Lan.... *shakes head*

Book-Lan is a guy that'll take on two fades at once and pity the fades....a war veteran that can be relied on to save the day.

Show-Lan is a guy that'll cut himself shaving for sympathy. A regular joe... Certainly not someone that can countermand a king, let alone inspire and lead an army.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    There's a road in, but no road out.
    that's not how roads work lol

- - - Updated - - -

I already explained why the skin tones bother me
    try re-reading the books and not cognitive bias-ing a bunch of white people over the actual descriptions and you might be less bothered

How is the acting and dialogue in the show? The show does good by the books ?
    I was majorly let down by Foundation, even more so after I saw Dune movie and thought how amazing Foundation could have been if they kept the quality of acting and dialogue good. The emperors was amazing, and you feel like you wanna fastforward eveyrthing else.

I don't really care about skin tones, although it can mess up immersion if they do it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by cface View Post
    I was majorly let down by Foundation, even more so after I saw Dune movie and thought how amazing Foundation could have been if they kept the quality of acting and dialogue good. The emperors was amazing, and you feel like you wanna fastforward eveyrthing else.

I don't really care about skin tones, although it can mess up immersion if they do it wrong.
    Watch the first four episodes, if you're not hooked by then then I wouldn't worry.
    I think it's very good along pretty much every axis, but there's definitely some funky pacing but all the important story beats are being hit.

Well Foundation deterred from the books because there wasn't actual material to make accurate book adaptations so they improvised alot. Wot has shit ton of material but the show decided to deter from the books alot. Missing people and different events happening in different places. First season is supposed to be the first books but they never visit Baerlon or Caemlyn. Shadar Logoth doesn't have Mordeth. Other than that, its just your regular fantasy show.

Quote Originally Posted by Kharadin View Post

- - - Updated - - -

try re-reading the books and not cognitive bias-ing a bunch of white people over the actual descriptions and you might be less bothered
    Try reading Jordan's casting list and not cognitive biasing a slice of Times Square over it. We are talking about a town so isolated they haven't seen a tax collector in generations.

- - - Updated - - -

Sub Eragon level of faithfulness to the book and medicore acting.

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Try reading Jordan's casting list and not cognitive biasing a slice of Times Square over it. We are talking about a town so isolated they haven't seen a tax collector in generations.
    Try reading the books and realising RJ's casting list wasn't true to the physical descriptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Same

I'm re-listening to the audio books now while at work so that's nice at least. Thankfully I have the old recordings on audible not the "new one"
    What's the difference between the two? And where can you get hold of the "old" one?

Is the audio book any good?

If "Foundation" was a big disappointment then you really don't want any of this...fan fiction.
    Almost no one is as they are in the books. And entire sequences in the book aren't shown. Aes Sedai are helpless against the White Cloaks, Lan isn't the aloof, stoic "Dai'Shan" that epitomizes the warrior and warder role. He's an over-emotional idiot that barely knows how to use a sword, or so it seems. Nynaeve becomes a super healer, aoe healing dozens of serious wounds without touching anyone...and Moiraine isn't as attached to her charges as she leaves the 4 people she thinks is the Dragon to go to some minor character's funeral...(that's not in the books..something you need to get used to; added useless scenes.) Oh, and the four people mentioned? The 4th is Egwene. Apparently Moiraine doesn't know Gitara's Foretelling, neither gender or age, because the much older Logain is a 5th prospect in her eyes.

Rafe says this is a different turning of the Wheel; that he wasn't following the books. I'd say some if the viewership is watching as a train wreck and can't seem to look away. After these first season (8 episodes) I wouldn't be surprised if that part of the viewership up and drops it.

Oookay, so let me use better words to say what I mean. There's one road to Two Rivers, it has no outlet. Meaning, it goes to Two Rivers. And stops there. Obviously I'm not saying you can't go back out the way you came in. I'm saying there's no other way out. There's no "through traffic". The road to Two Rivers is a dead end road. I choose my original words poorly, hopefully this helps. Let me know if you need any more examples of how the road that goes to Two Rivers works.

