Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Icoblablubb View Post
    i'm rly struggling to like Wolcen .. i wan't something else besides PoE but the feel of combat is so damn clunky i can't get past that which is sad
    have you tried grim dawn?

10+ Year Old Account
    Had fun playing the game the little bit got to play. Lots of Grim Dawn vibes. Fun little game with seems like a promising future.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Mechagnome
    7+ Year Old Account
    just finished act 1, seems like a decent enough game so far, though it seems to lack the depth and complexity of something like POE while lacking the sleek smooth control of d3. It seems like it'll do fine and i'm looking forward to how good it'll be when they polish it up a bit.

Really appreciated the tuning of the difficulty, never died during any of the act 1 bosses but it always felt like maybe I could, and that was nice. Hope that doesn't change.

Well, finished Act 3 and... without spoiling anything - the big plot twist was pretty obvious, but the actual ending... holy shit.

For those who want to read it - SPOILERS:

In case you don't know, in Act 2 you learn that Heimlock (your "papa") works with the bad guys and he's basically a slave, albeit with a soft spot towards his children and enough free will to resist his mind control if he's being told to harm his children. You confront him a couple of times (he always refuses to kill you and runs away saying that his state cannot be changed). So in Act 3 he once again refuses to kill you, but this time he actually starts to fight his mind-control and supposedly wins.

I'm saying "supposedly", because that's the obvious plot twist is that he was either faking it or the big bad let him think that he won. Regardless, he turns on you and you fight him as the final boss... and here comes the fun part - there's a really cool cutscene where he fights Val and literally chops off her arm (!!!), but the coolest part of the story is that the game ends with a massive cliffhanger, i.e. the bad guy tries to come through a gate while you try to close it, so he splits himself to implant a part of his essence in Val and Heimlock... until you step in and absorb him into yourself. The game ends with the bad guy implying that he's in your head and you lost".

Obviously, the story is meant to be continued, but... I damn hope they have an act that takes part in YOUR HEAD and maybe explores your character's past and whatnot. That would be something really cool for an aRPG.

So yeah, overall I actually really enjoyed Wolcen's story - yes, it's a bit corny at times and the big picture stuff is your standard aRPG stuff, but the focus on "family" was really, really interesting and, frankly, well done. That plus the D1 vibe (see spoiler) and the super creepy second half of ACT 2 made me like the story and heck, I want the devs to do more, because I'm damn well interested where will they take the story after that ending.
    Last edited by Sarethion; 2020-02-15 at 09:11 AM.

To everyone complaining about lag, rubberbanding, skill not firing up. Play offline.It wa pretty clear server were having issues and playing offline i have literalky 0 of those issues. I know its not a solution but at least you can play the game.

BTW, servers are in maintenance now. Everyone is talking about a broken game when its actually broken servers. Not saying the game is perfect. Anyway managed to do the full act 1 wothout dying, now aiming to do act 2 the same way.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    skill not firing up.
    I play offline and still, sometimes the game has some little issues with responsivenes - albeit, very rarely.

Anyway, what build did you go for?

I know that "Blizzard bad" at the moment, but how can anyone seriously be supporting this game? It's almost pixel for pixel a D3 clone, another in a long line of appalling rip-off video games following in the footsteps of crap like Paladins.. It looks more like an HD texture pack for D3 than a full game release, and the bits that aren't ripped from D3 are straight up ripped from Grim Dawn (the in-game UI) or PoE (flask system).

Everyone is talking about a broken game when its actually broken servers.
    Unfortunately, them separating offline and online characters makes broken servers = broken game. I actually wanted to play with friends at some point, not even the main story, i always play those solo. But that separation forced me to go with online character. So i couldn't play on release night, since online flat out didn't work, and now i have to struggle with my single player playthrough, because being tethered to servers sometimes kills instances, kicking you to char selection. And you have to start levels from scratch.

If i could play offline and not feel that all the time was wasted, when i want to play with other people - that would be great and most people would relax on the server issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Tang0 View Post
    Unfortunately, them separating offline and online characters makes broken servers = broken game. I actually wanted to play with friends at some point, not even the main story, i always play those solo. But that separation forced me to go with online character. So i couldn't play on release night, since online flat out didn't work, and now i have to struggle with my single player playthrough, because being tethered to servers sometimes kills instances, kicking you to char selection. And you have to start levels from scratch.

