To the people that think it is not stealing, I guess they have never worked or created something important in their lives and see others use it without permission. I can understand the frustration of the time invested there, but still it is not a reason to talk shit to people stating the obvious.

There are too many people making money from this. Believe me, if Nost did not make money, they would have abandoned the project. Check reddit for relevant stories.

I have played in Nost as well for some time. I really liked the experience (mostly the community, this is what I miss from wow)! But the game was much worse than now or even WoTLK. We did not realize it back then when vanilla was the live server but it was a worse game. Anyway, it is sad to see the server go away but you cannot blame Blizzard for it.
    Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomchicken View Post
    Considering the private server is mostly filled with people that wouldn't play wow retail anyway that's a really laughable argument.
    Burden of Proof, please

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    If that was remotely true games like Wildstar and RIFT which use/d the same style progression as Vanilla would be bustling to the brim.

As I said earlier in the thread, the only people that played these servers were poor people that wouldn't pay for the retail version regardless.
    And as stated numerous times, those games were NOT the right mix of accessibility v challenge. Did you play them? They were simply confusing.

And your comments earlier in the thread I hold as high in regard as you do mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayaleith View Post
    To the people that think it is not stealing, I guess they have never worked or created something important in their lives and see others use it without permission. I can understand the frustration of the time invested there, but still it is not a reason to talk shit to people stating the obvious.

There are too many people making money from this. Believe me, if Nost did not make money, they would have abandoned the project. Check reddit for relevant stories.

I have played in Nost as well for some time. I really liked the experience (mostly the community, this is what I miss from wow)! But the game was much worse than now or even WoTLK. We did not realize it back then when vanilla was the live server but it was a worse game. Anyway, it is sad to see the server go away but you cannot blame Blizzard for it.
    It's like the people who try to claim people who run non profit orgs and charities don't make money off of what they do. Yeah sure they don't, they just managed to afford that mansion and the 30 cars in their garage from their side job.
    Bleh

Quote Originally Posted by Idoru View Post
    And that's the illegal part...
    How? They wrote the code themselves

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoreyai View Post
    Steal? How is it stealing?

They're not taking money for anything, how is this any different than Fair use?
    They may not be taking money themselves but they are taking away potential subscriptions from Blizzard and the thing is that the game itself is still active and not some long abandoned game, even though that is not a guarantee of being hunted by the original IP's owners..

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Wait, why are people for this? What exactly do you get from this? Because you think a version of WoW sucked it means no one else should enjoy it?
    Why should people get access to a service and a game that normally costs money for nothing?

Why should Blizzard bother defending their intellectual Property?

Anyone who defends this is just silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Radeghost View Post
    The code to access something that isn't theirs to access.
    Bleh

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    it would have cut into Legion profits
    No, it wouldn't. People who wanna play Legion will play Legion. Only a Legion private server would cut into their profits. A Vanilla private server couldn't. Vanilla is something that isn't available officially through Blizzard, the people playing on Nostalrius are playing there because they want that specific experience, that Blizzard isn't willing to give them anymore anyway.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radeghost View Post
    But the bulk of the code they would have used still belongs to Blizzard..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by thilicen View Post
    No, the world works like this:

You can't take a product made by someone else, repackage it, and redistribute it. It's not - fucking - legal. How hard is it? You even said it yourself, it's a legal matter. Discussion should end there as there is nothing more to say.
    They didn't take a product and repackage it.

The legacy vanilla codes, don't exist.

What they DID, is that they took DATA OUT FROM THE GAME; and built a Imitation based on that Data.

At least get yer damn claims straight before you piss yerself with "get a clue bout the real world".

Quote Originally Posted by pjongjongjeng View Post
    No, it wouldn't. People who wanna play Legion will play Legion. Only a Legion private server would cut into their profits. A Vanilla private server couldn't. Vanilla is something that isn't available officially through Blizzard, the people playing on Nostalrius are playing there because they want that specific experience, that Blizzard isn't willing to give them anymore anyway.
    Everyone I know who played on Nost were actually only playing on it because they never played WoW and wanted to see why it was so hype or refused to play it due to the subscription. They lost potential sales with them. Most played for a few days and never went back.
    Bleh

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pjongjongjeng View Post
    Right, because noone will make that choice based on paying vs free subscriptions amirite?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    Assets, Story, Game structure.

Your argument is, if I reprinted the Harry Potter novels on Plastic pages instead of Paper and sold them, that it wouldn't be Theft.
    But you would offer the same Harry Potter. Nostalrius was vanilla.
    You would sell that reprinted Harry Potter. Nostalrius was free and there was no item shop or anything

Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    But the bulk of the code they would have used still belongs to Blizzard..
    If you consider Levels, Models, Textures, Sounds, and such as code. MMORPGs are notorious to having all of their code server side only, none (if not much) would be within your system. There certainly are files that hook INTO the code, and such -- which of course is still all owned by Blizzard. But let's be real here, majority of the code people work on in MMORPGs is never on your machine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenixhart View Post
    Why should people get access to a service and a game that normally costs money for nothing?

Why should Blizzard bother defending their intellectual Property?

Anyone who defends this is just silly.
    It doesn't cost money, cause the service is not even being offered. Or is there a Vanilla retail server, being sold by Blizz?

As for Blizz "defending" their IP, why not just adopt the devs and have them doing it officialy for them instead?

I'd say you are silly for buying the primitive "Mine" idea, above collective thinking.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lythelia View Post
    Honestly, they should've let the server stay open to remind players how terrible vanilla really was. So much was just so broke, not to say the current iteration is perfect but there was so many problems and it was painful.
    I didnt play on that server and didnt know it even existed before now so I dont know what was broken or what worked there but the original Vanilla WoW absolutely wasnt broken and was a far better game than current WoW is. This has nothing to do with nostalgia either. Adding new areas, improving graphics etc. would have been great but they changed the spirit of the game. Current WoW is not a MMORPG, its a multiplayer lobby game that doesnt actually require player interaction with optional world part.

Quote Originally Posted by familiar View Post
    Hm, can someone explain the theft part? Nostalrius aren't using the original Blizzard server code, they coded that themselves. They also don't require modified client, you can download it from every other torrent tracker. Are they stealing my free time, which legally belongs to Blizzard?
    Do you genuinely think that they were able to just magically make a backend server, with, what I imagine to be a large database, and all the necessary protocols to chat to the client/change data in the database etc with no prior knowledge and somehow getting it right almost immediately, with a STABLE/bugish free enviroment?

Just does not sound plausible at all.

So a small group of people did something that a billion dollar company said was impossible and made a working vanilla server.

Quote Originally Posted by thilicen View Post
    Right, because noone will make that choice based on paying vs free subscriptions amirite?
    Emm, legion and vanilla are completely different games though. People on Nostalrius didn't like wow state after TBC or MoP and they wouldn't play on retail.