being afraid to talk about something because you don't like it?
    What. I'm not afraid to discuss anything. I couldn't give a darn about the private server either way, but there's no denial in the fact that Blizzard is well within their rights to do so. If you have a problem with the law, take it up with those who make it.

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    You don't need any other reason than copyright infringement. Blizzard owns WoW. It is their property. The people who make these private servers are stealing, plain and simple.
    no to answer his question? .......................................................................................... ................ no

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    No they are not, especially when they are making money off of this. And I will seriously laugh at you if you say these people running these private servers aren't making money off of others intellectual properties and rights.
    Exactly, they are making money while using another companies software. Running servers that can handle tens of thousands of connections a day isn't exactly what you call cheap.

There so many areas which they overstepped whats legal and whats not. Yet people think that once you buy software you can do whatever you want with it because "you own it" which is 100% false. You own exactly nothing except the privilege to use the software(Music, Media editing, games, ect), or access to servers.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Except your knowledge on private server players is limited to this thread and whatever certain posters most likely splurge up.

Many, many people have retail accounts, and many more want to enjoy WoW. If you want me to massage your moral highground lets look at it like a cry for help, a playerbase of players that want to enjoy WoW so much they'd rather play an older version of it, than just move onto a different game.

People are angry because they just want to have some fun in a game, that is the point of all this, its not some political debate, were not solving world hunger, they just want to play a fucking game.

If you want them to support WoW, if you want WoW to continue to thrive your attitude needs to change, because currently you're more detrimental than the people you're lording over.
    Don't beat around the bush about it. That and your opinion doesn't even matter if you aren't a paying member of the game. It has nothing to do with fun, it has to do with crime and proper punishment for such crime. They are getting exactly what they deserve.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

No, the money is for subscription fees. Not reselling software, as far as I know.
    Subscription != Content.

Even your own WoW subscription doesn't entitle you to new expansion -- you have to pay for those!
    What the fuck does this have anything to do with Taking blizzards games and then making money off blizzard by hosting their own game that is a 100% complete copy and thus stealing intellectual property and rights? Oh yeah, nothing. Way to make yourself look not intelligent there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdance View Post
    All WoD has is end-game content. The first 109 levels are a pointless exercise in keeping the MMO genre tag. 109 levels of brainless content which doesn't matter to get to "end-game" content which, all it is, is one raid repeated over four difficulties, essentially the same content. How does this sound more fun to you than an engaging 1-60 experience with end game and meaningful, actual, MMO features?
    11+ years of collected content, transmogging, mounts, pet battles, more races and classes, more engaging and challenging mechanics, more NEW content coming on the horizon...

Yeah, it's a mystery how I can prefer this to a stage of the game where 1-60 leveling is meant as BEING the content outside of raids, 1-button rotations and mechanics that are less complex than what I face with alts in 5-mans these days... ^^. I'm sure it's fun to have a cirklejerk of people raving themselves into a collective frenzy over how shit retail is since people love "us vs them!", but I wouldn't call it engaging content and if I want THAT sort of "social interaction", I can get it on retail just fine. I'll stick to the social interaction I prefer though.

I'd love to know what MMO-features WoW doesn't have...because I still do all the things in-game that I did when I started playing (and which kept me hooked)...
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2016-04-07 at 12:34 AM.