15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Everyone like the part where LTT wasn't The Dragon but just another Dragon Reborn, wasn't the Tamyrlin seat (who instead was a woman) and knew about the threat of the taint before hand? The female Tamyrlin was right of course and so LTT gets added to the pile of assassinated book characters.
    Tamyrlin wasn't a seat but a ring worn by the leader in the books. They just took the legend about the origin of Amyrlin name and used it in the age of legends. And to be fair it isn't that big of a deal since at that time in the books there were two rival factions, Latra as the leader of one and Lewis as the leader of the other.

In the books the plan to seal the bore was proposed a few times over the course of the war. So people that understood the power might have known the risks if only one side went. That is not diverging from the books so it is again weird to attack the show over it.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2021-12-24 at 04:20 AM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Are they though? I literally didn't know a fan of the Game of Thrones books in the 90s or early 2000s, when the first books were coming out, besides me.

Except on niche forums, like this one.

If you don't run in exceptionally nerdy circles, this whole genre is absurdly obscure.
    GoT prior to the show had sold about 10 million copies by the end of the show it was estimated to have barely passed WoT around 90 million.

Edit: Looks like even that sub is starting to get pissed if you read the show thread. This was one time I was really hoping the leaks weren't real what a complete joke.
    Last edited by Xath; 2021-12-24 at 03:54 AM.

It's clear the series isn't as good as teh book, not by some distnace, but it is not a bad production either. It's got a lot of good points. It's a different story, lots of modification, that is weaker than the original, but what it does is still good imo.

I may not like some of the changes and substitutions . e.g. Lews Therin isn't Tamrylin? wf? Why change that? Except - you know - ultra feminism
    Some of the changes I'm sure they made because well, we had to cut, and it could go either way, let's ignore the source material and make it women, because this is less controversial to the mad woke crowd.

I'm not going to do a scene by scene review of the last episode. Nothing really to compare it to as so much is changed, you just have to conclude it's a different story.

It's good enough though.. but the book story is a far more magical and better experience. Probably budget restrictions, not being able to show the Eye of the World, or the explanation of it all in the books, the Green man, the two forsaken.

Sadly much of what the series shows though quite cool, makes little sense. A 6/10 for a show that could have been a 10/10 and a game changer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Tamyrlin wasn't a seat but a ring worn by the leader in the books. They just took the legend about the origin of Amyrlin name and used it in the age of legends. And to be fair it isn't that big of a deal since at that time in the books there were two rival factions, Latra as the leader of one and Lewis as the leader of the other.

In the books the plan to seal the bore was proposed a few times over the course of the war. So people that understood the power might have known the risks if only one side went. That is not diverging from the books so it is again weird to attack the show over it.
    He isn't wrong, even though you are also correct in that it isn't that relevant. It does show again the needless changes made for this intersectionalism, ultra feminist bull crap. But it hardly matters this, and only those who read the book would notice how seriously one sided the changes to the book are and how un-necessary they are too.

However, I don't think the show actually is much worse than it is because of it on the one hand, and on the other hand i think it actually ruins a lot. This could have appealed SIGNIFICANTLY to all ages, all genders, all political dispositions and ideologies if it kept tot the source material. But what they did, really only please the far left, and is a mild interest to everyone else, and pisses a few off.

It's lesser because of the changes, but not as much as those who are very angry about the changes make it. As annoyed as some of them are, some of the stuff in the show was quite cool.

I'm relieved Rand at least is the dragon and the dragon isn't split iinto 5 (that was awful to put in, even if it was a red herring.
    The others are revealed as Ta'veren, - while the 3 boys were definitely named Ta'veren, it is possible from the books that Nynaeve and Egwene were also, Moiraine is written to say that while the boys definitely are Ta'veren, it is possible the two girls are too and there are degrees of Ta'veren - and based on the level of importance of the roles the girls play, they are Ta'veren, though not quite as much as the 3 boys - sadly the show doesn't reflect the importance of strength of the male characters.
    Though it made little sense, the build up was poor, it was still nicely executed as an alternate timeline (another age).
    I'm glad they envisioned the Age of Legends closer to what I felt it would be - futuristic (even for irl), it is meant to be advanced. Just a brief glimpse outside Lews Therin's window.

