Page 12 of 43 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    An indie team who makes a first time aRPG with a solid core gameplay, being destroyed by the hypemind who barely understand the game just because the online version cannot be played because of too many players at once (something solid AAA studios can't even do right in 2020), AND YET offer an offline version - something that not even Diablo did.

Yup, that resume the ecosystem well.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Dude... both paladins AND overwatch were "heavily inspired" by TF2.

Paladins and overwatch actually play quite a bit different than each other, just like Wolcen plays quite a bit different than Diablo.

Diablo doesn't have a copyright on "dark"
    This is a moronic take. Overwatch is how you should do a "different take on a genre". It's an FPS with classes, everything else is different. Wolcen is how you should not do a "different take on a genre" - the entire UI is almost identical.

You're lying to yourself if you think the main menu screen wasn't straight up ripped from D3 right down to the shape of the buttons. You're lying to yourself if you don't think they straight up stole the entire animation/font for damage numbers when something is attacked in game. You're lying to yourself if you pretend the inventory art for shit like gems isn't the exact same thing as D3 gems. You're lying to yourself if basic shit like the town portal icon isn't a pixel for pixel copy.

It's hilarious seeing the same people talking about how Wolcen is an "amazing game" that were seething about Diablo Immortal a few months back. Garbage devs wholesale stealing shit from other games is just as bad for the industry as mobile gaming is. But sure, I get it, you get more attention on the internet by saying Blizzard sucks and Wolcen is the best game released this year.

It's definitely not without issues though... there's an EXTREMELY annoying issues with the mouse for me... I can click directly on an item on the ground sometimes and it acts like I want to move to a completely different spot and not pick up the item, I have to spam like 20 times to get it to pick up. It's keeping me from enjoying the game.
    Oh I agree 100%. There are other issues, but the vast majority of them are from the server stuff. The game is fantastic and the dev team said on a stream a list of things they are still working on. I have faith that they are committed to this and will deliver. Sure, the launch could have been better but I'm loving the game so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Nzx View Post
    This is a moronic take. Overwatch is how you should do a "different take on a genre". It's an FPS with classes, everything else is different. Wolcen is how you should not do a "different take on a genre" - the entire UI is almost identical.

You're lying to yourself if you think the main menu screen wasn't straight up ripped from D3 right down to the shape of the buttons. You're lying to yourself if you don't think they straight up stole the entire animation/font for damage numbers when something is attacked in game. You're lying to yourself if you pretend the inventory art for shit like gems isn't the exact same thing as D3 gems. You're lying to yourself if basic shit like the town portal icon isn't a pixel for pixel copy.

It's hilarious seeing the same people talking about how Wolcen is an "amazing game" that were seething about Diablo Immortal a few months back. Garbage devs wholesale stealing shit from other games is just as bad for the industry as mobile gaming is. But sure, I get it, you get more attention on the internet by saying Blizzard sucks and Wolcen is the best game released this year.
    Who gives a shit about art? We're here for gameplay and the game plays a lot different than d3. It's much closer to PoE, with skill leveling like Last Epoch thrown in (though I don't know which of those came first)

I mean.. how many ways can you actually model an inventory screen? All the ARPGs use almost the same style of inventory screen. PoE is an even greater offender of "ripping off art" than Wolcen, they didn't even step away from the orbs for health and mana. But people LOVE PoE.

I don't care what "art" someone "steals", as long as the game play is fun.
    Last edited by Onikaroshi; 2020-02-16 at 03:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    PoE visually reminds me of Old diablo style before D3 and if I wanted to I could try and argue PoE stole from D1 and D2

But I won't because thats fucking silly artstyles will vary. I mean Wind waker uses celshading as does Borderlands did Gearbox steal? Lol no.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Maybe it's just not the game you wanted. All the point you stated are moot to me and i'm just having fun to play. In the end i think that a game is good enough if you're having fun with it, independently from how objectively good or bad it is (to a degree obviously).
    Even the worst games ever made will have fans that say this though.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    PoE visually reminds me of Old diablo style before D3 and if I wanted to I could try and argue PoE stole from D1 and D2

But I won't because thats fucking silly artstyles will vary. I mean Wind waker uses celshading as does Borderlands did Gearbox steal? Lol no.
    Well it would be fair to say that PoE is like D2 because it aims to be a spiritual successor of D2.

