Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Point being, it's not one town. There's 4 different settlements and several independent farms. It's not nearly as tiny as you were seemingly making it out to be.

4 settlements of no unification at all among themselves except for being subjects of Andor (who barely acknowledge that at all) and unspecified farms are even less for establishing much of anything beyond how in the boonies the whole place is... I sincerely doubt it's a good case of a multiple millenia old lost empire's melting pot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kharadin View Post
    I mean I guess that's fair enough I just don't agree. I don't think it's intended to mean anything other than what it says. They're dark of hair and eye, and Rand is a tall white boy with blue/grey eyes and red hair, thus he stands out. Within those bounds, I think the casting of the main ensemble fits just fine. That being said, Tam's a bit lighter in pretty much every respect than I'd expect since sans his height he could believably be Rand's daddy in the show which is a bit scuffed.
    Once again the only reasons Rand stands out is hair color eye color and height. He along with the rest have farmer's tans his skin color is only noticed when Elaidia rolls up his sleeve to show untanned skin.. Jordan also had literal cast lists of who he was seeing as each person when he wrote the books. The casting much like the changes to characterization is just straight up bad and Rafe pushing himself and his views over Jordan's world.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    I can't wait for them to go "desert people? MUST BE AFRICAN/MIDDLE-EASTERN ACTORS" because you just know it.
    Oh jeez they are going to do that aren't they ugh

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    There's a long ass Robert Jordan Style description for the sword to include a hilt of braided metal, heron marks on hilt and blade, and it's single edged blade. Something fair different from what guards and mercenaries would have

edit:

but really... the basic description should have been something like a Falchion or what I've come to understand as a Kriegmesser. Defintely NOT a katana
    Kriegmesser is probably the closest I think a less ornate version but that fits the description of almost fragile looking.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Literally Cenn Buie is literally noted as being "dark as an old root" which in Robert Jordan's notes was how he wanted to described black people but no one bitched and moaned when Cenn Buie was white in the graphic novels..or white in the films, and I give not a single shit his casting is white.

The two rivers literally is the remnant of a large metropolitan city so people saying they should all be one race probably haven't read the books very closely. A lot of people are described as dark or light or pale and such and it's up to the person to imagine well " how dark is dark" but I've heard people think that Tuon is olive skin dark Italian when the book literally describes her as a black porcelain which... is pretty fucking dark lol.
    Cenn Buie was described as gnarled the graphic novels were heavily overseen by Jordan with him directly interjecting a bunch especially on new spring.

Either way the casting is secondary compared to what they have done to the characters especially Mat and his family.
    Last edited by Xath; 2021-12-01 at 10:37 PM.

As would I. I couldn't fathom it either. But the changes they've made to the prophecies to allow it to be a man or woman don't make ANY sense to me unless they're going to do something like that. There's no reason to change the prophecies to allow it to be both of those genders if they never had any intention of making it a woman.
    Gonna play devil's advocate here, but do you really think they're going to change the Dragon Reborn into a different character?

I mean consider that they picked a pretty damn close book-description Dragon Reborn (I'm intentionally avoiding spoiler), and the series is keeping him super low-key with almost no hype over his character while eagerly hyping up everyone else. You think the show is really going to have Egwene or Nynaeve be the Dragon Reborn? To me, it's pretty clear that the show is still setting up for a big Dragon Reborn reveal while keeping the casual audience's expectations super low surrounding the actual character.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2021-12-01 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    4 settlements of no unification at all among themselves except for being subjects of Andor (who barely acknowledge that at all) and unspecified farms are even less for establishing much of anything beyond how in the boonies the whole place is... I sincerely doubt it's a good case of a multiple millenia old lost empire's melting pot.
    Sorry. Can you clarify what point you're making? I think I got lost in the thread and missed that somewhere.

My only point is that it's not tiny, nothing to do with population size, or it being a melting pot or anything. And what do you mean here by melting pot? I'm not reading that sentence right, as it sounds like you're using the word different than how I understand it.

Just want to make sure we're on the same page before replying with more info and adding my 2 cents.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Gonna play devil's advocate here, but do you really think they're going to change the Dragon Reborn into a different character?