Did anyone else also consider that they might actually make Rand turn to the shadow in this show? I did, they changed so much, Egwene could have been the dragon, Rand turned tot he shadow.

Did you hear Padan Fain's statement? Some must be light and some must be shadow? I hope that isn't a change of lore ..but rather than just expanding the belief system of the shadow, which should be different from the light. If the shadow people feel that the shadow is necessary, good for them, and feel some of the Ta'veren must be shadow , good for them, but that's not what people believe on the light side. They believe the wheel turns out the heroes it needs to stop the shadow. There seems a truth to both sides, but what matters is the cycle continues.

Is there anyone that thought Nynaeve would die for a sec? Ofc not.

- - - Updated - - -

Everyone like the part where LTT wasn't The Dragon but just another Dragon Reborn, wasn't the Tamyrlin seat (who instead was a woman) and knew about the threat of the taint before hand? The female Tamyrlin was right of course and so LTT gets added to the pile of assassinated book characters.
    I see what rhole was quoting. Ofc, we have to show how misguided and wrong the men were. rhole is right is that in the original story ther ewas a conflict and two camps. But the way they show it, kinda makes the men look reckless and foolish, rather than going into the heart of darkness full of courage to do the impossible even if it means thre life.

Off course it's only a glimpse, so there is a chance to show another side that isn't negative to men. The show currently bashes men a bit too much, and they are constnatly outshone.. and i don't like that... like it's written by people who hate men.. like a red ajah Aes Sedai, is controlling the retelling :wink:

I'm legitimately starting to think a certain mod on Dmount with the initials CS is literally being paid even Jennifer sounds absolutely hopeless at this garbage but CS is continually pumping it up her and EH at this point are either beyond delusional or straight up getting paid to astroturf. Like burning out during a circle wtf is that bs the entire point of a circle is to prevent that. If 5 untrained women could just link and take out an entire horde of trollocs there would be no need for warders let alone the dragon. Just get 5 village girls and spank the dark one's forces back.

Also Sanderson apparently said he wasn't allowed to consult on 7 and 8 until the editing phase so Rafe didn't even have to overrule him this time.

What I don't get is the twisting of lore details to elevate women more, when the series is (at least for its time) already brilliantly refreshing at showing women being more than capable themselves.

Hell, two big arcs for both Rand and Perrin is to get it through their wooly skulls that the women in their lives (Faile, Maidens of the Spear etc) don't need their coddling and can handle themselves.

Not to mention Nynaeve and Egwene kicking ass and taking names left and right while Elayne politically maneuvers herself onto both the throne of Caemlyn and ... damn the name escapes me. The city Moiraine is from, also starts with a C. Cardian?

Edit: Cairhien, duuuuuuuurrrrr

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    I'm legitimately starting to think a certain mod on Dmount with the initials CS is literally being paid even Jennifer sounds absolutely hopeless at this garbage but CS is continually pumping it up her and EH at this point are either beyond delusional or straight up getting paid to astroturf. Like burning out during a circle wtf is that bs the entire point of a circle is to prevent that. If 5 untrained women could just link and take out an entire horde of trollocs there would be no need for warders let alone the dragon. Just get 5 village girls and spank the dark one's forces back.

Also Sanderson apparently said he wasn't allowed to consult on 7 and 8 until the editing phase so Rafe didn't even have to overrule him this time.
    They just want approval .. "Sanderson reviewed it" stamp.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantique View Post
    What I don't get is the twisting of lore details to elevate women more, when the series is (at least for its time) already brilliantly refreshing at showing women being more than capable themselves.
    Because ultra-feminism , even works that don't need it are being over written and skewed.

Moiraine needed to be the focus? Nope, not necessary at all - she is a huge character - a Gandalf like figure to Rand/Perrin & Mat's Frodo. Is Frodo the only important figure? No, Aragaorn /Leegolas , the Egwene/Nynaeve equivalent are major characters too that shine brilliantly in the book, with ones that come later like Elayne adding to that.

So why change it? It's not just elevating women, they pushed men down, rmeoved a lot of thingsattributed tot he men, made them seem irrelevant, useless, , weak and petulant - it is exactly what a man hating ultra feminist woman would write.

