Quote Originally Posted by WaltherLeopold View Post
    are you saying that this thread titled the tv the wheel of time is not about the tv show, the wheel of time or what

from what I can see, this thread has 64 pages of people discussing its source material, but very little about the production quality of the show. I haven't read the books, so I can only talk about my experiences with the show.
    So complaining about something and trying to convince others it's bad is the same as discussion?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Dragonmount already has their hands full.. I probably should join in...
    You aren't already?

He might be his best friend in this tepid excuse for an adaptation. But in the books Moiraine is his best friend.
    Before that the closest friends he had were his teachers, the five that survived getting him away from Malkieri and taught him everything, who it can be said were his family. Maybe he cried the first time when one died, and maybe the 2nd time. Eventually he's one man waging a war. He's already accepted death.

Oh wait! We're not talking the books...we're talking this...failed characterization of a character in a book being portrayed in some show.
    Nevermind.
    right. and its looking at MORRAINE is what makes him finaly break down. because as much as it hurt to lose his friend and brother at arms, it would hurt to lose Morraine that much more. reminder, again, his friend took his own life because he lost HIS best friend, HIS Aes Sedai.

Stepin being his close friend, does NOT negate his relationship with Morraine, it underscores and emphasizes it.

its not just death. its guilt. and pain amplified. but wait, I forget in this fucked up society, men are not allowed to show pain. EVER.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    right. and its looking at MORRAINE is what makes him finaly break down. because as much as it hurt to lose his friend and brother at arms, it would hurt to lose Morraine that much more. reminder, again, his friend took his own life because he lost HIS best friend, HIS Aes Sedai.
    I take it you haven't actually read the books right? They were both getting emotional because of the warder bond. What each feels the other feels. A Aei Sedai can dampen that a bit but warders have no such power. It is essentially a feedback loop of the emotions which is why warders try their best not to drink or get overly emotional. It can impact the sister they are bonded with.

The show referenced this a little bit but it is unclear how much of the bond is like in the books and how much has been changed for the show.

its not just death. its guilt. and pain amplified. but wait, I forget in this fucked up society, men are not allowed to show pain. EVER.
    No one is saying men can't show emotions. They are saying that it doesn't fit the character from the books to show it in the way that they did.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2021-12-04 at 07:03 PM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Kharadin View Post
    So complaining about something and trying to convince others it's bad is the same as discussion?
    why are you so adverse to me not liking the production value of this show, that's exactly what this thread is for - good or bad.

and in the books he does lose her. And how did he react then? It wasn't some over-emotional display, which would've insulted her as much as shamed him. He referred to her as a "warrior" as much as he was.

Quote Originally Posted by WaltherLeopold View Post
    why are you so adverse to me not liking the production value of this show, that's exactly what this thread is for - good or bad.
    I'm not, I'm sorry if I communicated that but I'm pretty sure I didn't.

- - - Updated - - -

and in the books he does lose her. And how did he react then? It wasn't some over-emotional display, which would've insulted her as much as shamed him. He referred to her as a "warrior" as much as he was.
    wait, you genuinely believe the warder's response to losing their Aes Sedai isn't emotional? Lan is so torn by guilt and pain that he basically tries to get himself killed despite being compelled to make his way to Alanna and that's a warder whose bond got moved rather than just severed.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    No one is saying men can't show emotions. They are saying that it doesn't fit the character from the books to show it in the way that they did.
    al'Lan Mandragoran
    "To stand against the shadow so long as iron is hard and stone abides. To defend the Malkieri while one drop of blood remains. To avenge what cannot be defended."
    Lord of the Seven Towers, Lord of the Lakes, uncrowned King of Malkier, Dai'shan, Diademed Battle Lord of Malkier, Aan'allein. At age sixteen he was given the hadori and became a man. He began his one man war against the Shadow that he could not win, with the oath graven on his mind. He has nothing left to defend, only to avenge. He will not raise the golden crane to lead other men to their deaths, but will court death himself without a second thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Beloren View Post
    Would it kill actors to sometimes dye their hair or wear coloured lenses to fit the book description?
    Some people can't wear contacts. Maybe this is just how the wheel spun things out this time around. So far WoT has been a good show and I will continue to watch it.

wait, you genuinely believe the warder's response to losing their Aes Sedai isn't emotional? Lan is so torn by guilt and pain that he basically tries to get himself killed despite being compelled to make his way to Alanna and that's a warder whose bond got moved rather than just severed.
    I don't know what book you read but that's...not it.
    Moiraine has a contingency that moves her bond to Myrelle who has had success keeping warders alive after the bond severs. He was never afraid of death. And his only reaction were red eyes and a word of advice to Rand about not falling in love since he knows the he also is courting death.

