Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    You said you didn't think he was a threat to warrant a response from the White Tower. Stopping and searching a sister who remained hidden. Flaunting a collection of rings and breaking off from a group that is hunting shadowspawn, one of the primary goals of the Whitecloaks, is not a big enough threat to warrant a response from the tower or sisters? lol.
    Yes, and via the books I believe that point is addressed and makes perfect sense.

Just considering a viewer of the show though, I can see how that might look scuffed, so fair play.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    It seems made for those that haven't read the books.
    This seems to be the big thing to take home. Stop looking to the books for any expectation or understanding of the show. Stop hoping the show is any kind of direct translation of the books. All you'll find is some matching names, a few matching plot points, but it seems like it's mostly going to be its own story.

Quote Originally Posted by Pratt View Post
    After how terrible The Shannara Chronicles was I'm scared to even give this one a try.
    If you are backing on it being exactly like the book, you'd be very disapopinted. Enough creative liberties taken to annoy any who wanted things just like the book.

if you canwrap your head round that this is an alternate version, it's a nice show that shows a visualisation of your favourite places in the story while loosely telling a similar tale, but one that roughly follows the same plot.

On it's own, it is good, but knowing what the book is like, it will disappoint - not that it isn't good, it's just the same level.

I get the feeling they severely nerfed the White Tower in the show. I like how in the books Aes Sedai and the White Tower are portrayed as nigh divine in how gargantuan a presence it has in global politics, and how Aes Sedai are feared and thought to be near-godlike in power. Then as you progress and get to observe main casts interact with them you learn they're just humans that mask their emotions and "fake it til they make it".

Here they get Aes Sedai ganked by randoms in s1 and have Whitecloaks openly gathering rings. In the books the Whitecloaks are mostly loud and obnoxious without daring to actually push against the White Tower because it would end in political disaster for them. So yeah they'll kill Aes Sedai but only in ambushes or in ways where they have plausible deniability, not openly burning them and brandishing trophies.

Aes Sedai might not be able to directly confront them in combat, but the White Tower was never about war power, they would basically turn every kingdom bar Amadicia against the Whitecloaks, effectively killing the little influence they had left and then pressure Amadicia to kick them out too.

I expected the Aes Sedai to be humanised in the show as well, but not this early tbh. Why are the general population so scared of them if randoms just kill them with bow and arrow?

After how terrible The Shannara Chronicles was I'm scared to even give this one a try.
    Others have said it's on par with Elegon.

Hollywood Reporter Review

What follows is a monotonous and fairly predictable series of jaunts from one town to the next, from one encounter with threatening strangers to the next, from one contrived separation of the group’s members to the next. I never felt like I was watching an unfolding story, but I absolutely felt like I was watching the whiteboard in a writers room, more the pushing of note cards toward a destination than an adventure.

------

That last bit hits hard. Because the story isn’t the destination. The story is the path taken to the destination.
    Last edited by Shadowferal; 2021-12-06 at 05:05 PM.

I grew up with the books, started reading in high school, and would read all the books again after the new one came out. Never finished them, but I am reading them again and I will finish this time.

The show really hurt, I was really hoping it would be good. It feels like the show runners don't respect the books, and I really wonder how Jordan's family feels about this.

Quote Originally Posted by loppy88 View Post
    I really wonder how Jordan's family feels about this.
    We've tried to reach them, but they're lost somewhere in the swimming pool full of money this has likely generated for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    We've tried to reach them, but they're lost somewhere in the swimming pool full of money this has likely generated for them.
    hahaha yeah

Others have said it's on par with Elegon.

Hollywood Reporter Review

What follows is a monotonous and fairly predictable series of jaunts from one town to the next, from one encounter with threatening strangers to the next, from one contrived separation of the group’s members to the next. I never felt like I was watching an unfolding story, but I absolutely felt like I was watching the whiteboard in a writers room, more the pushing of note cards toward a destination than an adventure.

------

That last bit hits hard. Because the story isn’t the destination. The story is the path taken to the destination.
    Wow that review is brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    So, is this show any good? I have not read the books and I have no idea about the universe.

The first season of Witcher, while entertaining, pretty much had no story.

How is Wheel of Time in comparison? Is this more like the Witcher or more like Game of Thrones in world building and stuff? I'm a sucker for "fantasy" shows, but there hasn't really been a great one since... Game of Thrones most likely.
    Wheel of Time is considered one of the best written series of the fantasy genre a lot of the stuff that now considered tropes came from it. This show isn't Wheel of Time.

- - - Updated - - -

Check the casting notice where one of the mains actors acted before a tour de force in power rangers then run far far far away

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Beloren View Post
    If you are backing on it being exactly like the book, you'd be very disapopinted. Enough creative liberties taken to annoy any who wanted things just like the book.

if you canwrap your head round that this is an alternate version, it's a nice show that shows a visualisation of your favourite places in the story while loosely telling a similar tale, but one that roughly follows the same plot.

On it's own, it is good, but knowing what the book is like, it will disappoint - not that it isn't good, it's just the same level.
    Weird the images in my head never had such awful color grading or ren faire level costuming. It is that it isn't good.

[i]Lan hesitated, then spoke in a loud voice. "Why do we mourn?"

The soldiers nearby turned toward him.

"Is this not what we have trained for?" Lan shouted. "Is this not our purpose, our very lives? This war is not a thing to mourn. Other men may have been lax, but we have not been. We are prepared, and so this is a time of glory."

