Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

A fleet of trucks just drove themselves across Europe

They took 'er jobs!

The trucks set off from their bases in three European countries and completed their journeys in Rotterdam in the Netherlands today (Apr. 6). One set of trucks, made by the Volkswagen subsidiary Scania, traveled more than 2,000 km and crossed four borders to get there.

The trucks were taking part in the European Truck Platooning Challenge, organized by the Dutch government as one of the big events for its 2016 presidency of the European Union. While self-driving cars from Google or Ford get most of the credit for capturing the public imagination, commercial uses for autonomous or nearly autonomous vehicles, like tractors from John Deere, have been quietly putting the concept to work in a business setting.

http://qz.com/656104/a-fleet-of-truc...across-europe/

Deleted
    So ur saying these trucks are self-driving?

(its not very clear in your post)

If they are self driving that's pretty amazing, just think of the damage they could do if there's a flaw in their programming? Probably had a human in the driver's seat who could take control.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Currently in the US (I don't have the European stats), Transportation workers account for 6.5% of all jobs, nearly 10 million workers:

Of those 10 million, a little over 4 million are motor vehicle operators, which comes out to 2.7% of the total workforce:

These are jobs that will almost certainly be going away over the next 15 years. I'm curious how we'll plug such a large hole in our job market.

Source: http://www.bls.gov/emp/ep_table_102.htm

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    If they are self driving that's pretty amazing, just think of the damage they could do if there's a flaw in their programming? Probably had a human in the driver's seat who could take control.
    About the same amount of damage a human could do if there's a flaw in their ability or attention or wakefulness.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Currently in the US (I don't have the European stats), Transportation workers account for 6.5% of all jobs, nearly 10 million workers:

Of those 10 million, a little over 4 million are motor vehicle operators, which comes out to 2.7% of the total workforce:

These are jobs that will almost certainly be going away over the next 15 years. I'm curious how we'll plug such a large hole in our job market.

- - - Updated - - -

About the same amount of damage a human could do if there's a flaw in their ability or attention or wakefulness.
    Basic minimum income tied to a single person/family living in New York City comfortably for the entire nation.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

You don't. Jobs lost to automation never come back. Maybe 1% of them get replaced by technical jobs to support the automation.

You either tax the people who own the robots and give the money to the people without jobs (or to create public sector jobs for them) or you let the people without jobs starve. Most people seem to be all for the starving.

I trust computers waaaaaay more than a human driver.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, if one those driver-less trucks/cars cause an accident, who will be held responsible? No one, mark my words...fuck this.

I can see truckers trying to run these things off the road to protect their jobs.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    You don't. Jobs lost to automation never come back. Maybe 1% of them get replaced by technical jobs to support the automation.

You either tax the people who own the robots and give the money to the people without jobs (or to create public sector jobs for them) or you let the people without jobs starve. Most people seem to be all for the starving.
    Most people ? How do you get that feeling ? Especially as a fellow Canadian you can't be serious. We just elected overwhelmingly a man who is completely against the starving and is driving us into much more debt to fight it. I would say that the popular support of Trudeau is indication that we are not for the starving

I'm looking at it from a programmer's perspective, it's amazing they even stay on the road.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I'm looking at it from a programmer's perspective, it's amazing they even stay on the road.
    And from a programmer's perspective human drivers are significantly more unreliable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    So, if one those driver-less trucks/cars cause an accident, who will be held responsible? No one, mark my words...fuck this.
    Either a) the manufacturer since it would be mechanical/program error or b) the owner of the vehicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

bring in more automation, we've evolved beyond work.

more automation, more robots, basic income for everyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm personally a big fan of a shift from "survival of the fittest" to "survival of the smartest". Manual labor being reduced in favor of technical automation I feel is a great direction for humanity. It would put more importance of being intellectual.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    bring in more automation, we've evolved beyond work.

more automation, more robots, basic income for everyone.
    I'm with you on that!
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    And from a programmer's perspective human drivers are significantly more unreliable.
    At least with a program you can go, "Why did the vehicle do this? Oh, there was a glitch/unknown parameter/new specific scenario the program didn't have the language to handle" and remedy the situation. With human drivers, yeah good luck with that. Also computers are 100% less likely to be driving drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Software is fucking reliable. Much more than a dude who could be tired, looking at his radio, etc. There are thousands of things that make our attention go down for moments. Software does not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    At least with a program you can go, "Why did the vehicle do this? Oh, there was a glitch/unknown parameter/new specific scenario the program didn't have the language to handle" and remedy the situation. With human drivers, yeah good luck with that. Also computers are 100% less likely to be driving drunk.
    Additionally, on drugs in order to stay awake through the night to get a delivery there on time. Many accidents from truck drivers comes from them being on "Speed" in order to stay awake.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

I, for one, look forward to the possibility of ordering a self-driving car online that will pick me up and drop me off. Uber without personal costs. No need to have my own car then.

- - - Updated - - -

that is as realistic as back to the future skateboard in 2025. the technology world have changed little in the past 30 years. only small electronics are the big difference in peoples lifes. mobile phones, internet etc. people will still drive trucks in 20 years^^

This reminds me of an episode from Tailspin. Where Shear Khan fires all his pilots in favor of a proven robotic pilot. Unfortunately this lead to unprecedented looting and pirating of all cargo planes. I wonder if the same thing will happen here if that goes into effect.