I mean consider that they picked a pretty damn close book-description Dragon Reborn (I'm intentionally avoiding spoiler), and the series is keeping him super low-key with almost no hype over his character while eagerly hyping up everyone else. You think the show is really going to have Egwene or Nynaeve be the Dragon Reborn? To me, it's pretty clear that the show is still setting up for a big Dragon Reborn reveal while keeping the casual audience's expectations super low surrounding the actual character.
    I honestly have no idea. I've seen some really fucked up book adaptations. Not going to put it passed anyone these days to pull something ridiculous like changing a main characters role.

But no I don't TRULY think so. But again, I just can't wrap my head around why they're making some of the changes they are unless they're going down that road. It makes no sense to me otherwise.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    I can't wait for them to go "desert people? MUST BE AFRICAN/MIDDLE-EASTERN ACTORS" because you just know it.
    Tbh it is proberly the biggest problem the show has to deal with, or will skip over, that most of the cultures in WoT have different looks when it comes to skin color.

Like, how are you gonna get desert gingers? Or save the entire black skin color for a sea faring folk.

While i am a big fan of the divide in the books, as the cultures/nationalities are distinct enough to make some cool scenes, where they meet on the scene, its obvious that we will not see that and something will be lost because of that.

There are so many "Wtf is that :O!" that you won't get when characters meet Aiel or Atha'an Miere and see a kind of folk they have never seen before.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Geckoo View Post
    It's an average fantasy show.
    Exactly.

That is going to be the downfall of the show i think. Its attitude towards the show makes it less special and it just becomes a new generic fantasy show. And with shows like Shadow and Bone, the Witcher, the Letter of the King and soon Lord of the Rings, why should you watch Wheel of Time when these shows does their own source material better.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    Tbh it is proberly the biggest problem the show has to deal with, or will skip over, that most of the cultures in WoT have different looks when it comes to skin color.

Like, how are you gonna get desert gingers? Or save the entire black skin color for a sea faring folk.

While i am a big fan of the divide in the books, as the cultures/nationalities are distinct enough to make some cool scenes, where they meet on the scene, its obvious that we will not see that and something will be lost because of that.

There are so many "Wtf is that :O!" that you won't get when characters meet Aiel or Atha'an Miere and see a kind of folk they have never seen before.
    I'd imagine they would have to go all out with costuming to really separate the cultures if they're going to mix the races on screen. The Aiel are really the only race, IMO, where the actual skin, hair and eye color are really important because of how it relates to one of the main characters.

Exactly.

That is going to be the downfall of the show i think. Its attitude towards the show makes it less special and it just becomes a new generic fantasy show. And with shows like Shadow and Bone, the Witcher, the Letter of the King and soon Lord of the Rings, why should you watch Wheel of Time when these shows does their own source material better.
    Eh. Depends. I'm a sucker for fantasy shows, and they only have to be decent for me to just gobble it up. The source material here is close to my heart so I'm more critical of their adaptation, and so far...it's fine. I'm still skeptical of where it's going, but it's fine so far. I agree that it's a relatively generic fantasy show, but the production value is shown, but I also agree that it doesn't make good use of it in some cases.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'd imagine they would have to go all out with costuming to really separate the cultures if they're going to mix the races on screen. The Aiel are really the only race, IMO, where the actual skin, hair and eye color are really important because of how it relates to one of the main characters.
    Yeah that is what i think too. It seems like that the way they are doing cultures/nations is clothes instead of skin color. Which is alright i guess, but i will agree that the Aiel will lose some of the wierdness, oddness and coolness around them, if they are just like other people, but with desert clothes. It would have been pretty awesome to see the scenes where the Aiel stand beside the Tear folk, standing 1-2 feet taller than them and looking like giants xD

Eh. Depends. I'm a sucker for fantasy shows, and they only have to be decent for me to just gobble it up. The source material here is close to my heart so I'm more critical of their adaptation, and so far...it's fine. I'm still skeptical of where it's going, but it's fine so far. I agree that it's a relatively generic fantasy show, but the production value is shown, but I also agree that it doesn't make good use of it in some cases.
    While i always hope that respect for the material will matter, i do know that WoT will most likely be sucessful simply based upon its production value. The thing is just, that i fear that it will not last the 8-10 seasons the full story will require, if they just keep being generic. They will never get the HUGE viewership, that is required to keep the production value up for that many seasons :/
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

15+ Year Old Account
    But no I don't TRULY think so. But again, I just can't wrap my head around why they're making some of the changes they are unless they're going down that road. It makes no sense to me otherwise.
    It is because they have no real plot besides the "mystery" of who the Dragon is. Reading the episode descriptions we find out in Episode 7. Episode 8 covers presumably covers the same ending of the first book given the title but who really knows. https://wot-prime.fandom.com/wiki/Season_1#Episodes

Though the Episode 7 and 8 descriptions don't show up on a lot of source so maybe they will change from the ones from the link I provided.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Rotten Tomatoes has an unusual way of calculating scores. Its much higher than elsewhere. Metacritic has it at 55 critcs and 63 viewers, while IMdB (owned by Amazon) is at 75 from the viewers
    Anyone with a functional brain knows that Rotten Tomatoes is not worth taking seriously and that's been the case since they started obfuscating reviews because people had legitimate criticisms of films.

