Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    A show being canceled doesn't mean past seasons were a failure. Every show ever made eventually ends. Game of Thrones was canceled because they choose not to do a season 9. Was Game of Thrones a failure? You aren't interested in logic here but simply in telling me I'm wrong no matter what because you dislike the show so it can never be called anything but a failure.
    I would argue there is a big difference between a show that is canceled and a show that ends. Game of Thrones wasn't canceled, it ended. Maybe ended with a shorter season and a rushed plot, but the story was brought to a final conclusion all the same. Other shows that end seasons on big cliffhangers and just...never come back? That's canceled, that is a show that failed because it failed to exist long enough to bring it's primary plot to a close. That's for story/plot driven shows. Episodic shows like Law & Order, Big Bang Theory, or The Office are clearly intended to last as long as possible until interest runs out and would also be considered failures if they can't make it past 2 seasons (the goal is probably at least 6 seasons). Even then, successful episodic shows have planned final episodes while the failures just never come back.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coniferous View Post
    Sure it has. Tolkien originally sold the rights to LOTR for 250k. Now the rights to do a series that doesn’t even cover the main trilogy sold for 250 million.
    It was actually 100k and it was to settle a tax bill. Lord of the Rings has a bigger presence then Wheel of the Time.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    It was actually 100k and it was to settle a tax bill. Lord of the Rings has a bigger presence then Wheel of the Time.
    Agreed, and a small fraction of LOTR sold for 250 million. So I said, let's assume WoT is worth say, 1/5 of a fraction of LOTR... boom, 50 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Candlewick View Post
    I don't know if anyone who didnt read the books would have any idea of wtf is happening by episode 3 at least. I don't think they even explained what a trolloc was they just had them attack. I could barely follow along and I had listened to the audio books only a few months before the show.
    I read the first few books eons ago and forgot a good chunk of it. My better half never read it, and had no problems following along.

I enjoyed the first season quite a bit. I hope they can keep it going, as it feels like a show that could be cancelled due to expense or something of that nature. One complaint that I read that I can't help agreeing with is that everyone's costumes look brand new in almost every scene, and once you look for this, it is a bit distracting. Looking forward to next season.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    I read the first few books eons ago and forgot a good chunk of it. My better half never read it, and had no problems following along.

I enjoyed the first season quite a bit. I hope they can keep it going, as it feels like a show that could be cancelled due to expense or something of that nature. One complaint that I read that I can't help agreeing with is that everyone's costumes look brand new in almost every scene, and once you look for this, it is a bit distracting. Looking forward to next season.
    They have a second season I know but it's expensive so who knows they want it to be their game of thrones...

If you enjoy it I hope it goes on but I think the ship sailed for me.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Finally got around to sitting down and finishing it all and my thought's are pretty much the same as when I just saw the first 3 episodes.

Good fantasy show on its own but not a very good wheel of time show. Ill keep watching it if they keep putting it out to compare it to the books if nothing else.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Yea...as I read in page 2 of Arstechnica review Andrew: The Perrin-Egwene thing is just there to artificially heighten tensions between some of our main characters, because some shows seem to believe that characters can't be interesting unless they're in some kind of conflict with one another at literally every possible second.
    Just wanted to also echo this. One of the things that really irritates me about today's "drama". Watch an old "Starsky & Hutch" tv show, then watch the newer "Starsky & Hutch" movie. In the older show they are partners working together, who appear to like each other, and cooperate. In the movie it's constant bickering. It's also very weak / lazy writing. The drama is artificial, so it completely takes me out of the intended suspense.

I don't know if "48 Hrs." started the trend, I just don't remember any good examples before that. But for so many movies & shows since then, folks who are working together, seem to be always fighting each other since.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rhlor View Post
    I like min! I hope Aviendha and Elayne look just as good when we see them on the show
    I'm curious if they will just skip Elayne all together and have Egwene fill both roles. I like my idea of book Min a lot more than show Min. I would have liked to see them go with someone younger who was more playful/teasing. The actor playing Min seems to just play her as "blah/meh", "I'm edgy!". Dunno, she just doesn't fit for me.

The forced diversity of the folks from Two Rivers and the ageless faces removed from the Aes Sedai aside, I think the actors playing all of the other main roles fit those characters enough for me. I think Min was the first one that didn't feel right.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Beloren View Post
    It would be Moiraine.. or Nynaeve beating Balzamon
    Or Rand might point a lazer of 50 W at "DARK ONE" and we will call it "a great show".

Haaa....I still remember when Mat called Dragon (not Lews Therin Telamon) most powerful male channeler. So ofcourse, Dragon is strong enough to fight "DARK ONE" with a "Sa'angreal" but he is weaker than very strong Nynaever or Egwene.

Another thing to get upset over if you are a woman.

P.S: They have casted Elayne, Aviendha, Selene and Faile. All 4 look better than what you have currently. Ofcourse Aviendha is a blonde and Elayne is a redhead. I kid you not. There is a talk of wig but Aiel might have Black and Chinese people. Selene looks great.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    They are not relying on the fanbase of the books at all though, if you dont read books of which most ppl dont you will not have one single clue what the wheel of time is about, all that matters is the viewers enjoying it and mostly they are, its doing just aswell as the hawkeye series.
    Must be why there is little buzz about show and even their "glorified" numbers are mediocre at best. Perhaps WoT readers were delusional thinking book had big fan base and if it translated well on tv, it can left its own impact of modern culture.

