So Egwene becoming the leader of the arguably most powerful organization in the world and then sacrificing her life in the battle against the literal devil isn't "powerful female character" enough for them, is it?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Pushing the idea that Egwene might be The Dragon Reborn won't end well. The purists will point out that it is too much a deviation from the books while the perpetually outraged who have never read the books and doubtfully care enough to watch the show will complain that the male was chosen over the female to be the hero again. You can already see the headlines on that one.
    Canonicity is more important than what a bunch of rainbow haired mongoloids on Twitter think. Make the show faithful to the source material or don't waste people's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    The whole Egwene being a possible dragon would be a hilarious.

Essentially it'd be people trying to make an already female dominated world even more female.

Oh I so look forward to seeing how this show portrays the contest of power between all the major female entities.
    The hilarious thing is that people that have read the books thinks this is a possibility.
    It is for the people that have not read the series and dont know what or who is what! To keep the uncertainty as long as possible.

I mean if she would be the Dragon then it would upend so much in the whole series that it would have to be a completely new script/story.

Quote Originally Posted by Smallfruitbat View Post
    I don't know if I misheard it or not, but on the latest Moiraine 'teaser' she referred to the Dragon Reborn as 'they' and the images that followed were of Mat, Rand, Perrin and Egwene as if any one of them could be the Dragon Reborn. I'm not OK with this. It was clear that the Dragon was male, it was a major plot point that the Dragon Reborn was male and that male channelers go mad. Egwene had her own destiny, I sincerely hope they aren't going down the road that she might be the 'chosen one' too.
    Them/they has always be used in english for not just the recent stuff. It was/is a word quite often used for someone not specific or someone you don't know beyond that they exist in some form. True there is no gender conotation. But i also doesn't say it could be female. It is just a more grand speak. Like fantasy tends to do. This is making a problem out of nothing tbh.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Canonicity is more important than what a bunch of rainbow haired mongoloids on Twitter think. Make the show faithful to the source material or don't waste people's time.
    Not possible. The books play out over 3 years. How long do you think the series would take to make for all the books? Actors are going to be sooooo old at the end if it even gets finished. They have to change a lot to fit into a tv format. Like.... a LOT!

And i am fine with it. Better than nothing.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    Them/they has always be used in english for not just the recent stuff. It was/is a word quite often used for someone not specific or someone you don't know beyond that they exist in some form. True there is no gender conotation. But i also doesn't say it could be female. It is just a more grand speak. Like fantasy tends to do. This is making a problem out of nothing tbh.

- - - Updated - - -

Not possible. The books play out over 3 years. How long do you think the series would take to make for all the books? Actors are going to be sooooo old at the end if it even gets finished. They have to change a lot to fit into a tv format. Like.... a LOT!

And i am fine with it. Better than nothing.
    Length has fuck all to do with being faithful to the story, you blithering fool. You can be faithful to the story without ruining it, while cutting out a lot of the filler that permeated the books. And by faithful I mean not race and gender bending characters unnecessarily or changing the story just for some woke brownie points with people who won't even watch the series and have never read the books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Length has fuck all to do with being faithful to the story, you blithering fool. You can be faithful to the story without ruining it, while cutting out a lot of the filler that permeated the books. And by faithful I mean not race and gender bending characters unnecessarily or changing the story just for some woke brownie points with people who won't even watch the series and have never read the books.
    Meh. idgaf about what race someone is. Riverfolk has been described as darker skinned in the book. Maybe not black. But this does not take anything away from me. I think you will not have with any new tvshow from america or britain.. or france... or israel... in the next lets say... forever or until something like the third reich comes again.

But i guess you can have fun in the forums and insult people there to your hearts content.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deianeira View Post
    The hilarious thing is that people that have read the books thinks this is a possibility.
    It is for the people that have not read the series and dont know what or who is what! To keep the uncertainty as long as possible.

I mean if she would be the Dragon then it would upend so much in the whole series that it would have to be a completely new script/story.
    It's been a few years now that I've read the books, but who the Dragon is, isn't a mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    It's been a few years now that I've read the books, but who the Dragon is, isn't a mystery.
    I don't think Jordan thought stretching it out was logical. I mean the characters and their respective inner thoughts were clear. And you could've figured it out by the half of the first book. And by the end of that first book it was obvious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I don't think Jordan thought stretching it out was logical. I mean the characters and their respective inner thoughts were clear. And you could've figured it out by the half of the first book. And by the end of that first book it was obvious.
    I mean, even in-story. It's clear to others that Rand is the Dragon. If memory doesn't fail me, there's the usual fake dragons plotlines, but eventually Rand takes center stage

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    Todays trailer

The Wheel of Time - Main Trailer 360 Experience | Prime Video

Quote Originally Posted by Smallfruitbat View Post
    Not loving the Whitecloaks look. Jordan was pretty picky about details, which the costume designers seem to have glossed over entirely in this case. They look pretty, instead of a formidable, imposing fighting force.
    The entire production has been about ignoring the details Jordan prized himself on not sure why people thought the white cloaks would be different.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deianeira View Post
    I think that the focus on Moraine is because in the first cpl books she has a lot of place. Further i think it will change more and more and focus on the other people(Rand, Mat, Perrin and Egwene and Nynaeve) and other aswell that becomes more prominent in later books.
    It's very obvious who the dragon is the instant you learn about the after effects of channeling for the first time and connect the character who had those after effects with when a certain horse got a second wind. Something else I'm sure they will mess up.

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    It's very obvious who the dragon is the instant you learn about the after effects of channeling for the first time and connect the character who had those after effects with when a certain horse got a second wind. Something else I'm sure they will mess up.
    that and the fact that in the first book the narration is almost always from his point of view in any scene he's present for and only from the other characters when they split up

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    People love to be negative. I say wait until it is actually out before doomsaying. And if does end up being terrible, meh. The books still exists.