I mean, have you not considered that this is a weekly TV series and they're intentionally adding cliffhangers and hooks for the casual audience to build up a buzz and get talking about it? It's pretty obvious that's why this is even happening.

The Books were pretty flat out linear, and even if the Dragon Reborn wasn't outright talked about or if you already knew it was going to be X character, the mystery was part of the charm of finding things out. And maybe the show creators simply didn't think the 3 main characters was enough of a hook so they wanted to expand that to all the tagalong characters. As far as I see it, the Dragon Reborn is still going to be male, so the prophecy (or interpretations of such) aren't as important to the overall TV plot as they are in the book series. Unless they're actually going to switch up making Egwene or Nynaeve the Dragon Reborn, the overall plot doesn't actually change since we're still going to follow all the other story beats leading to the final battle. I imagine that this will definitely have a butterfly effect throughout the TV universe, but they're not switching up the plot so far to have a literal different character be the Dragon Reborn here, they're switching up how the prophecy works for the purpose of generating buzz amongst the TV fans.

Cuz let's face it, if it was as is in the books and it was just the 3 main characters, it's already super obvious which one is the Dragon Reborn even if you've never read the books. I don't know how a more casual non-book reader would take the series right now at face value, but the TV series has kept it quite ambiguous so far, and with the racial diversity at play, I don't think it's all too obvious who the Dragon Reborn might actually be. I mean even now, you know who it will be, and you're still questioning whether they'd actually change it up. That's generating discussion that we would never otherwise have, and frankly that mystery may be disconcerting to you, but it's just as much going to be a relief if they end up sticking to the book Dragon Reborn. The rest of the stuff not making sense - like, do the prophecy hints really matter that much once the Dragon Reborn actually gets unveiled? The plot is still going to continue having everyone question the prophecies, having the prophecies slowly revealed, and the slow shift of focus to whether the Dragon Reborn will die or not more than concerns over whether his soul could be female or not.

Yeah that is what i think too. It seems like that the way they are doing cultures/nations is clothes instead of skin color. Which is alright i guess, but i will agree that the Aiel will lose some of the wierdness, oddness and coolness around them, if they are just like other people, but with desert clothes. It would have been pretty awesome to see the scenes where the Aiel stand beside the Tear folk, standing 1-2 feet taller than them and looking like giants xD
    That would be awesome.

While i always hope that respect for the material will matter, i do know that WoT will most likely be sucessful simply based upon its production value. The thing is just, that i fear that it will not last the 8-10 seasons the full story will require, if they just keep being generic. They will never get the HUGE viewership, that is required to keep the production value up for that many seasons :/
    I don't think it will last either, but I hope rather than just killing the show, they just reduce the cost per episode. That said, I'm sure they could already do that, as a significant portion of the cost so far is creating the costuming and such that could likely be reused in later seasons.

We'll have to wait and see. I guess. But I'll probably continue watching for as long it's available...so long as they don't change things up so much where it makes me stop watching.

7+ Year Old Account
    That would be awesome.

I don't think it will last either, but I hope rather than just killing the show, they just reduce the cost per episode. That said, I'm sure they could already do that, as a significant portion of the cost so far is creating the costuming and such that could likely be reused in later seasons.

We'll have to wait and see. I guess. But I'll probably continue watching for as long it's available...so long as they don't change things up so much where it makes me stop watching.
    If they find their stride and are able to keep going with the core of the story staying true, i would not mind them reducing the cost of the show. Just aslong as we don't get to the quality of like Flash, then il properly enjoy it.