If i could play offline and not feel that all the time was wasted, when i want to play with other people - that would be great and most people would relax on the server issue.
    Considering you can strait up edit offline characters, you can't mix those with online.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Considering you can strait up edit offline characters, you can't mix those with online.
    Exactly. D3 on console is plagued by cheaters since character data are stored locally, and reason why they discarded offline in D3 for PC and PoE aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by Nzx View Post
    I know that "Blizzard bad" at the moment, but how can anyone seriously be supporting this game? It's almost pixel for pixel a D3 clone, another in a long line of appalling rip-off video games following in the footsteps of crap like Paladins.. It looks more like an HD texture pack for D3 than a full game release, and the bits that aren't ripped from D3 are straight up ripped from Grim Dawn (the in-game UI) or PoE (flask system).
    I care about a game being fun, and i like ARPG's and this is a fun ARPG. Yes it is 'heavily inspired' by games that came before it and that is fine. Take what is good and add an interesting twist to it (or dont).
    I'll take a blatant copy of a game I like that is fun to play over an original idea that is dogshit.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Sarethion View Post
    I play offline and still, sometimes the game has some little issues with responsivenes - albeit, very rarely.

Anyway, what build did you go for?
    Annihilation - Plagueburst - golem - big missile - pistol channeled thingy "its high noon". Focusing on toxic damage and ailments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    Literally every product on earth has issues with first releases. Only idiots think otherwise.
    In the digital age that seems to be true... But can you imagine great games like Mario 64, Final Fantasy 7, Chrono Trigger or Street Fighter 2 releasing in the state some games are today... they'd be no way to fix them without stopping production and re-releasing the game in turn would cost the video game industry far more money (including inflation). :P

Mainly I blame that on the more advanced tech and more advanced coding video games use today. An argument could be made that tech on games are moving too fast.
    Last edited by Orby; 2020-02-15 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Yeah, but who cares? It is not a competitive online game, there's no ladder incentives or anything, no free pvp or an open world to being with. Grim dawn works the same way with characters being played both online and offline, and everyone seems to be fine with that. Why even bring cheating to the equation?

Exactly. D3 on console is plagued by cheaters since character data are stored locally, and reason why they discarded offline in D3 for PC and PoE aswell.
    Yeah, but how do those cheaters ruin your game experience in d3? The reason there was never an offline mode for d3 was real, real simple. Well, 2 reasons, in fact. Real money auction house and pirating. Online-only solved both of those spectacularly, for better or worse.

PoE i could only guess, but i'd bet it had something to do with the whole concept of the game when it launched. Trading, much like the RMAH for d3, was a huge huge focus even from the beta. And now they sort of have offline mode with ssf, which, in turn allows you to convert the character and play with friends when you feel like it. Ofc it's a pseudo offline mode, since there's an a threat of cheating ruining the economy, races and stuff, but none of those things are present in wolcen.
    Last edited by Tang0; 2020-02-15 at 11:02 AM.

Yeah, but who cares? It is not a competitive online game, there's no ladder incentives or anything, no free pvp or an open world to being with. Grim dawn works the same way with characters being played both online and offline, and everyone seems to be fine with that. Why even bring cheating to the equation?

Yeah, but how do those cheaters ruin your game experience in d3? The reason there was never an offline mode for d3 was real, real simple. Well, 2 reasons, in fact. Real money auction house and pirating. Online-only solved both of those spectacularly, for better or worse.

PoE i could only guess, but i'd bet it had something to do with the whole concept of the game when it launched. Trading, much like the RMAH for d3, was a huge huge focus even from the beta. And now they sort of have offline mode with ssf, which, in turn allows you to convert the character and play with friends when you feel like it. Ofc it's a pseudo offline mode, since there's an a threat of cheating ruining the economy, races and stuff, but none of those things are present in wolcen.
    Yes, cheaters pretty much ruin the experience for themselves and everyone around them. There are valid reasons for always-online in multiplayer titles. SP, not so much.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Game itself is fun as heck, at least what I've played up to level 25 as primarily a spellcaster has been awesome. Game launch though leaves a lot to be desired.