Also, the He-man adaptation was Netflix. And I only need one try to guess why the man-children didn't like the new He-Man...
    I love how people wanting a faithful reboot are considered man children for daring to think something that has basically nothing to do with the original isn't good. It's great ... seriously just advertise it as something else if the main character people want to watch dies twice maybe don't advertise it as a continuation of that character's story. I'll happily watch a Teela centric story really that's what the old She-Ra largely did the new one I'm not going to talk about. Campy is fun nostalgia is fun starting campy and nostalgic then stabbing you in the back isn't fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
    Todays trailer

The Wheel of Time - Main Trailer 360 Experience | Prime Video

Well, that trailer confirms that they're throwing the girls in as Dragon Reborn candidates, not just Egwene but Nynaeve too. Really skeptical about how this is going to go if they change something pretty central to the story trajectory. I'll wait and see how much else they change or end up fucking up trying to cater to today's audience.

I'll go along for the ride, but I'm honestly not that hopeful this will be faithful to the books. It might still be a good show, as my wife said she's interested in it and knows nothing about the book series and may enjoy it for what it is, but if it strays too far from the source material I'm going to have a hard time enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    That was a woman?
    ...nevermind. I expected something near the mark but...appearances are too far off. The only one not too off is Rand. And I wasn't expecting them to find anyone near 6 and a half feet tall so I can roll with that since he has the much mentioned "pretty face.".

Zero expectations with the script.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmf...the only "cage" I recall being prominent is the one holding an aiel...(Gaul)
    Logain probably but yeah they look like cosplay stills in a very bad way.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Its here....!!! Hype!

Wow that actually looks terrible like wow that looks terrible. Campy way overdone sequences on channeling that should be instant and still don't show the weaves doesn't look like Moraine in the slightest wtf was with the shoving off a cliff bs.

Well this looks like shit. Boring generic fantasy fare with some pretty puzzling storyline changes apparently. Nothing looks like it really comes together naturally, everything seems tacked on and artificial from the monsters to the SFX to the costumes.

I'll give it a shot because I have Prime anyway for other reasons, but this is not making me hopeful for a good watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    I'd probably watch it if it wasn't on Amazon, but Bezos isn't getting my money.

Visually, it is very reminiscent of Lord of the Rings. Someone with no knowledge of it could easily mistake it as being somehow related to LotR.

Looks like it is in part being GoTed. Rand and Egwene getting naked together? Nynaeve would have thumped them to within an inch of their lives if they'd even thought of doing that. The Two Rivers was really very conservative in that regards.

Not sure what the coloured water was about. Possibly Accepted training?

Mat and Perrin starting with beards is a bit of a minor quibble.

Not a sign of Loial yet, or Thom either, which is odd, given how prominent they should be in the first book.
    Plus one of the plot threads was that they loved each other but were not for eachother them getting together in the nude doesn't really sell that at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Well, they don't have to describe fucking Whitebridge every time a new group hits the city. That'll save some time.
    Of course even with all that description it's going to look nothing like it was described. I wonder how they fuck up heartstone maybe have a constant vibration oh or an electric current so you can tell it's special oh I know an ominous hum when near it.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Yea the books were already very socially charged, and they kind of lean away from Rand to the female characters the more the books go on, I don't see it being a good decision to make this change if it is true. I hope it isn't.. it would be stupid and would really change the structure of the concept.

I have already been very sceptical about the show, I am not worried too much about it being a bad adaptation because the best adaption has already been played out in my head when I read all the books
    Exactly.. well pointed out. one of the fascinating things about it was it's female dominance, but you never felt that males were nothing either.

It boggles my mind, why make this change? who are you pandering to that the original tale doesn't already satisfy?
    I didn't know what the dragon reborn was at first, but it seemed a double edge sword, the women had the magic and the wonder and the power

That Egwene could become Aes sedai when you discovered what that was, was very exciting and promising compared to the double edged mystery of the dragon reborn which only one of the males could be. Nevermind they were also all Ta'veren. The ladies had everything and were as good as the males in this world, not to mention the true seat of power. And you know what? I didn't care!!!! that's what' so stupid about the nonsense today, the story was amazing, i enjoyed his dynamic for what it was, and the power women had was part of it, thoroughly enjoyed

totally un-necessary.. unless it's just a teaser scam.

Anyone who loved the books should be completely off the wagon after them trying to push the girls could be the dragon. The entire reason the dragon is terrifying is because the male half of the source is tainted anyone using it will go mad. Having the strongest channeler outside the dark one being reincarnated is terrifying because he will go mad also because last time he broke the world in his grief. Give me back that campy 20 min pilot that premiered on a random midnight over this crap. Rafe needs to be fired into a volcano and the show should completely go back to the drawing board along with canning the entire cast outside maybe Rand.

It says a lot bad when the Netflix adapt of Cowboy Bebop legitimately seems more faithful so far.
    Last edited by Xath; 2021-10-27 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Anyone who loved the books should be completely off the wagon after them trying to push the girls could be the dragon. The entire reason the dragon is terrifying is because the male half of the source is tainted anyone using it will go mad. Having the strongest channeler outside the dark one being reincarnated is terrifying because he will go mad also because last time he broke the world in his grief.
    That's the stupid thing about it, yeah. It makes ZERO SENSE to look for a female Dragon, that doesn't work almost by definition. The whole reason the Aes Sedai are looking for potential Dragons is because they tend to go insane, and they only go insane BECAUSE THEY'RE MEN. If you change that, you might as well get rid of the entire concept of Saidin and Saidar and then the entire story falls to pieces.

This is one of the single most inane continuity changes I have ever seen.