And as you say, we will have to wait and see. We are afterall only on the first season and only 4 episodes in. Things can change and defiantly also for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    It is because they have no real plot besides the "mystery" of who the Dragon is. Reading the episode descriptions we find out in Episode 7. Episode 8 covers presumably covers the same ending of the first book given the title but who really knows. https://wot-prime.fandom.com/wiki/Season_1#Episodes

Though the Episode 7 and 8 descriptions don't show up on a lot of source so maybe they will change from the ones from the link I provided.
    Not quite sure what you mean about the show having no real plot, and how this relates to the episode 7 and 8 conclusions. Does the book go over a different plot than what is outlined there or something?

7+ Year Old Account
    SNIP
    ....While i don't condone it at ALL!......It would be interesting to see what they would do with Rands character, if he is not the dragon reborn :O

Like, if he does not become the Car'a'carn, will he then get a different position within the Aiel or do they do something completly out there with him?

Just an interesting thought i guess. The story has potential for wild things, if we accept that the story is changed completly aside from the core.

I mean, have you not considered that this is a weekly TV series and they're intentionally adding cliffhangers and hooks for the casual audience to build up a buzz and get talking about it? It's pretty obvious that's why this is even happening.
    Which is unnecessary and silly IMO.

The Books were pretty flat out linear, and even if the Dragon Reborn wasn't outright talked about or if you already knew it was going to be X character, the mystery was part of the charm of finding things out. And maybe the show creators simply didn't think the 3 main characters was enough of a hook so they wanted to expand that to all the tagalong characters. As far as I see it, the Dragon Reborn is still going to be male, so the prophecy (or interpretations of such) aren't as important to the overall TV plot as they are in the book series. Unless they're actually going to switch up making Egwene or Nynaeve the Dragon Reborn, the overall plot doesn't actually change since we're still going to follow all the other story beats leading to the final battle. I imagine that this will definitely have a butterfly effect throughout the TV universe, but they're not switching up the plot so far to have a literal different character be the Dragon Reborn here, they're switching up how the prophecy works for the purpose of generating buzz amongst the TV fans.
    Again, unnecessary IMO. If they focused on telling the story as it's written in the book, they could still generate buzz among the fans while staying true to the spirit of the books, by focusing on creating those cliffhangers and such using actual events in the book rather than manufacturing some alternate event to create that buzz. I think they focused on the wrong stuff.

Case in point, the latest episode completely fucks up Nynaeves character arch, as far as how her character develops in the book. All the challenges she faces because of her issues with channeling because of her inability to "surrender," all gone now that she just did it automatically. Or they significantly jumped ahead in her development and she broke that barrier now, but again that fucks up SO much of her story.

Cuz let's face it, if it was as is in the books and it was just the 3 main characters, it's already super obvious which one is the Dragon Reborn even if you've never read the books. I don't know how a more casual non-book reader would take the series right now at face value, but the TV series has kept it quite ambiguous so far, and with the racial diversity at play, I don't think it's all too obvious who the Dragon Reborn might actually be. I mean even now, you know who it will be, and you're still questioning whether they'd actually change it up. That's generating discussion that we would never otherwise have, and frankly that mystery may be disconcerting to you, but it's just as much going to be a relief if they end up sticking to the book Dragon Reborn. The rest of the stuff not making sense - like, do the prophecy hints really matter that much once the Dragon Reborn actually gets unveiled? The plot is still going to continue having everyone question the prophecies, having the prophecies slowly revealed, and the slow shift of focus to whether the Dragon Reborn will die or not more than concerns over whether his soul could be female or not.
    I'll boil it down. I think they're focusing too much on generating hype and keeping things vague to drive some kind of intrigue rather than just telling the story, so much so that they're manufacturing events to create that hype rather than using the events in the story that would naturally create it. Instead of thinking about how they could create the feelings they're wanting to evoke using events that actually happen in the book, they're manufacturing new stuff to TRY and do that. And IMO, they're not doing great at it. Perrin's wife and Mat' family issues being good examples of this.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not quite sure what you mean about the show having no real plot, and how this relates to the episode 7 and 8 conclusions. Does the book go over a different plot than what is outlined there or something?
    The plot of the book is not about the mystery of who the Dragon is. But about protecting the Dragon and the Journey to the Eye of the World. While that is loosely what the show is doing it is putting a greater emphasis on who the Dragon is with all of the changes it has made so far. That mystery is revealed in episode 7.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't really get the entire "who is the dragon reborn" mystery, because... its not a really interesting mystery.