The original tale has enough epic fantasy and intrigue to sufficiently rival Game of thrones and Lord of the Rings.. but it's charm is the lreltability of the characters in these extraordinary epic situations.

It hwas teh feel of Star wars, Lord of the Rings and Gmae of thrones rolled in one with a better balance. .. none of their changes were necessary - not the extent they made them - the excuse of time and budget is b/s. You can make changes for those, but those changes we saw? Nope, those are agenda driven.. it chagnes the wheel of time from a series that appeals to all, with an air of realism via the characters (if not the mythology - it is fantasy afterall) to a wet dream power trip for man hating dominatrix ultra feminist types.

End result? It please a very very small group immensely, and is somewhat okay to the majority of the rest of the world. Men may watch it if they're bored, they won't like it like the Witcher or GoT.. women will somewhat enjoy it, but weak men have never been attractive to the majority of women, strong or not. Just like men enjoy seeing women shine, so to do women enjoy seeing men shine..

The manhating crowd is what gets off on this imbalance. So they shift from equality to inequality.

Jordan's works was written by him and his wife, she was his chief editor, and when he got sick, she penned 7 to 11 mainly or at least most of the remaining books till Sanderson took over to finish the last ones.

The interactions between the sexes felt real, , timeless, they didn't need to fit our stupid social engineering /evangelism done by nutters who've lostall sense of reality

Hell, two big arcs for both Rand and Perrin is to get it through their wooly skulls that the women in their lives (Faile, Maidens of the Spear etc) don't need their coddling and can handle themselves.

Not to mention Nynaeve and Egwene kicking ass and taking names left and right while Elayne politically maneuvers herself onto both the throne of Caemlyn and ... damn the name escapes me. The city Moiraine is from, also starts with a C. Cardian?

We who read the books know this, and how much weaker and less enjoyable the changes make the whole project.

But let us also be fair, while it isn't the best work, it has its appeal and a few things were done quite well too. It's okay for people who don't mind shallow characters, little explanation and love effects and magic types. It has some good adrenaline pushes and makes enough sense to not be totally lost. When you know the books, you are shocked how much is cut, but there are some things added that made me smile.

As I said, it would make a certain minority female group very happy, and be mediocre to the vast majority of the rest of us. Better than average even since so much tv is full of junk (always has been) with shallow plots and poor explanations, relying on talent of great actors and artists, managers to actually make it work rather than those who hack at the story. to self insert or preach their ideology subversively copting someone else work to do so.

Shame on the writers who did that and the show runner who approved it.. Still I can't say his work was terrible, even though what he did was utterly disgraceful to the source material. 6.5/10 for me.

Bloodsail Admiral Smallfruitbat's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    So, that was that then. The leaks were right. I've seen a couple of reaction videos, can't even bring myself to watch the episode. I'm sure the Twitter screechers are patting themselves on the back and celebrating Saint Rafe for his services to their cause.

Haaaa....HAAAA.....That is my reaction after watching episode. Holy moly, this is worse than Shanara chronicles. This is so cheap that cheap wants it name back.

HAAA...Well this is good bye. Good bye Harriet. Hope you milk it for some more money. I have seen CW shows with better story.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't stress yourself. In this new turning, Dragon is a thing that turns up all the time! You are Dragon reborn, you are dragon reborn, you are dragon reborn!

Entire dialog between LTT and that WOMAN was meant to demean men and they even demoted him! WTF Dragon Reborn was even doing in that age! Why would anyone call him Dragon Reborn in that age! This director is aiming for people with IQ less than 50.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post

LOl..Nothing is big deal. Perrin being a sissy is not a big deal. Lan doing nothing is not a big deal. Rand wiggling and ....is not a big deal. Loial talking about leaf and getting stabbed a man his size is not a big deal..Egwene bringing a dead woman back thanks to power of love is not a big deal.

Nothing is a big deal! Rejoice! When we accept that nothing is big deal, we truly can elevate the series!
    Last edited by jdbond; 2021-12-24 at 12:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbond View Post
    Haaaa....HAAAA.....That is my reaction after watching episode. Holy moly, this is worse than Shanara chronicles. This is so cheap that cheap wants it name back.