It means there's no commerce traffic. There's no through traffic. Nobody is stopping by Two Rivers on their way to somewhere else. Two Rivers is literally a dead end, and you would only make the very long voyage if you had specific business in Two Rivers, which almost never happens.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

Oookay, so let me use better words to say what I mean. There's one road to Two Rivers, it has no outlet. Meaning, it goes to Two Rivers. And stops there. Obviously I'm not saying you can't go back out the way you came in. I'm saying there's no other way out. There's no "through traffic". The road to Two Rivers is a dead end road. I choose my original words poorly, hopefully this helps. Let me know if you need any more examples of how the road that goes to Two Rivers works.

It means there's no commerce traffic. There's no through traffic. Nobody is stopping by Two Rivers on their way to somewhere else. Two Rivers is literally a dead end, and you would only make the very long voyage if you had specific business in Two Rivers, which almost never happens.
    Those were better words, good job.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Apparently Moiraine doesn't know Gitara's Foretelling, neither gender or age, because the much older Logain is a 5th prospect in her eyes.
    Or Gitara's foretelling is different in the TV show.

What are you talking about "white people". I hope you aren't trying to make a racist statement...I'm just not sure what that means. If you watch Episode 5 even Loial backs up my point. Loial knows Rand originates from the Aiel Waste, because of his hair, not Two Rivers. That's the whole point I'm making. You can't tell where someone is from based on their "hair" if most places aren't almost completely homogenous...as would be expected in a middle-ages era setting where it can take days to travel to the next town and weeks to find the next city.

My point all along is that the people of Two Rivers (except Rand) should have been darker skinned, like Egwene, Nynaeve, or Perrin (but they have to pick one, because even though their skin tone is closer to matching, they are still ethnically diverse). So again, I'm not sure what your "white people" comment means. If the natives of Two Rivers have darker skin, that's how Rand stands out more and folks are curious or suspicious when he says he comes from Two Rivers. Nobody is questioning Rand being from Two Rivers if Two Rivers is a sampling of America's diversity, and it makes Loial kind of an idiot for his assumption.

Loial: Ahh, your physical attributes tells me you are Aiel.
    2021 woke audience (who don't understand how pre-modern travel works): Stop being racist Loial!! You can't assume Rand's heritage!!!

Diversity for the Aes Sedai and the Children of the Light makes sense. Lan and Moiraine being diverse makes sense, since they aren't from the same region. Having a tiny town which has next to no visitors ever being ethnically diverse, makes no sense.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

What are you talking about "white people". I hope you aren't trying to make a racist statement...I'm just not sure what that means. If you watch Episode 5 even Loial backs up my point. Loial knows Rand originates from the Aiel Waste, because of his hair, not Two Rivers. That's the whole point I'm making. You can't tell where someone is from based on their "hair" if most places aren't almost completely homogenous...as would be expected in a middle-ages era setting where it can take days to travel to the next town and weeks to find the next city.

My point all along is that the people of Two Rivers (except Rand) should have been darker skinned, like Egwene, Nynaeve, or Perrin (but they have to pick one, because even though their skin tone is closer to matching, they are still ethnically diverse). So again, I'm not sure what your "white people" comment means. If the natives of Two Rivers have darker skin, that's how Rand stands out more and folks are curious or suspicious when he says he comes from Two Rivers. Nobody is questioning Rand being from Two Rivers if Two Rivers is a sampling of America's diversity, and it makes Loial kind of an idiot for his assumption.

Loial: Ahh, your physical attributes tells me you are Aiel.
    2021 woke audience (who don't understand how pre-modern travel works): Stop being racist Loial!! You can't assume Rand's heritage!!!

Diversity for the Aes Sedai and the Children of the Light makes sense. Lan and Moiraine being diverse makes sense, since they aren't from the same region. Having a tiny town which has next to no visitors ever being ethnically diverse, makes no sense.
    Of course it doesn’t make sense but that’s just how things are now in casting, it doesn’t really matter.

What’s more important is how the whole thing is off the rails. This week there’s this character called “Lan” who doesn’t seem to match anyone in the book.

snip
    White people means people with lighter skin, typically hailing from the US or european countries, alternatively you could use the term caucasians.

The Aiel being physically homogeneous doesn't necessitate every other geographic location being equally homogeneous. Just because you can tell by eye that Rand has Aiel heritage doesn't mean you could do the same for someone from the Two Rivers, and even in the books they typically refer to the accent in combination with physical traits (those traits usually being a farmers tan, rather than anything inhereted), suggesting that their "look" isn't sufficient in itself for placing them.

