5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxina View Post
    Glad they got green light for season 3. Enjoyed S1 even how much they disregarded the books. It's fun with a new interpretation of the series, and I still have the original books to return to if I want to enjoy the series in its original form again.

Really curious about how they will go forth from the end of Season 1.

And the fact stands; its succesful, it got views, if not they wouldn't have green lighted season 3 BEFORE season 2 release. Fans are having the tits in a twist over the changes, but it does seem like the majority enjoys it. Which is great, and hopefully it will lead a lot of new fans to the books, so they can get to read/listen to the original works and be blown away and sucked into the fantasy genre as many of us has been.
    I said this before and I will say it again: Forgetting this is supposed to be WoT it is an ok'ish show at best, but that might be enough to get decent numbers. If I keep in mind this is supposed to be the main WoT storyline, I find this an abomination. And no, not because of any of the added diversity. Yes, that is not faithful to the books but that's just nitpicking at unimportant stuff when they are fucking butchering the world, the story and the main characters.

Hell, Rafe has basically admitted they are not doing the WoT story at all. One of the reasons he stated at the time was that they cast Rosamund Pike, then realised her character was absent for pretty long swats in the books. Oops we can't bench one of our big names that is supposed to be a draw to the show. It just shows that even Rafe himself doesn't trust the story he is trying to tell to be compelling enough for people to come back for more.

It gets even worse for some other changes, the reason stated for why they added the entire suicidal warder part was "Because we obviously had to"... No, you really did not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Yeah the insular nature of Two Rivers was definitely shown by having every culture in the world there :P
    Ohhh. Gotcha.

It's another "brown people in my white fantasy" thing. Hokay.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    Ohhh. Gotcha.

No? Have you actually read the books? Every culture in the world is represented but they are originally broken apart due to the whole breaking thing. Rand brings them together. The world is fractured for a narrative reason. One of the big things about the two rivers being insular is it has allowed the "old blood" to grow strong. There are ton of women who can channel there where it's extremely rare in the rest of the world. That's a bit less believable when literally every race on earth is represented in this tiny isolated village. Hokay.

My question is rhetorical because I know you haven't or you would know this.

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    No? Have you actually read the books?
    My question is rhetorical because I know you haven't or you would know this.
    It was obvious when this was said;
    Moraine's speech was included in its entirety.
    I posted it right below that and nothing was said.

Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    Like how Rand and Aviendha are supposed to look like possibly being related? Certainly won't feel that way when you watch the show...

Why does Hollywood hate gingers so much?
    The south park meme... no really. They cater to the lowest common denominator. It's why it's common in shows for characters to scream out their motivations now.

Like how Rand and Aviendha are supposed to look like possibly being related? Certainly won't feel that way when you watch the show...

It is very weird how many redheads get replaced in both movies and TV compared to the source material.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tentim View Post
    The south park meme... no really. They cater to the lowest common denominator. It's why it's common in shows for characters to scream out their motivations now.
    That makes me feel angry

Ohhh. Gotcha.

I mean if you have read the books you'd know every race would be represented. The most successful civilization by far is mix race and led by a black woman. The predominantly black Sea Folk are shown to be far more stable and successful than any of the Mainland civilizations. The mainlands themselves would have complexions ranging from east asian to arabs and latinos. But yes, the white writer who wrote this more than three decades ago did start with a white village. Go a few books forward and you'd have a wide selection of races in your main cast. They could easily have Saldeans and thus Faile be arabs or Jewish and she'd be in half the episodes. Tuon comes later as a young black woman. No one has had any issue with the casting of Lan because I'd probably think of Malkieri as Japanese or Korean. You could make Min any race and it wouldn't matter because her race is not really focal to her character.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe they don't have enough options (Really you'd have to search a lot to find all the extremely tall gingers from books 4 on. The book has hundreds of them in speaking parts). Also maybe it's a make up thing?
    Last edited by Nymrohd; 2022-07-25 at 05:38 AM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

Gingers truly are the most oppressed people.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Gingers truly are the most oppressed people.
    Left handed people.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Left handed people.
    We have the brains to make up for the shorter lifespan of living in a right-handed world.

I watched the first episode last night and found it mostly enjoyable if a bit non-explanatory in a way that left me wondering what was going on and where these monsters came from. I imagine the next episode will elaborate further. But I had to come to this thread to find out why people have hated this show so much because, based on just the first episode, it seemed fairly standard fantasy fare.

After looking at just the last couple of pages I think the main issue is the overdoing it attempt at diversity. As someone who's never read the books, it wasn't off-putting to me at all but I can absolutely see how people with pre-conceived ideas of what characters look like would be upset. If I had read the books first, I'd likely be annoyed at that as well. But, as a total newcomer, this was not a problem for me other than the fact that it was obvious that it was a Many Colors of Benetton thing going on and I instinctively knew the characters had likely been race-swapped.

But, reading through this thread, I see that the diversity also presents a problem for the story, itself, in the regard that this village was supposed to be very much isolated from the wider world and that the rest of the world is indeed populated by diverse types of humans. So, it seems like the diversity was done just for the sake of upfront showing how diverse the creators are, and will sacrifice an integral part of the story. I'll be interested to see how the show resolves that, whether they just handwave it away as "every village everywhere is incredibly diverse!" or "only the white villages in the book are now diverse, but the minority kingdoms remain as they were in the book". I'm hoping for the former, fearing it's likely the latter.

