I love books very much, but I will not watch this series for now. I'll wait until all the episodes come out and then I'll watch the whole story without interruption.

Quote Originally Posted by WButler89 View Post
    I love books very much, but I will not watch this series for now. I'll wait until all the episodes come out and then I'll watch the whole story without interruption.
    Well you won't be watching anything resembling the books story. Also this is getting canceled after second season at best. Massive budget per episode but highly divisive.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    If I were going to do a series of this I would probably do the prologue first.

Then A new spring. It would be a short series probably 5 episodes or even a movie length intro. I’d then do…

Season 2 will actually be Eye of the world and be a full on 23 episode long season

The book is written like a film. The suspense and build up always have action. And there is enough mystery to keep you watching to discover more.
    Now see that would actually make sense. Honestly doing it as an animated feature would have been so much better some things we just can't do well in live action yet at least Rafe certainly can't.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Matt is fine other then him being more of a thief then a prankster. Maybe I just missed that in the books early on but it never came across that way to me. Perrin though I hate since him not having a family ties in perfectly with his abilities and role later. Killing his wife (or having one in the first place) changes that dynamic a little. He isn't the "lone wolf" with out a family anymore. He just lost his wife. It also sucked they didn't cover his abilities a little bit more in episode 3. They really should have included Elyas somehow even if just as a figure on the tree line.

Instead of the axe and weapons of war thing it looks like it will be fear of hurting loved ones. It will be interesting to see how the tinkers interact with his character given the changes.

The show is a good fantasy. Good "inspired by" the books but I still think it is a poor adaptation with some of the changes so far. And I hated the musical score during the Thom scenes. It is weirdly out of place. Also good point about the wheel and who is bound to it. Changes the importance of characters and actions and the meaning of Ta'veren, Pattern, and Wheel.
    Agreed with your last paragraph in particular.

But PErrin killing his wife could actually make him an even more powerful Lonewolf type person.. however they don't emotionally connect us to that enough or develop it. In the first 3 episodes, you just don't get the sense that Perrin is a lonewolf - that dynamic came out poor.. has friends, but is withdrawing because of what he did to this wife.. so the whole point of bringing in said wife and killing her is negated by the poor integration later.

While I think the actor who played Thom was brilliant, and looks the part, the song was no where near the level of good I imagined from the book...is that another subjective thing though?

Quote Originally Posted by Beloren View Post
    While I think the actor who played Thom was brilliant, and looks the part, the song was no where near the level of good I imagined from the book...is that another subjective thing though?
    I agree about Thom's actor. About his song... I think that could be explained by his explanation in the books. That being that there are several forms of storytelling/singing that a Gleeman uses based on his audience. I think the song in episode three falls under the "Common Tongue" category. Plain speech without anything fancy for regular working folk. It would be a lot different if he were doing it for royalty.

10+ Year Old Account
    Damn that Rand dude looks like Ryan Phillipe

Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    Damn that Rand dude looks like Ryan Phillipe
    He is very good looking. I’m surprised I think so.

I didn’t think so in the cast pics. I don’t really see Egwene as a stunning beauty the book describes, or maybe it’s just me

How well is the series doing anyway?

It’s not as good as the book, that’s pretty obvious. but it’s still pretty good.

It could have been the best though. It plays like a better Shanara rather than a Lordnof thenRings.

Still very good though imo

10+ Year Old Account
    I tired, but I fell asleep after the Battle of Bel Tine and didnt wake up until episode 3. The characters felt bland and there's just too many of them. Rosamund Pike looked hella bored. Kinda with they would have let her or another character chew up some scenery.
    Reminds me how LotR lucked out with Peter Jackson.

Series is being hated most by fans. Welcome to Hollywood where Mat is a hopeless "thief", Perrin is fake wife killer, and story is beating even fastest bullets trains.
    Effects are cheap, sets and costume from some LARP and characters are totally not relatable.

But it is getting the "strong woman" part right so that's that. I loved the fact that people in Two rivers knew Aes Sedai oaths, rings, dragon etc but didn't know Tinkers.

Quote Originally Posted by jdbond View Post
    Series is being hated most by fans. Welcome to Hollywood where Mat is a hopeless "thief", Perrin is fake wife killer, and story is beating even fastest bullets trains.
    Effects are cheap, sets and costume from some LARP and characters are totally not relatable.