Lol, gotta love the "yeah, buts". Don't say "yeah" like that if you fundamentally disagree with everything.

The big issue you have is a massive lack of understanding regarding design principles. If you stand with a product which has a very clear intended experience(including trading, possible leaderboards etc) then you do not pollute this with cheaters and ruin the experience for the masses.

Also, everyone isn't fine with cheaters in Grim Dawn. It's been a continuous debate on the boards ever since the game was released on how it limits any future online feature in the game.

If you want to cheat and "not affect anyone" play single player in Wolcen. Every single time this is discussed however, it seems like you guys are out to actually ruin the experience for everybody else from the get go and you're upset you can't.

Personally I am extremely happy that they protect those of us who want a legitimate experience from being ruined by cheaters. And as a design principle, it's the best way to go about it.

Cheating kills trading. Simple as.

To everyone complaining about lag, rubberbanding, skill not firing up. Play offline.It wa pretty clear server were having issues and playing offline i have literalky 0 of those issues. I know its not a solution but at least you can play the game.

BTW, servers are in maintenance now. Everyone is talking about a broken game when its actually broken servers. Not saying the game is perfect. Anyway managed to do the full act 1 wothout dying, now aiming to do act 2 the same way.
    Im playing atm offline mode because I dont see reason to play online when theres no trading and still the game feels not responsible. Im not sure what causing this but sometimes when Im trying to use a skill (for example Juggernaut) nothing is happening and I have to spam the button to fire it off and this can just ruin combat experience. Sometimes Im right clicking items in inventory to sold them and every few items there a problem that I have to move mouse outside the item and again mouseover it to sell it because again nothing is happening.

I like the skill system, pasives, gameplay is fun but definitely it needs more technical polish.

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic12 View Post
    Lol, gotta love the "yeah, buts". Don't say "yeah" like that if you fundamentally disagree with everything.

The big issue you have is a massive lack of understanding regarding design principles. If you stand with a product which has a very clear intended experience(including trading, possible leaderboards etc) then you do not pollute this with cheaters and ruin the experience for the masses.

Also, everyone isn't fine with cheaters in Grim Dawn. It's been a continuous debate on the boards ever since the game was released on how it limits any future online feature in the game.

If you want to cheat and "not affect anyone" play single player in Wolcen. Every single time this is discussed however, it seems like you guys are out to actually ruin the experience for everybody else from the get go and you're upset you can't.

Personally I am extremely happy that they protect those of us who want a legitimate experience from being ruined by cheaters. And as a design principle, it's the best way to go about it.

Cheating kills trading. Simple as.
    Yeah, but you just come off as an angry little man. “You people try to ruin everyone’s fun”. Or my favourite : “you have no idea how game design works, but I, on the other hand, can tell you about the game’s clear intended experience”. Strong arguments.

Didn’t think I would have to clarify this, but I do not advocate for cheating. I simply see no reason for the game’s separation between online and offline characters.

It is a pretty redundant concept, leveling 2 characters simultaneously, with only one of them ever being useful.

Also, I would be very interested in hearing, how some Billy could ruin your trade experience? There’s no forced interaction in this game, neither there is a community based trade platform. Do they forcefully join your party and drop overpowered items in your lap, while maniacally laughing, because he purposefully ruined your fun?

Yeah, but you just come off as an angry little man. “You people try to ruin everyone’s fun”. Or my favourite : “you have no idea how game design works, but I, on the other hand, can tell you about the game’s clear intended experience”. Strong arguments.

Didn’t think I would have to clarify this, but I do not advocate for cheating. I simply see no reason for the game’s separation between online and offline characters.

It is a pretty redundant concept, leveling 2 characters simultaneously, with only one of them ever being useful.

Also, I would be very interested in hearing, how some Billy could ruin your trade experience? There’s no forced interaction in this game, neither there is a community based trade platform. Do they forcefully join your party and drop overpowered items in your lap, while maniacally laughing, because he purposefully ruined your fun?
    I would not want to see modified offline characters in my online mode also. Dont forget the game will still be developed and trading will be probably added later. Who knows if they wont also make some ladders or some sort of competition between players? And why you need to have two characters simultaneously? Either play offline mode or online, whats the problem? Just dont tell me you cant wait like 2-3 days to fix the login problems.