Still an enjoyable story, so far. I'll reserve judgment on how important the insistence on diversity affects the actual story as I watch more. But, so long as the story is good and does not trip up on modern racial politics too much I can see myself enjoying this quite well.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    I watched the first episode last night and found it mostly enjoyable if a bit non-explanatory in a way that left me wondering what was going on and where these monsters came from. I imagine the next episode will elaborate further. But I had to come to this thread to find out why people have hated this show so much because, based on just the first episode, it seemed fairly standard fantasy fare.

After looking at just the last couple of pages I think the main issue is the overdoing it attempt at diversity. As someone who's never read the books, it wasn't off-putting to me at all but I can absolutely see how people with pre-conceived ideas of what characters look like would be upset. If I had read the books first, I'd likely be annoyed at that as well. But, as a total newcomer, this was not a problem for me other than the fact that it was obvious that it was a Many Colors of Benetton thing going on and I instinctively knew the characters had likely been race-swapped.

But, reading through this thread, I see that the diversity also presents a problem for the story, itself, in the regard that this village was supposed to be very much isolated from the wider world and that the rest of the world is indeed populated by diverse types of humans. So, it seems like the diversity was done just for the sake of upfront showing how diverse the creators are, and will sacrifice an integral part of the story. I'll be interested to see how the show resolves that, whether they just handwave it away as "every village everywhere is incredibly diverse!" or "only the white villages in the book are now diverse, but the minority kingdoms remain as they were in the book". I'm hoping for the former, fearing it's likely the latter.

Still an enjoyable story, so far. I'll reserve judgment on how important the insistence on diversity affects the actual story as I watch more. But, so long as the story is good and does not trip up on modern racial politics too much I can see myself enjoying this quite well.
    Diversity had absolutely nothing to do with why the show was bad. The problems were entirely the character development, writing, and pacing, which you'll find after episode 1.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    Diversity had absolutely nothing to do with why the show was bad. The problems were entirely the character development, writing, and pacing, which you'll find after episode 1.
    For me it was mainly pacing. The amount cut and the needless addage half way through, that added very little. I actually liked the casting (for the most part, I think there are two casting choices that I am not fond of), I think the script just gives them some bad material. As well as the fact the quality just dropped like a brick the more the show went on.

I did like Shadar Logoth portrayal in the show though. I don't like what was cut from the books but the appearance of Shadar Logoth when they arrive and the eerie presentation of the city itself is better than I imagined, and was the biggest highlight for me. Nothing has come close to wowing me as much as that after they left. :P

I mean it's just the tone, the sense of dread, I get anxiety just looking at how empty and dead it is, even the way its shot when they are on the ground, everything is out of perspective or shot from down low.it feels like the city is looming... I know I am harping on this one episode that had Shadar Logoth in but it was seriously best looking thing in the show and nothing comes close. Its probably the closest thing they got right in the show (minus the stuff that was cut from those chapter featuring Shadar Logoth of course) . lol

If ever a topic comes up. "Whats a Thing You Like in a show you hated" I would say Shadar Logoth in Wheel of Time xD
    Last edited by Orby; 2022-08-04 at 07:49 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I did like Shadar Logoth portrayal in the show though.
    I actually genuinely agree with you here, as long as you ignore the terrible pacing of them getting there and the terrible writing for how they left! =]

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually genuinely agree with you here, as long as you ignore the terrible pacing of them getting there and the terrible writing for how they left! =]
    lol yea... which was a shame, because the books really add more of the moment for Rand and Co when they are in the city. I do think the whole city should have been an episode to itself, rather than 30 minutes of the show.. but you know... pacing, gotta go fast :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

The problems were entirely the character development, writing, and pacing, which you'll find after episode 1.
    I'll definitely see since I plan on watching more. I've just been assuming based on the last few pages of this thread that the main complaint had been the casting decisions. In the first episode, at least, the only writing issue for me was that not enough was explained. I felt a bit like the show expected that I'd read the books and understood the world already.

I'll definitely see since I plan on watching more. I've just been assuming based on the last few pages of this thread that the main complaint had been the casting decisions. In the first episode, at least, the only writing issue for me was that not enough was explained. I felt a bit like the show expected that I'd read the books and understood the world already.
    Naw 1st episode was meh, think it was episode 4 or 5 that was okay, the rest are bad, and the finale is utter fucking garbage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

I have not read the books and understood what was happening so they are teling the story just fine, there is only so much you can fit into 10 episodes, ppl just like to complain about everything, the show was pretty decent and worth a watch.

The main ppl complaining are the mainly the ones that have read and enjoyed the book, but pleasing a book fan is very hard to do because no matter how a show is done they will never be completely happy.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2022-08-04 at 08:32 PM.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    I have not read the books and understood what was happening so they are teling the story just fine, there is only so much you can fit into 10 episodes, ppl just like to complain about everything, the show was pretty decent and worth a watch.
    You just love things that will probably be canceled before they're ever finished, don't you?

You just love things that will probably be canceled before they're ever finished, don't you?
    To be honest the only thing that decides whether it would be cancelled or not is how Amazon execs consider the show's performance in terms of its ROI. I don't think we have any metrics that are indicating it's going to be cancelled, especially if it's got at least 2 more seasons already greenlit.