This game isn't trying to do anything but the studios contribution to the genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Even the worst games ever made will have fans that say this though.
    And? Not like you can control what people enjoy.

I have about 200 hours in Anthem and enjoyed the majority of it, most people think that game falls under the "worst games ever made".

Works both ways too, I've tried to like Witcher III but i just find it boring.

I have about 200 hours in Anthem and enjoyed the majority of it, most people think that game falls under the "worst games ever made".

So bring actual content to a thread instead of broad platitudes on your personal feelings.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    So bring actual content to a thread instead of broad platitudes on your personal feelings.
    Enjoyment of a game is a personal feeling lol, this entire thread is personal feelings about the game.

That's fair, but personal enjoyment doesn't preclude objective assessments. You're totally allowed to like bad things - that doesn't make them good things, just bad things you enjoy.

I'm glad you're having fun with Anthem. But there's an entire catalog of objective or fairly objective criteria by which that game is very bad. That doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't like it, but similarly you liking it doesn't make those objective problems disappear.

Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    That's fair, but personal enjoyment doesn't preclude objective assessments. You're totally allowed to like bad things - that doesn't make them good things, just bad things you enjoy.

I'm glad you're having fun with Anthem. But there's an entire catalog of objective or fairly objective criteria by which that game is very bad. That doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't like it, but similarly you liking it doesn't make those objective problems disappear.

Same here.
    Here there's a few limited, but annoying, problems for sure. And I hope they get to them quick after the server issue is solved. Mostly the issues I have are related to the mouse stuff, not being able to pick things up right, not always working on right click to sell, etc. The game itself is extremely playable, it just has... annoyances that wear on you.

It's not a bad game in any objective sense.

But I also wouldn't say what is in anthem is objectively bad, it just lacks content in the end game, leveling and the initial gearing is fun, but once you're geared there's nothing to do.

But I also wouldn't say what is in anthem is objectively bad, it just lacks content in the end game, leveling and the initial gearing is fun, but once you're geared there's nothing to do.
    That sounds pretty objective to me :P There not being content isn't tied to preference, it's just a fact.

Same with Wolcen. People may not like the aesthetic, you may find it copies too much from D3 or PoE or whatever - those are mostly subjective arguments, and whether or not those are good or bad or neutral is up to the individual to decide. But there's also issues like server problems, gameplay bugs, performance problems, etc. which are not subjective.

I get that every game has some issue on launch these days, and that people are more willing to judge a game for its long-term potential than they used to be; but that doesn't make those problems not problems. And on a personal note, I think that it's problematic if we let companies get away with charging money for unfinished/unpolished games without making it VERY clear that's the case. Whether or not Wolcen made that clear can be debated.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    That sounds pretty objective to me :P There not being content isn't tied to preference, it's just a fact.

Same with Wolcen. People may not like the aesthetic, you may find it copies too much from D3 or PoE or whatever - those are mostly subjective arguments, and whether or not those are good or bad or neutral is up to the individual to decide. But there's also issues like server problems, gameplay bugs, performance problems, etc. which are not subjective.

I get that every game has some issue on launch these days, and that people are more willing to judge a game for its long-term potential than they used to be; but that doesn't make those problems not problems. And on a personal note, I think that it's problematic if we let companies get away with charging money for unfinished/unpolished games without making it VERY clear that's the case. Whether or not Wolcen made that clear can be debated.
    But, it is finished lol, no game releases without bugs and the ones that wolcen has (after fixing the progression loss bug anyway) are not game breaking, they're just mildly annoying

I can see bitching about the server thing to an extent, but it's a company of like 16 people and it's their first game, they weren't expecting the response. Beta numbers were very low

I can see bitching about the server thing to an extent, but it's a company of like 16 people and it's their first game, they weren't expecting the response. Beta numbers were very low
    Exactly. I can understand people wanting to play with friends, and these server issues are damn bad. However they expectd around 2-3k players and we were 65k at launch. Bad estimate for sure.

