Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post

I'm actually now only noticing how many tell tale signs Jordan had of
    1. Nyanaeve actually fancying Lan - it's there quite early on - the show gets it right
    2. Rand actually being a channeller - which is subtle in the book and would have worked well in the show.
    a) Rand and the flame and the void is very similar to Moiraine's lesson to Egwene on connecting to the One Power
    b) Rand's incidents with the power in book 1 are subtle, but are characterised similar to how Moiraine tells Nyneve evidence of things that indicate the power is being used.. Rand has similar during the adventure, unexplainable things - his encounter with the Whitecloaks in Baerlon, his antics at the top of the mast on Bayle Domon's ship.
    c) The sicknesses and mood swings that follow power usage.. the incident in Whitebreidge in the inn, Rand is sick and suddenly gets well again
    d) Rand is also able to sense dark taints like people who use the one power can, he feels the taint in Padan Fain in Caemlyn, like Moiraine states she can, he feels the wrongness in he weather change as they approach the blight like Nynaeve does
    e) It is Rand's desperate need that takes them into the Green man's realm, , in the narrative it is Rand that feels he desperately needs to get out of here at all cost, must,the narrative's description is so great.

I never picked these up in the first 3 readings of the story.. but then, I was a child the first time I read it, and a teen/young adult on subsequent readings.
    The biggest "oh lol why didn't I get that?" moment I had on my 2nd re-read was when they're racing out of the Two Rivers and Moiraine says they have to keep up or be left behind. Egwene rides on Bela and is lagging and Rand desperately urges Bela on in his mind.

Then later when Moiraine goes to freshen up the horses through channeling she remarks on how Bela doesn't even need it, she's fresh af. Because Rand channeled to refresh her while they were running away. Book is so full of these little tidbits!

Quote Originally Posted by Coniferous View Post
    Anyone else thinking that they're failing at pacing this thing entirely, too? It's the end of season 1 and Rand is going to face the Dark One. No evidence he knows what he's doing channeling, no seals breaking, just, "oh hey you're the Dragon, let's do this!" How does this lead into season 2? And why did they need to eliminate Shayol Ghul, what a great name that was!
    Ba'alzamon isn't the Dark One. I expect season 1 is going to end just like the book did, not sure what the seals or Shayol Ghul have to do with it really, have you read the books?

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantique View Post
    The biggest "oh lol why didn't I get that?" moment I had on my 2nd re-read was when they're racing out of the Two Rivers and Moiraine says they have to keep up or be left behind. Egwene rides on Bela and is lagging and Rand desperately urges Bela on in his mind.

Then later when Moiraine goes to freshen up the horses through channeling she remarks on how Bela doesn't even need it, she's fresh af. Because Rand channeled to refresh her while they were running away. Book is so full of these little tidbits!
    It was pretty obvious to me the first time because of the channeling sickness he had after and the events of four kings. Which is why I don't get emphasizing the mystery eotw especially is much more about the journey.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not making qualitative remarks in either direction, but making use of viewership numbers as an indication of a show's quality is the equivalent of claiming Shadowlands was a good expansion because it sold 1 million copies, or that Diablo 3 was a great game on account of its sales numbers.

Bloodsail Admiral Smallfruitbat's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    If they are actually requiring two plus viewers to register which seems highly unlikely that could also explain the lower number of other shows that are more solo watches my guess is the boxes are just registered to homes of two plus viewers that doesn't means there are always two plus viewers watching.

- - - Updated - - -

If that's actually true watching the dmount mods try to spin it as good will be hilarious.
    Given what we've been served up so far, the leaks seem plausible. I kind of feel sorry for the Dragonmount crew, the site was practically dead before the show, I guess they were hoping for an influx which they never got.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Flare View Post
    Shockingly hard for people to accept that something they don't like can be popular.

That said, would be interesting to see how many more people are watching the Witcher. I would guess that it's a lot.
    Nonsense. I have seen books that are not fit to wipe your arse sell millions of copies. Even more!

Yes, I am also curious to see how many watched 6/7th episode of WoT. Call me shocked then.

Yes, show is so good! CW quality! CW numbers! Prime has never seen such success!

Carry on! GoT has nothing on this new turning! MWGA!
    Last edited by jdbond; 2021-12-23 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Flare View Post
    Shockingly hard for people to accept that something they don't like can be popular.