Having this mystery is stealing the other characters from their own story. If we kinda knew that Rand was the dragon reborn from the start in the show, the entire season could instead build up the other characters wants/needs, so that we get to see rand be the Dragon Reborn, the other characters still have their own goals intact.

Again, unnecessary IMO. If they focused on telling the story as it's written in the book, they could still generate buzz among the fans while staying true to the spirit of the books, by focusing on creating those cliffhangers and such using actual events in the book rather than manufacturing some alternate event to create that buzz. I think they focused on the wrong stuff.

Case in point, the latest episode completely fucks up Nynaeves character arch, as far as how her character develops in the book. All the challenges she faces because of her issues with channeling because of her inability to "surrender," all gone now that she just did it automatically. Or they significantly jumped ahead in her development and she broke that barrier now, but again that fucks up SO much of her story.
    Considering the pacing and considering the changes they added, everything seems rushed because they want to have everyone be on board that these characters have flaws (Perrin killing wife = immediate loner filled with regrets and fears, Mat with daddy/mommy issues = good-hearted yet broken character) or potential to be great (Egwene and Nynaeve with immediate powers). I don't think they have the benefit of the books of having enough time to develop these characters at all, especially enough to cover each and every one of them. That's what I see leading them to take these immediate shortcuts.

Plus there's no guarantee that the time they spend going on these character journeys will necessarily pay off either, since spending so much time to develop X character ultimately takes screen time away from Y, and I can see why they'll take the shortcut of just giving characters that power for the sake of building up expectations later on for the actual Dragon Reborn once that's all unveiled.

Again, not something I agree with creatively, but I don't think the idea that it is unnecessary also means it's not understandable. We can understand it and still disagree with it, and if you say you're not understanding then all I'm doing is offering a different angle to take a look at. By no means am I implying all of this should be accepted without question. Again, I also see some of the changes as being fairly pointless, but as someone who works in TV I also understand why some of these changes need to be made. The plot moving at lightning speeds in the first 3 episodes tells me that they don't have the fortune of taking their time with the story and establishing the world as we might have time enjoying the books. They have 8 episodes to tell the entire first book, so they're gonna cram as much in there as they can while character development is going to take a hit for it.

I'll boil it down. I think they're focusing too much on generating hype and keeping things vague to drive some kind of intrigue rather than just telling the story, so much so that they're manufacturing events to create that hype rather than using the events in the story that would naturally create it. Instead of thinking about how they could create the feelings they're wanting to evoke using events that actually happen in the book, they're manufacturing new stuff to TRY and do that. And IMO, they're not doing great at it. Perrin's wife and Mat' family issues being good examples of this.
    It's always a catch 22 since non-book readers may not get those same 'feelings' as someone who has read the books and is simply interested in seeing what they imagine in their head be played out on screen. If they made that version of the show, there's always a chance that a non-book reader could simply be lost and not totally 'get' the characters, because the pacing is much slower and nuanced rather than straight up translated in visual medium.

One example is how they chose to do the magic. In the books, you're not even supposed to see anything. There's no visual indication that anyone uses the one power, and that's what makes it so dangerous. It just happens, and you don't really get to react until it's too late. Compare that to how every bit of magic is visually shown for everyone to see. That's a creative decision that they have to make for the audience to properly recognize that this is 'magic' at play, and not be confusing as fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    The fact that he's a thatcher means he spent his whole life exposed to the sun too, I rather imagine him to be like an old rancher, darkened by the sun rather than ethnicity.
    That said I'm not one to be bothered by the color of an actors skin, as long as the source material is respected.
    You can imagine him that way... RJ's notes however would say he's using those words to describe black people. The actual description "he is as gnarled and dark as an old root"

As long as source material is being respected is frankly shitty code lol. RJ also didn't really like depictions of his characters btw.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really get the entire "who is the dragon reborn" mystery, because... its not a really interesting mystery.
    You say that, but I have some friends who watch the show without having read the books, and the thing they're talking about the most is exactly this mystery. One episode they think it's Perrin, the next they think it's Egwene, then Mat, now Nyneave.

Which is why the show keeps that card up its sleeve while showing various characters having special characteristics. It creates conversation and buzz but doesn't actually derail the overall direction that the story in the books takes, everyone's clearly still on the same course.

Honestly I think it's a pretty valid way to keep people interested while you're building up the characters and the world. Sooner or later they have to drop the mystery and make it clear who the dragon is (and I'm 99.99% sure it's the same as in the books) but by that time you'll have people invested in other parts of the story and characters.