My current major concern is how far endgame goes, as in "how much time to do eveything it takes". Too fast and you feel you're done, too long and it feels a drag. But i'vyet to finish the story, so....

Sidenote, my build apparently is good. I'm melting things and i'm currently running deathless. If i manage to do it it would be awesome. Though the game crashed one time and i don't know if it counts as death.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Exactly. I can understand people wanting to play with friends, and these server issues are damn bad. However they expectd around 2-3k players and we were 65k at launch. Bad estimate for sure.

My current major concern is how far endgame goes, as in "how much time to do eveything it takes". Too fast and you feel you're done, too long and it feels a drag. But i'vyet to finish the story, so....

Sidenote, my build apparently is good. I'm melting things and i'm currently running deathless. If i manage to do it it would be awesome. Though the game crashed one time and i don't know if it counts as death.
    End game that we had on beta was decently fun, so hopefully the additional parts will only add to it

Who gives a shit about art? We're here for gameplay and the game plays a lot different than d3. It's much closer to PoE, with skill leveling like Last Epoch thrown in (though I don't know which of those came first)

I mean.. how many ways can you actually model an inventory screen? All the ARPGs use almost the same style of inventory screen. PoE is an even greater offender of "ripping off art" than Wolcen, they didn't even step away from the orbs for health and mana. But people LOVE PoE.

I don't care what "art" someone "steals", as long as the game play is fun.
    Right, so you picked one specific thing out of the list of tens of things they straight up ripped from D3 and decided that was enough to say "nope not the same at all". Just be honest - you know the game is almost entirely plagiarized, but you personally enjoy the game, so you don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Nzx View Post
    Right, so you picked one specific thing out of the list of tens of things they straight up ripped from D3 and decided that was enough to say "nope not the same at all". Just be honest - you know the game is almost entirely plagiarized, but you personally enjoy the game, so you don't care.
    Except it's not? It's an ARPG, it's bound to have things that look like other ARPGs, just like every other ARPG does. Shit, look at Grim Dawn, that might as well be a Diablo 2 clone if you want to call things out.

Using generic ARPG things is not "plagiarizing from diablo", almost EVERY arpg looks similar in many aspects. The load screen for PoE looks like it was torn right from DII.

Are we going to fault every ARPG that has zombies now? Oh that game has zombies, must be a Diablo ripoff.

Oh lord, someone call the thought police, the inventory screens are all stolen! Nope, just standard arpg inventory screens, like other standard arpg tropes.
    Last edited by Onikaroshi; 2020-02-16 at 07:08 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Wolcen is fantastic. I've had a blast playing it.

Of course, very few ARPGs can beat Diablo series (I'm biased because me and Diablo go back to the '90s), Grim Dawn was fun (got over 120h sunk into it) but you actually putting Path of Exile in the same basket with these great games?
    Lol, Path of Exile took the best part of ARPG and monetized it. Every piece of gear that drops in that game looks like shit because the store has the best looking gear you have to pay for.
    Fuck F2P.

15+ Year Old Account
    I was so hyped for this game, and at its core its a great game, but I would like some more QoL improvements and fixing of the most glaring bugs(unhittable mobs for instance). The sad part is that I got to act 3 first night, but since then the servers have been offline. Started Offline and got to mid Act2 and my character got resest. Its quite a mess, hopefully the devs fix all these issues before the game bleeds out. So yeah, even though I like the game, this launch has been a disaster, and I think it actually would have been better if the game had a few more weeks/months in the oven before release.