Ah yes, the bastardization of the novels continues. Why is it so hard for people to follow an already made, massively successful story map to create a tv series/movie? This Lan is a sad shell of the true Lan, I don't watch fantasy to see some John Hancock, I see it to watch slightly to very unrealistic personifications of key human attributes/caricatures, and in this case Lan was a badass stoic warrior. Alas we have to have this in touch with his emotions mediocre warrior that requires rescuing. Think this is the last episode I watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

I don't know what book you read but that's...not it.
    Moiraine has a contingency that moves her bond to Myrelle who has had success keeping warders alive after the bond severs. He was never afraid of death. And his only reaction were red eyes and a word of advice to Rand about not falling in love since he knows the he also is courting death.
    Ah indeed, I mixed up Alanna and Myrelle. I think you may have skimmed over the chapters after he's found to be with Myrelle in Salidar, though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    So far WoT has been a good show and I will continue to watch it.
    A brave man.

Try reading the books and realising RJ's casting list wasn't true to the physical descriptions.
    Yes it was rofl. Dark of hair and eye doesn't mean dark of skin. Again look at every book cover look at RJ's casting notes look at the comics especially new spring which RJ was hugely involved in.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    What's the difference between the two? And where can you get hold of the "old" one?

Is the audio book any good?
    New one is read by Rosemund Pike instead of the duo who does every other audio book. Not sure if you can still get it or not. The audio books at least the ones I have are unabridged so if you consider the series good they are good.

- - - Updated - - -

That's all intentional. Rafe wanted the series to start closer to the ensemble feeling of the POVs the book turns into, rather than having a very Rand-centric first book.
    and Rafe is a terrible writer so why should we care what he wants? Fans of the book want to see Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time not Rafe's fanfiction.

- - - Updated - - -

Dragonmount already has their hands full.. I probably should join in...
    They are already stealth editing posts lol

- - - Updated - - -

Don't forget to keep complaining about it online and trying to convince others of how bad a show you think it is.
    Don't forget to attack those who dare to like the books because you're such a big fan that you don't even know who Lan's bond is passed to rofl

Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    Ah yes, the bastardization of the novels continues. Why is it so hard for people to follow an already made, massively successful story map to create a tv series/movie?
    I suspect the 'writers' are part selfish and part just not that great at writing compelling original fantasy. So instead of making their own story, which no one would watch, they convince someone to give them the rights to their story so the 'writers' can make their own story which is "inspired by" or "based on", at least to the point of using all the proper nouns from the original story, so the 'writer' can get that giant boost of views from fans of the original material.

It's one thing to take untested story material, and focus group it to make changes you think will be popular, but it's funny when they take a tested story that is already very popular, focus group it to make changes, then get surprised when people don't like it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    and Rafe is a terrible writer so why should we care what he wants? Fans of the book want to see Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time not Rafe's fanfiction.
    Just wanted to note this to back up my post above. Fans of RJ's WOT are not coming in droves to get vested into Rafe's fanfic. And if Rafe was a great writer, he wouldn't have to adapt someone else's work to make a popular show.

I get very suspicious of anyone who sees a great and very popular work of art and their first thought is, "If I made that work of art, I would have made it even better!!".

I'm fine with and expect changes that need to be made due to the difference in the medium. I don't mind at all the faster pace of the show as compared to the book. Waaaay too much time in the books is wasted in traveling. "What did they do in Book 8?", "um...they travelled from point c to point d", "what else", "eh, not much else". But what I don't understand or like is when adapters make unnecessary changes just for the sake of making something they want.
    Last edited by Ragedaug; 2021-12-04 at 09:46 PM.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

10+ Year Old Account
    White people means people with lighter skin, typically hailing from the US or european countries, alternatively you could use the term caucasians.
    That's racist.

Also caucasian hasn't been a thing in ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    snip
    Book covers aren't canon lol.

Nah Rafe's pretty good, I'm liking it.

Imagine mixing up two Greens in a book with over a thousand named characters omegalol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    That's racist.

Also caucasian hasn't been a thing in ages.
    I don't think it is, and what do you mean isn't a thing? It's a word with a definition, do you know how words work?

10+ Year Old Account

I don't think it is, and what do you mean isn't a thing? It's a word with a definition, do you know how words work?
    I know how you like to pretend that half of your posts on topic will cover for the other half that's just bait.

Caucasian is an obsolete racial category. For someone who doesn't mind the show's progressive intentions, you sure seem to have a hard time keeping up with the times.

And of course it is. You've just broadely painted two continents worth of people in the same tone.

I know how you like to pretend that half of your posts on topic will cover for the other half that's just bait.

Caucasian is an obsolete racial category. For someone who doesn't mind the show's progressive intentions, you sure seem to have a hard time keeping up with the times.

And of course it is. You've just broadely painted two continents worth of people in the same tone.
    So the US and Europe aren't mostly inhabited by white people? You're very insightful, thank you for your opinions.

10+ Year Old Account
    So the US and Europe aren't mostly inhabited by white people? You're very insightful, thank you for your opinions.
    White people means people with lighter skin, typically hailing from the US or european countries.

Which shade of white would that be?

White people means people with lighter skin, typically hailing from the US or european countries.

Which shade of white would that be?
    Oh, so it's the lack of specificity that's racist? Interesting. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, so it's the lack of specificity that's racist? Interesting. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings.
    It's alright, I'm equally sorry that your bait bucket is running empty.