"Let their be laughter! Let there be joy! Let us cheer the fallen and drink to our forefathers, who taught us well. If you die on the morrow, awaiting your rebirth, be proud. The Last Battle is upon us, and we are ready!"[/i]

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Showing the rings in no way proves how they were obtained.
    Because a Whitecloak, of all people, is going to just randomly stumble across a bunch of White Tower Aes Sedai rings. You know, just found them for sale at a street corner market.

I mean, think about it for a couple of seconds, eh? These rings are only given as the mark of a fully trained tower sister. They are the literal equivalent of both military Dog Tags for a Special Forces Unit crossed with an Ambassador's Credentials. Wave an Aes Sedai tower ring infront of any political flunky in most countries and you instantly open a boatload of doors that other people would never even get a chance to see. The Tower would probably have very strict policies about retrieving lost rings, and god help anyone who was found attempting to counterfit one.

There is zero chance a Whitecloak Inquisitor just happens to be wandering around with a personal trophy collection of these things unless he took them off an actual Sister's corpse. There is also zero chance someone like Valda is going to show off a bunch of fakes just to try to make himself look good.

So yea, if Valda is showing off rings, there is basically only one likely conclusion as to how he ended up with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    So yea, if Valda is showing off rings, there is basically only one likely conclusion as to how he ended up with them.
    I would've gone with the idea that he made them himself, to show his...flock of followers that though the Light can be a harsh judge, it is a power greater than the witches. And the Children of the Light are its chosen instruments as these rings prove.

Far better and easier...

I would've gone with the idea that he made them himself, to show his...flock of followers that though the Light can be a harsh judge, it is a power greater than the witches. And the Children of the Light are its chosen instruments as these rings prove.

Far better and easier...
    I guess? It is a weird direction to take them. The children of the light are not really an evil force. Antagonistic and manipulated yes, but overall outside of notable exceptions they mostly fight dark friends and trollocs.

15+ Year Old Account
    I would've gone with the idea that he made them himself, to show his...flock of followers that though the Light can be a harsh judge, it is a power greater than the witches. And the Children of the Light are its chosen instruments as these rings prove. Far better and easier...
    Forgeries would fit the general theme of the Children of the Light but we are shown him taking a ring from a sister on screen. So it is a bit silly to even question the source. Even the books implies they will hurt/harm sisters though usually target "trainees" who can't fully channel yet. It has been a while since I read/listened to the books but that is what I seem to recall. So a full fledged sister caught without a warder isn't out of the question.

It is more the proximity to the white tower that is stickler for me. Them that close would have some warders or town guard at least "watching" them. Even more so if they are questioners.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2021-12-07 at 02:27 AM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

There is a scene in the third book, I think, where Egwene is coming home from being freed at Falme when a bunch of Whitecloaks come across them near to Tar Valon and Egwene unleashes on them, only to be told off by Verin because the Whitecloaks wouldn't actually try anything, not that close to Tar Valon at least.

Ymmv, but what I will say for me personally the pacing is awful and the narrative suffers for it. They have done a cursory amount of worldbuilding and make some strange choices on what has been included so far. The series starts rocky and wastes energy on a unnecessary mystery but quality and production wise each episode is a bit better than the previous. Give it a shot but I’d get past the 4th before making a decision.

I am honestly kind of curious as to how much worse the showrunners can fuck the series up at this point.

Like, they have already deviated so far from the source material it's crazy, and they aren't even done the first book yet..... Seriously, it's like they saw the last season of GoT as a high bar when it came to "adaptation" and went "hold my beer, I bet I can go even lower".

Like, hell, the original events of the first book went:
    Two Rivers Attack -> Escape -> Stop in Baerlon where they meet Min -> Flee to Shadar Logoth -> Flee Shadar Logoth, get separated -> White Bridge -> Caemlyn (where a MASSIVE Amount of shit happens and important characters are introduced) -> Flee Caemlyn through the Ways to Borderlands -> Shinear -> The Eye

The tv series has basically Skipped Baerlon entirely, severely downplayed Shadar Logoth, skipped Caemlyn entirely and fast tracked them directly to the White Tower, which shouldn't even be introduced until AFTER The Eye is found and the Horn / Seal retrieved.

Introducing the White Tower so early is nuts. Like, where do you go from there? Are they going to try to actually start story lines from the second book by splitting the group up and kicking off the Falme plotline without even having found the Eye yet?
    Last edited by Surfd; 2021-12-07 at 11:47 AM.

Some season 2 castings have been announced, and bloody flaming ashes does Uno look like flaming Uno.

Excite.

Quote Originally Posted by Nynax View Post
    This seems to be the big thing to take home. Stop looking to the books for any expectation or understanding of the show. Stop hoping the show is any kind of direct translation of the books. All you'll find is some matching names, a few matching plot points, but it seems like it's mostly going to be its own story.
    Except it is a terrible story. These people can't write a story if their life depended on it. Imagine the story from perspective of a non-reader. It looks pathetic. No wonder early reviews were so bad. Rewrite all you want if you can do better! Except half the story makes little sense. And worse, show is directed poorly. Pacing is off, acting is sub par, set designs and cloth are so LARP! Never-mind the "politically" correct casting choices. If story was the only issue, we could have gotten a Witcher. That show has awful story and yet episodes were fun.

This fails at every level.