I'm not really sure what the "woke audience" comment is supposed to be, unless there's been some weird outcry about Aiel physical homogeneity that I haven't seen?

Quote Originally Posted by Mazza View Post
    Odd. I felt this episode was terrible, potentially even the weakest of all of them. The people running this show are making some really daft choices on what they are using their very limited screentime (8 episodes for EotW is damn short) for when it comes to progressing the story. Some might disagree, but the ENTIRE bit of the widowed warder is in there to attempt get some easy feels from the audience but to the story IT IS IRRELEVANT.Things mattering in this episode: Egwene and Perryn with the children of the light and basically everybody making it to Tar Valon, Rhand meeting an Ogier and reuniting with Nynaeve, that's it. Half of this episode is fluff that does not belong in a show that only has a very limited time to tell it's story. As a result, the actual story elements feel rushed as hell. IMO, this is the weakest episode so far.
    Agreed. I have no idea where they're going here.

wait, hang on. Morraine literally talks to Lan in private about how Logain is 10 years too old, but is pretty powerful, but given her conversation with him when he breaks out - I don't beleive she ever beleived that he was the dragon.

and speaking of Lan's reaction. he came across to me as an incredibly stoic man who simply hit the breaking point. EVERYONE has a breaking point.

P.S. the warder and the Aes Sedai that died were in the books and also died. they just died off screen. show chose to have them show up, IMO to emphasize what the bond actualy is like, as well as to humanize both Aes Sedai and the warders.
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2021-12-04 at 04:49 PM.

White people means people with lighter skin, typically hailing from the US or european countries, alternatively you could use the term caucasians.
    OK, so now it's my turn to lol you and ask you to use better words. I obviously know "white people" are of European descent. I didn't ask you "what are white people". I said I didn't know what your statement regarding white people meant.

I'm not really sure what the "woke audience" comment is supposed to be, unless there's been some weird outcry about Aiel physical homogeneity that I haven't seen?
    Regarding my "woke audience" comment, that is in reference to the modern day woke culture explaining that assuming or even asking someone's heritage is a microaggression. And microaggressions of course point out implicit bias, which of course proves systemic racism. Then again, I've heard them say it's impossible to be racist towards white people, so maybe the woke crowd would be fine with assuming Rand's heritage. /shrug.

~ Daryl Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    wait, hang on. Morraine literally talks to Lan in private about how Logain is 10 years too old, but is pretty powerful, but given her conversation with him when he breaks out - I don't beleive she ever beleived that he was the dragon.

and speaking of Lan's reaction. he came across to me as an incredibly stoic man who simply hit the breaking point. EVERYONE has a breaking point.
    But here's the thing: it's season 1 episode 5. He's supposed to be incredibly stoic, and he's broken by the first guy he sees die? How is this guy gonna get through the series?

OK, so now it's my turn to lol you and ask you to use better words. I obviously know "white people" are of European descent. I didn't ask you "what are white people". I said I didn't know what your statement regarding white people meant.
    Typically people taking issue with the casting is correlated with how white they are.

Regarding my "woke audience" comment, that is in reference to the modern day woke culture explaining that assuming or even asking someone's heritage is a microaggression. And microaggressions of course point out implicit bias, which of course proves systemic racism. Then again, I've heard them say it's impossible to be racist towards white people, so maybe the woke crowd would be fine with assuming Rand's heritage. /shrug.
    Well that kinda came out of nowhere. I'm sorry you feel angered by these people.

Quote Originally Posted by Coniferous View Post
    Of course it doesn’t make sense but that’s just how things are now in casting, it doesn’t really matter.
    As I've said before, it's not a big deal to me, just takes me out of the immersion. Kinda of like a high school play won't have accurately cast people to exactly match the story they are playing, but you suspend disbelief, because you know they have a small pool of kids to pick from. I would just expect better from something in national media with the budget this show has. Again, not a big deal, it just pops me out of immersion from time to time. "hmm...how would Egwene and Perrin be from the same middle-ages era town?" I tend to overthink movies when something pops out as unusual or conflicting natural rules of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Coniferous View Post
    What’s more important is how the whole thing is off the rails. This week there’s this character called “Lan” who doesn’t seem to match anyone in the book.
    Lan may not be a direct match, but I have enjoyed his portrayal so far. Don't really have any problems with it.

~ Daryl Davis