Tam’s sword was Herron marked, they expressly showed it to be so

I expected very little and got even less... I find it mildly amusing when the main characters got the number of Ta'veren wrong consistently swapping from 3 to 4 depending on the episode.

I listened to the audio books a few months prior and to be honest I struggled to identify what character was what... the show does nothing to introduce them or explain what their roles are in this world.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    excuse me, I just puked in my mouth a little.

I am so.

tired

of every

fantasy

series

adaptation

being compared

to game of thrones.
    FFS

that said.. full disclosure. I haven't read the books, but I did go wiki browsing a LOT. overall, I liked the series for what it is, but I know intimately understand how people who haven't read Witcher books must have felt watching the show.

there is a lot that is happening where watchers knowledge of the background just seems to be... assuming. they are trying to practically gallop through world building and character introductions and I'll be honest, I had trouble remembering who what why how, let alone realizing what was foreshadowing and what was just nifty little details without supplementary reading.

it seems to me like series created by fans, for fans. which is not inherently a bad thing. and its nice to have another fantasy series that is not trying to distance itself from being fantasy, and instead leans into it.
    They actively rewrote a lot of characters and factions. Having read the books really doesn't give you much of an edge. Everyone is acting differently. My moment of giving up was when they just rewrote the white cloaks... they were the simplest group to understand and they messed even them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    excuse me, I just puked in my mouth a little.

I am so.

tired

of every

fantasy

series

adaptation

being compared

to game of thrones.
    FFS.
    Blame Bezos for that. He got insanely jealous of GoT's success and wanted his own GoT. The fact the person bankrolling the whole thing said that sort of means the comparison is inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Blame Bezos for that. He got insanely jealous of GoT's success and wanted his own GoT.
    He's not the only one, and who WOULDN'T want a success like that.

Except of course they all think you can just take some of the things they thought were "big sellers" in GoT, slap them on any ol' recognizable title, and manufacture a hit. But blood & boobs alone a good series does not make.

my view on "for fans by fans" was based on reviews by youtubers who at one point specialized in analyzing wheel of time books, not articles in review magazines. and its not Jeff Besos that is comparing the series to GoT in reviews. its every goddam reviewer for various publications whose only exposure to fantasy prior is GoT and possibly LoTR and even then, only because of their adaptations.

they did IMO have done no the best of jobs introducing the characters, at least for someone new to the books, but once I had names attached to faces to wiki articles, it was much easier for me to keep up.

i do realize that they changed some backgrounds and such, but overall, it still follows general plot beats.

(as far as Tam, I got an impression of someone who definitely knew HOW to fight, but was rusty and older)

At $10mil per episode I really don't see this going much further than a 2nd season.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    So far i know the books and series have their differences and if you want to go into detail about that series you will have to find another thread and person to be honest.
    Staying true to the books do not make a series better due to it, neither does it make it worse. It does allow for more freedom and better adaptation of the material, so long the big lines remain the same i see no harm done.

So yes i stand by my point that not using the hardcore fans of a franchise as the benchmark for your adaptation being it a movie, series or game is a good move. I do not feel the fans are entitled to anything, and i find that sense of entitlement to be really misplaced however the internet is full of armchair experts so it is to be expected
    Agreed, but question is does the series do a better job?

In the LotR film, i thought it did for the film medium - you couldn't tell it exactly as the book but the way they did it did it just and it was more enjoyable in the film medium and as such an improvement on the book in that respect,

While in the book medium the original book si still hand down better, if you were to write the films in book format, they would pale in comparison to the actual book.

Shift to the Wheel of Time, this adaptation could have been really good and better than the book , but it isn't in my opinion.

It is still enjoyable a watch for me anyway, but I feel the book had so many little treasures that the changes actually have removed. it really isn't as charming to me as the book was...but it' stylish and ahs it's own pace.

5+ Year Old Account
    There is no explanation at all in the show so far as to WHY the world got broken in the first place... The one power doesn't even seem to be split in a male and female stream (so far at least, have seen the first 3 episodes) If they are skipping that though, why do men even go mad when they use it? Just because? This makes no sense whatsoever!

edit: I do have read the books and while I understand an series adaptation has to change some things because it is another medium the above is rather key to the world that RJ built.
    Last edited by Mazza; 2021-11-22 at 12:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Adaptations are adaptations. Those who only view it as it being a direct translation will keep that wheel of ignorance turning.