But it is getting the "strong woman" part right so that's that. I loved the fact that people in Two rivers knew Aes Sedai oaths, rings, dragon etc but didn't know Tinkers.
    They literally talked about Alsbet Luhhan having a tinker mended pot in EoTW. Rafe needs to be staked outside in the sun and left to burn ffs.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Really only matters if Rand isn't the Dragon Reborn.
    not making the dragon male has huge implications for the rest of the story. it was the male half of the source that was tainted by teh DO in the books. his couterstroke tainted it. also negates the cleansing of saidin as well as the future of teh asha man. not to mention the end of the book itself needed all three powers to be woven. saidin saidar and the true power. so yeah this is very important.
    “Listen, three eyes,” he said, “don’t you try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theangryone View Post
    You should, Terry Goodkind straight up stole whole concepts from WoT and put them in the Sword of Truth series
    His The Sword of Truth books were horrible. Also Terry Goodkind while sad he is dead, was piece of shit as a person. I also laugh when he said he hates the fantasy genre and calls it childish while also saying his own books are not fantasy lol.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Konteil View Post
    not making the dragon male has huge implications for the rest of the story. it was the male half of the source that was tainted by teh DO in the books. his couterstroke tainted it. also negates the cleansing of saidin as well as the future of teh asha man. not to mention the end of the book itself needed all three powers to be woven. saidin saidar and the true power. so yeah this is very important.
    Which, like I said, only matters if they change that. So far, they haven't. All they've said so far is that, in this version, they don't know if the Dragon was reborn as a boy or a girl. But they have shown that Men that can use the power all go insane... which wouldn't be necessary for them to do if they were planning a gender swap. All this change does is throw a red herring out for people that haven't read the books that it's possible Egwene could be the Dragon.

Which, like I said, only matters if they change that. So far, they haven't. All they've said so far is that, in this version, they don't know if the Dragon was reborn as a boy or a girl. But they have shown that Men that can use the power all go insane... which wouldn't be necessary for them to do if they were planning a gender swap. All this change does is throw a red herring out for people that haven't read the books that it's possible Egwene could be the Dragon.
    It's not possible though is what you refuse to get. There are gendered souls in WoT it's also why outside of the Dark One forcing male souls into the bodies of women there is not instance of trans. People are born into the bodies matching their souls which would be awesome if it just always happened on earth as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    It's not possible though is what you refuse to get. There are gendered souls in WoT it's also why outside of the Dark One forcing male souls into the bodies of women there is not instance of trans. People are born into the bodies matching their souls which would be awesome if it just always happened on earth as well.
    That's just you being dogmatic to the books.

7+ Year Old Account
    true. im waiting patiently to see waht they do. guess we wills ee how first season ends. i always get nervous with tv adaptations of books because they are pandering to ratings not fans.
    “Listen, three eyes,” he said, “don’t you try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.”

15+ Year Old Account
    The show seems to be holding steady at 3.5 stars(over 10,000 reviews) and 7.4 on IMDB. So at least most seem to be enjoying it so far even if it isn't the best adaptation. It was 7.7 when I watched it Saturday.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    Regarding the women could be the dragon, Rafe had an ama on reddit:

Question:

"Hi Rafe as I am sure you have seen a lot of fans of the books have had concerns about some changes, as I am sure you would have expected. However, a main one seems to be that a woman can be the dragon.

Why was this change made if the Dragon is going to be the same anyway as it changes a lot in the world Jordan created e.g. the dragon if a woman can be trained by other woman in the tower etc, or touch Callandor."

Answer:

"The change we made was not just with the fact that a woman could be the Dragon, the core change we made was that people are NOT 100% convinced that these 3000 year old prophecies are 100% accurate.

I think it feels a little bit more true to the world, and you see the characters questioning the prophecies of the Dragon and the details of it much more in the show than in the books (although there are some scenes in the books that show this as well, we've just expanded on that).

It seems quite trusting for the Aes Sedai, who trust no one, and especially Moiraine, who trusts less than no one, to believe with 100% certainty ANYTHING that was written thousands of years ago"

https://www.reddit.com/r/television/...tive_producer/

Quote Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
    It seems quite trusting for the Aes Sedai, who trust no one, and especially Moiraine, who trusts less than no one, to believe with 100% certainty ANYTHING that was written thousands of years ago
    I mean, isn't it more or less literal fact that the Wheel reincarnates people all the time? This isn't "trusting something that was written down", this is trusting that the world works how you've determined it works. The Aes Sedai know the Wheel reincarnates souls. They know the Dragon existed. They know male channelers go mad. Those are not suppositions or blind trust, they're empirical and historical facts. The original books only touched upon the scholarly works of channelers briefly, but there seems to be an entire "science" around understanding the wheel and pattern - the Aes Sedai are likely to have TONS of reliable data on the subject, they're not just a cult who follows some unverifiable doctrine written down in ages past (not to mention that some channelers live hundreds of years, so their historical accounts would be more accurate, too)

Rafe has already come out saying he's not sticking with how souls are in the book.