That said, would be interesting to see how many more people are watching the Witcher. I would guess that it's a lot.
    Because everyone knows popular means good.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    So spoilers are out there for ep 8. If you'd rather face the fresh horrors Rafe is inflicting first hand then turn away now.

Rand and Moiraine get to the Eye, only to meet Ishy, who they think is the DO. Turns out its a plot to get the Dragon there to try and turn him. Ishy overpowers Moiraine and either shields or stills her - the second is the popular theory. Then Rand uses a sa'angreal Moiraine gave him to melt Ishy.

Meanwhile, back at Tarwin's Gap Rand has no part in it. No giant figure in the sky. Nope. The battle is won by 5 women, including Nyn and Eg, linking up and nuking the trolloc army.

Oh, and Agelmar dies by using Hollywood dumb levels of battle tactics.

And Fain shanks Loial with the cursed dagger and appears to kill him (though given that the actor is filing season 2 it would appear he gets better.) Then Fain steals the Horn of Valere which was stored under Agelmar's throne. No, seriously. They keep such a powerful artefact stored under Agelmar's chair (and he isn't even the Shienaran king) right on the frontline to the blight.

And the Seanchan turn up as the teaser.

Plus more.
    But see, this is "good enough" for some! Now don't be jealous by massive success! People are loving it.

I just wonder what happened to "The Boys"..

Quote Originally Posted by Dancaris View Post
    Wish it will be closed after season 2. Best case - after season 1, but they are already filming it.
    Its so toxic feministic, its so wrong to the source. Every, every male role is bad. Rand is a dick, Perrin - coward and prick, Mat - traitor. Abel - drunkard, Rand dad - the sad sack, Lan is pussy, Agelmar is a dick. Even so - half of male is ripped out, just for female ones. Womans kills the trollock, while man go hiding in shit. Rain the Mahdi? nope, just his wife. Master Luhan? nope, Perrin headcanon wife. Rand winning battle in Tarwin Gasp? nope, females do it. Moraine gives Rand saangreal? what? the fucking what? there were 3 of them and all of it is not available to sisters. But fuck this, its Gendalf style now.
    And atop of that - males fails, when woman wins. Every, fucking, time. And atop of that - good things, that male do in books - in show does by female.
    Not count that great stories about dads beating their children, males that hold much power in this world and other UGLY SHIT THAT ONLY MALES DO. Only good males - are gay males (aka warders of green sisters) or ones that was saved by females from their masculinity
    Total shame - this show, and a world we are living in - if this kind of filming is getting popular.

Glad in my country books is re-publishing once more and I can read it without this toxic modern things (shit ones)
    Wait... she gave him a Sa'angreal? ... arent there only like 3 confirmed male ones? (Callandor, Sakarnen and the Choedan Kal key?)

And only Callandor shows up early in the story (it was at the bottom of the Eye). Then the Choedan Kal key shows up in Rhuidean.... and lastly Sakarnen...

Quote Originally Posted by Fuiking View Post
    Wait... she gave him a Sa'angreal? ... arent there only like 3 confirmed male ones? (Callandor, Sakarnen and the Choedan Kal key?)

And only Callandor shows up early in the story (it was at the bottom of the Eye). Then the Choedan Kal key shows up in Rhuidean.... and lastly Sakarnen...
    Again, you are using book and trying to be logical. In this show, Rafe can pull anything out of his panty as plot demands it. Even DO. They won't even bother to explain how "Siuan" thought DO was weak. What is DO? Because "explanation" doesn't allow Rafe to do pantry tricks. Thats why so much of show is unexplained. And rest is just plot device.

Apparently it was one used earlier by a female as well....

Amazon released some promo stills that showed the Seanchan. Not only do the damanae not appeared to be leashed but they have what look like golden ballgags. And the armour worn doesn't match how RJ described it. When RJ leaves you a thousand pages of detailed descriptions of everything, of course you are going to just toss it and go, nah, what does the author know about these things?

Oh, and the Battle of Tarwin's Gap? Where the Shienar army is involved in a heroic, desperate struggle to hold off the Shadowspawn army until Rand appears in the sky and nukes them? This is how it goes in the show;

Despite having a fortress at the gap they can fight from, Agelmar decides to just abandon it and launch a suicidal frontal charge. Needless to say it ends as expected and he dies.

Then his sister turns up with Eg, Nyn and two other channelers. They link up and nuke the shadowspawn army out of existence, but she burns herself out in the process and dies. And so does Nyn. But Eg then brings her back to life with the one power....