It's never going to be like the book, no matter how hard they try. At best you could have is a glorified audiobook with real actors portraying the characters, but that's it.
    It could be a lot more similar to the books and then it wouldn't have fans checking out in droves it doesn't sound like their changes are making it popular with mainstream either judging by critic reviews.

Just watched the first episode;

The acting is terrible... and for a small 'hidden' village they sure threw in as many ethnic representations as they could, especially in that scene when the girl was undergoing a ritual at the river... lol. Granted I've never read the novels though.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2021-11-22 at 04:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Adaptations are adaptations. Those who only view it as it being a direct translation will keep that wheel of ignorance turning.

It's never going to be like the book, no matter how hard they try. At best you could have is a glorified audiobook with real actors portraying the characters, but that's it.
    Again, you are completely ignoring the successful adaptations with this argument. Some changes in pacing etc need to be done, but if you don't respect the source material, which was written by someone infinitely more talented than whoever does the tinkering, you're going to have a bad time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    After finishing the first few episodes my option comes down to being an fine fantasy show but not a very good wheel of time show so far.

I’ll likely keep watching it as it goes along if for no other reason to talk with my friends about the needless changes which mostly subtract from what wheel of time was.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Again, you are completely ignoring the successful adaptations with this argument. Some changes in pacing etc need to be done, but if you don't respect the source material, which was written by someone infinitely more talented than whoever does the tinkering, you're going to have a bad time.
    Successful tv adaptations are few and far between. If we were to use that as a gauge then literally we circle back to every review comparing this to GoT and LoTR and brushing this off as another failed fantasy series. That's pretty much all that needs to be said.

The show has some pretty big pacing and world/character building issues, and that's probably the biggest factor against it, over all the coherency issues to the book.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2021-11-22 at 05:46 AM.

Bloodsail Admiral Smallfruitbat's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I wanted this to do well. I wanted my friends who watch it to have the same enjoyment as I did reading the books. Episode 1 looked like just another fantasy series with a big set piece at the end. I think that is going to put a lot of people off. Introducing the wolves without Elyas made it look to me that they were trying to rip off Game of Thrones (and I know why they are there).

The real elephant in the room is the tone. The first 3 scenes of episode one (and beyond) can be summed up as 'men bad, women good.' The hatchet job they did on Abel Cauthons character was unnecessary, for those who didn't read the books he was a real pillar of the community. An overarching theme in the series is that men and women have different strengths and abilities and need to work together in order to get stuff done. Overall, aging up the characters and then putting in back stories is a misfire in my opinion. Having them act selfish etc. worked in the book because they were little more than kids from a remote village who had lived a pretty idyllic life. I hope it's just jitters from the beginning of the series and they explain some of the big concepts but I have very little faith at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    After finishing the first few episodes my option comes down to being an fine fantasy show but not a very good wheel of time show so far.

I’ll likely keep watching it as it goes along if for no other reason to talk with my friends about the needless changes which mostly subtract from what wheel of time was.
    I'll agree with this. Good description.

If you've read the book, you feel the show could be a lot better, however as an unknown, the show is pretty decent. AT least it wasn't garbage like Sword of Truth..

But book adaptations do a lot better when they are closer to the originals - at least the very popular ones do.

What I expected of the first episode: "Light, forgive me! Ilyena!"

What I got: Perrin killing his non-existent first wife.

If I were going to do a series of this I would probably do the prologue first.

Then A new spring. It would be a short series probably 5 episodes or even a movie length intro. I’d then do…

Season 2 will actually be Eye of the world and be a full on 23 episode long season

The book is written like a film. The suspense and build up always have action. And there is enough mystery to keep you watching to discover more.

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    Mostly true. This was a major point that gets turned sideways for a later plot twist because the dark one does as they please and some MAJOR villains are brought back rule63'd for a major surprise as a female wielding Saidin turns more than a few through a loop.
    Nope. The original point still stands. Souls are gendered in WoT, so it's basically unnatural for someone to be "reborn" incorrectly. What the Dark one did was wholly unnatural (which was the entire point, and why it worked so well as a fakeout), but it also wasn't "reincarnation". The Dark One literally OWNS the souls of the forsaken, so when he messed with dead ones, it was basically him seizing their soul, not allowing them to be "reborn" but instead forcefully jamming their soul into an available vessel.

Bloodsail Admiral Smallfruitbat's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    Mostly true. This was a major point that gets turned sideways for a later plot twist because the dark one does as they please and some MAJOR villains are brought back rule63'd for a major surprise as a female wielding Saidin turns more than a few through a loop.
    It's done as a punishment just like when Graendhal is turned ugly