I wouldn't go that far, but this does equally make me not want to watch season 2. I am happy I watched season 1 but it was a slog.

the only thing I can think is this is just another turning of the wheel this isn't an adaptation of the the early books, maybe loosely, but it feels very different, you have really got to separate the books from this show to have interest. And even then its something, as someone who has read the books, that i find very hard to do.
    Last edited by Orby; 2021-12-24 at 12:13 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

I don't care about how it's different than the books or women power or whatever. I enjoyed the show till now, but the last two episodes really make me wonder.

The great buildup for the final (and first) confrontation with the "dark one", the quest to find who is the dragon. Then Rand just goes "oh it's me", and Moraine: "ah, ok, let's go". They go, the bad guy doesn't even kill her (an thus allowing her to put his plans at risk, not that this side plot had any influence on anything), and Rand without any training or simply further knowledge deals with it.

I feels just like Luke would have actually killed Darth Vader on Dagobah instead of just some force vision.

And if five unexperienced "magic" women can stop - or rather eradicate - an army five times larger than anyone has ever faced there, why bother building or sending an army in the first place. And even worse: First sacrificing all men trying to contain them conventionally.
    You might expect some who is a thousands of years old sorcerer himself to anticipate such things and have a defense against that instead of sending your army into their doom.

Generally it feels like they were surprised that it's already the season's finale. It really felt disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I wouldn't go that far, but this does equally make me not want to watch season 2. I am happy I watched season 1 but it was a slog.

the only thing I can think is this is just another turning of the wheel this isn't an adaptation of the the early books, maybe loosely, but it feels very different, you have really got to separate the books from this show to have interest. And even then its something, as someone who has read the books, that i find very hard to do.

Again, its not the changes but how badly they have been done it! And they have done it with a malice. Rafe is bragging about "changing" the story to appeal to broader audience. Audience of what? Low IQ women? Every episode has dozens and dozens of plot-holes. Men are nothing but idiotic sidekick. Dialogues are dumb. Acting is bad. Character development is awful. What bar did this moron set? People here debate to death about "new turning of wheel"! Like it is a perfect excuse to creating this awful show. Witcher has a brand new story-line. It is even poorly written. But it excels everywhere else. This guy has not done anything right! Name one highlight of WOT! Unless Wokeness is a highlight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbond View Post
    Again, its not the changes but how badly they have been done it! And they have done it with a malice. Rafe is bragging about "changing" the story to appeal to broader audience. Audience of what? Low IQ women? Every episode has dozens and dozens of plot-holes. Men are nothing but idiotic sidekick. Dialogues are dumb. Acting is bad. Character development is awful. What bar did this moron set? People here debate to death about "new turning of wheel"! Like it is a perfect excuse to creating this awful show. Witcher has a brand new story-line. It is even poorly written. But it excels everywhere else. This guy has not done anything right! Name one highlight of WOT! Unless Wokeness is a highlight.
    People debate turning of the wheel are not doing it hide the fact that is bad, because no one is debating that, as an adaptation it failed. I think its just trying to find a way that this actually fits in any universe at all and its sad because I was pumped when I saw the trailers, the casting is for once one of the highlights to a show. I generally like the casting of the characters (for the most part)

It just feels like the studio was of two minds, like they wanted to do Wheel of Time but also wanted to do their own thing, so they said fuck it and mashed the two ideas together and now we have this.

To even think about this hurts my head. One of the reasons I liked Wheel of Time as a kid growing up in my teens was that it wasnt like other fantasy that catered to the male mind, I mean it still did, but it broadened them to see fantasy differently. like as you said the series was already semi-female empowering, I don't understand why they have gone this route.

You know you have these grifter/right wingers who whine on YouTube and create hours of videos about 'feminism killing movies', or dem SJdubs are killing ma childhood' and whatever else they're whining about today. It feels like this show was written by one of them trying to make fun of how they view someone would write the show.

I am not really mad either, because I saw years ago that trying to make this book series into a live action piece was a bad idea. and I am sure the show has its fans and that's good for them, if it gets more eyes onto the books then I cannot complain.
    Last edited by Orby; 2021-12-24 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    People debate turning of the wheel are not doing it hide the fact that is bad, because no one is debating that, as an adaptation it failed. I think its just trying to find a way that this actually fits in any universe at all and its sad because I was pumped when I saw the trailers, the casting is for once one of the highlights to a show. I generally like the casting of the characters (for the most part)

It just feels like the studio was of two minds, like they wanted to do Wheel of Time but also wanted to do their own thing, so they said fuck it and mashed the two ideas together and now we have this.
    Oh there are definitely people claiming it hasn't failed as an adapt just go to the two reddit subs or dmount.