So.... many..... ughs

I was tempted to write something that would be critical of the ideas of what you say e8 will be, but good lord, if that is the case I'm buying a case of beer and watching the last two episodes as a parody/drinking game. Every time they make a major fuck-up that shows they never read the books, take a drink. I expect to finish the case.

Lord, they have entered parody levels..... by the end of the first season.

I don't think I'm even upset at it anymore..... how can you be upset at something so woefully inept. That Amazon spent money on this.... Amazing that they make me think "you know Billy Zane wasn't so bad"

Amazon released some promo stills that showed the Seanchan. Not only do the damanae not appeared to be leashed but they have what look like golden ballgags. And the armour worn doesn't match how RJ described it. When RJ leaves you a thousand pages of detailed descriptions of everything, of course you are going to just toss it and go, nah, what does the author know about these things?

Oh, and the Battle of Tarwin's Gap? Where the Shienar army is involved in a heroic, desperate struggle to hold off the Shadowspawn army until Rand appears in the sky and nukes them? This is how it goes in the show;

Despite having a fortress at the gap they can fight from, Agelmar decides to just abandon it and launch a suicidal frontal charge. Needless to say it ends as expected and he dies.

Then his sister turns up with Eg, Nyn and two other channelers. They link up and nuke the shadowspawn army out of existence, but she burns herself out in the process and dies. And so does Nyn. But Eg then brings her back to life with the one power....
    Great. I wont watch that bullshit then....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantique View Post

Actually, when he does it with Bela... he gets the telltale signs of channeling.. ie: likes his skin is peeled of, his bones turn to ice, that stuff

This is why Rafe and Co didn't ground magic or do any world building. To think people were upset with 'teleportation" in GoT. Rafe is like, If you think this is sub 50 IQ, hold my beer.

As I said, all the fault lies with Jordan's wife to allow this abomination to exist.

Bloodsail Admiral Smallfruitbat's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumble View Post
    So.... many..... ughs

I was tempted to write something that would be critical of the ideas of what you say e8 will be, but good lord, if that is the case I'm buying a case of beer and watching the last two episodes as a parody/drinking game. Every time they make a major fuck-up that shows they never read the books, take a drink. I expect to finish the case.

Lord, they have entered parody levels..... by the end of the first season.

I don't think I'm even upset at it anymore..... how can you be upset at something so woefully inept. That Amazon spent money on this.... Amazing that they make me think "you know Billy Zane wasn't so bad"
    Just watch this guy instead

https://youtu.be/UF5kP0Okep0

Quote Originally Posted by jdbond View Post
    As I said, all the fault lies with Jordan's wife to allow this abomination to exist.
    Ey, don't go blaming Harriet for being old and unable to fend off the might of Amazon's greedy filmproducers. You wanna blame someone, blame the actual people in charge—I can't imagine that Harriet approves of any of this bullcrap, but what can she realistically do?

Then again, Sanderson has said that he is on board with some of the things they're doing... which is an absolute disappointment on his part. I thought so much better of him.

Callandor was in the heart of tear, the horn was the powerful object at the bottom of the eye along with the dragon banner and a now broken seal.
    Last edited by Xath; 2021-12-23 at 05:19 PM.

Rand appeared in the sky in Great Hunt, not in the Eye of the World.

Quote Originally Posted by jdbond View Post
    Nonsense. I have seen books that are not fit to wipe your arse sell millions of copies. Even more!

Yes, I am also curious to see how many watched 6/7th episode of WoT. Call me shocked then.

Yes, show is so good! CW quality! CW numbers! Prime has never seen such success!

Carry on! GoT has nothing on this new turning! MWGA!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorshen View Post
    Because everyone knows popular means good.
    Who said anything about being good or bad? There are just a lot of people who seem unable to accept that it's doing well for Amazon and isn't going to get cancelled unless season 2 really bombs.
    A better way to think about Casual v Hardcore: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...asual-Hardcore

Quote Originally Posted by Corroc View Post
    Rand appeared in the sky in Great Hunt, not in the Eye of the World.
    He appears as a figure wreathed in light in Tarwin's Gap and channels into the trollocs to destroy them. He doesn't appear in the sky in Eye, but that is what people are referring to. He appears before the armies at Tarwin's Gap and they think the Creator has appeared to help them.