Also hawkeye is boring. That and Wanda and...many mediocre nonsense. Loki was best thing they did.
    Last edited by jdbond; 2021-12-31 at 07:04 AM.

The book fanbase is just a drop in the ocean compared to the amount of ppl who dont like reading books and prefer to watch something. TV/Film adaptations are targeted for the wider audience to make the most money out of it. Its almost impossible to please a fan of a book series when its turned into a TV/film series.

Most ppl wont have a clue the wheel of time is even a book series before they watch it.
    The books have sold 90 million copies per book there are still more readers than people who watched all 8 episodes.

- - - Updated - - -

They are not relying on the fanbase of the books at all though, if you dont read books of which most ppl dont you will not have one single clue what the wheel of time is about, all that matters is the viewers enjoying it and mostly they are, its doing just aswell as the hawkeye series.
    It's not ratings are plummeting both of critics and base users.

- - - Updated - - -

Mystery Science Theater needs to do a few episodes.
    Now that's something I might actually watch or rifftrax which is their newish thing.

Nynaeve: "Moiraine has a tell..."
    Lan: "A tell?"
    Nynaeve: "A tell."
    Lan: "Will you tell me the tell?"
    Nynaeve: "I will tell you the tale of her tell."
    Lan: "No need to tell the whole tale. You can just tell me the tell."
    Nynaeve: "But it's a good tale, and I like telling tales."
    Lan: "No need for a tale, just telling the tell is fine."
    Nynaeve: "Then I shall tell you the tell without telling the tale."
    Lan: "Cool, because I was really starting to run out of ways to say tell."

Ripped from Dragonmount.

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    The books have sold 90 million copies per book there are still more readers than people who watched all 8 episodes.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Now that's something I might actually watch or rifftrax which is their newish thing.
    Not per book, that would be crazy. 90 million total.

- - - Updated - - -

Ripped from Dragonmount.
    "Then let's talk about our doomed attraction that we can never fulfill, creating tension for future seasons. I can give you a token of my love."
    "Eh, let's just bone!"

Ripped from Dragonmount.
    Not enough Braid Tugging.

Quote Originally Posted by Coniferous View Post
    Not per book, that would be crazy. 90 million total.

- - - Updated - - -

"Then let's talk about our doomed attraction that we can never fulfill, creating tension for future seasons. I can give you a token of my love."
    "Eh, let's just bone!"
    I'm aware, per book 90/14 is still more than have watched all eight episodes.

https://dragonmount.com/news/tv-show/s1eotwreview/

The dmount final review even with mods having a rather iron fist is rather full of negative comments weird almost like it massively strayed from the book to an extent no actual fan could tolerate.
    Last edited by Xath; 2021-12-31 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jdbond View Post
    Must be why there is little buzz about show and even their "glorified" numbers are mediocre at best. Perhaps WoT readers were delusional thinking book had big fan base and if it translated well on tv, it can left its own impact of modern culture.

Also hawkeye is boring. That and Wanda and...many mediocre nonsense. Loki was best thing they did.
    Amazon Prime is the smallest streaming service available in terms on viewers and its currently doing more than good, if you think hawkeye was boring you dont have very good taste.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Where are you getting that each copy sold 90million the series as a whole apparently only hit 80m in 2017.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...-selling_books
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Not enough Braid Tugging.
    I think she like did it once or twice at most in the show

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Hands down the best series I've seen this year. Not even a competition, tbh.
    What did you like about it?

I'm aware, per book 90/14 is still more than have watched all eight episodes.

https://dragonmount.com/news/tv-show/s1eotwreview/

The dmount final review even with mods having a rather iron fist is rather full of negative comments weird almost like it massively strayed from the book to an extent no actual fan could tolerate.
    Funny how the writer dances around the central problem with the plot change by noting that the scenes with Rand were the strongest. Hey, maybe they would have been even stronger if it had followed the plot in the book and made Rand the main character instead of foisting half his job onto Nynaeve and Egwene?

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

The wheel of time has been around 40 years so selling 90 million books is nothing compared to what tv/films do, they dont have 90 million readers, if 1 reader each bought the whole series they would have over 6 million but its likely its not that high, the tv series pulled in 15-20 million viewers on amazon which is the smallest streaming service currently so thats very good.

The wheel of time tv series is rated pretty high and in the top 5 for all metrics atm, so its a pretty decent series currently.

You can think its not a good book adaptation thats fine but it still a good series to watch.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2021-12-31 at 06:33 PM.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

The wheel of time has been around 40 years so selling 90 million books is nothing compared to what tv/films do, they dont have 90 million readers, if 1 reader each bought the whole series they would have over 6 million but its likely its not that high, the tv series pulled in 15-20 million viewers on amazon which is the smallest streaming service currently so thats very good.

The wheel of time tv series is rated pretty high and in the top 5 for all metrics atm, so its a pretty decent series currently.
    I think Amazon is likely ok with the current series ratings, but I think the way they adapted this was similar to season 6 of GoT - when they ran out of books, they put too many payoffs in one season then the rest of the series was a mess. I think this series has deviated so far from the plot that they're going to really start to lose the thread next season - most notably by supercharging Nynaeve.