Elayne inherits Andor, and Rand gives her Cairhien.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Oh there are definitely people claiming it hasn't failed as an adapt just go to the two reddit subs or dmount.
    Ido not browse any forms of social media like twitter or reddit. I have very limited sections of the internet I go to if I want to discuss stuff. I do so for my own mental stability. But as I said earlier, if people love the show, more power to them I hope it gets more people to read the books, in the end its a win for the books. I am pretty sure Robert Jordan's estate is rocking up some cash

just watched the finale. As a your standard popcorn fantasy story, it worked. I'm still not sure who ran away with all the money they should have put into making the show look good, but the world was decently set up and the plot was entertaining.

As a drama it mostly failed for me. Just too much exposition and character shouting their motivations at each other and too little character building or interesting situations where those characters had the chance to shine. And the direction seems to have been: "pick one face. Make that face, whenever you see a camera.". I'm kind of sad for the actors, that must have been pretty boring.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

"Do you know what that lack-wit Seaghan's done now, girl?" Thom said, looking down at her. "He's taken on a pack of louts who call themselves 'players.' They walk around pretending to be Rogosh Eagle-eye, and Blaes, and Gaidal Cain, and...Aaagh! They hang a scrap of painted canvas behind them, supposed to make the audience believe these fools are in Matuchin Hall, or the high passes of the Mountains of Dhoom. I make the listener see every banner, smell every battle, feel every emotion. I make them believe they are Gaidal Cain. Seaghan will have his hall torn down around his ears if he puts this lot on to follow me."

Rafe = Seaghan
    ------ because this is what we have now. A cheap fake.

Quote Originally Posted by Smallfruitbat View Post
    So, that was that then. The leaks were right. I've seen a couple of reaction videos, can't even bring myself to watch the episode. I'm sure the Twitter screechers are patting themselves on the back and celebrating Saint Rafe for his services to their cause.
    You should watch it, and accept it for what it is, it's sad, and disappointing on the one hand, but otherwise, it plays like most TB shows, more on the CW level than on the HBO/NEtflix level though sadly.

Mat and Perrin aren't really nailed in the series. Rand is a lot closer to the books, although they make him too angry and too petulant, where in the first book he was much more likeable, and you are later on in subsequent books, led to understand his pressure/burden - and while he is clearly quite stubborn, at least that makes his behaviour understandable - at least it prevented me from being totally put off him in the later novels.

Mat does greatly develop later on, but the initial Matt is a prankster, excitable and can't keep his mouth shut, he almost ends up blabbing most things.. sort of like Peregrin Took does in LotR - that element is missing in the series. AS is his childish boysih prankster demeanour.

Poorly portrayed, but the actor does a stunning job with the darker more cynical Matt, which is more matt post Shadar Logoth.

Perrin is the worse, the Perrin in the show is just not likeable at all, I don't know about women, but as a bloke, he is the worse main character in the series, in the book he really shines.. the wolf thing feels so special, whiles in the series it's like wtf .. even the contrast of wolf pacifist rather than coming off as unique, just feels stupid. The character has no balls. But then his ultra feminist - "down with the patriarchy" writers did this, giving Egwene more shine at the expense of actually developing a main character.

At the end of season 1, you cannot see the relevance of Perrin - nothing special outside a gimmick ability that doesn't seem to have any benefits cept for fx. In fact, watching the show, until the Rand reveal, the boys seem totally irrelevant. The ones that seem important are the girls.

The Moiraine focus and the other changes, simply don't bring out why we have all those characters there or help us to understand.. it breaks their own story.

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    You should watch it, and accept it for what it is
    Or you know, don't watch it and send a message to producers that we won't just blindly swallow any tripe they try to shove down our throats. If you're not happy with a product but you keep buying it, what do you think will happen in the future: you'll get better product, or you'll get worse product?

Yea...if you're not liking it then you don't add to the viewership.