Lol they can't even make the Aiel look homogenous at least not with the supposed Aviendah casting what a joke. Didn't know the Aiel were super open to tons of people joining them.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Lol they can't even make the Aiel look homogenous at least not with the supposed Aviendah casting what a joke. Didn't know the Aiel were super open to tons of people joining them.
    I don't know why you act surprised when it has already been established that the show is more diverse then the books. There really is no reason to rehash diversity-based arguments.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Meh. More rafing of the story people loved.

At least they didn't waste as much money ruining this property as they did with LOTR.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumble View Post
    Meh. More rafing of the story people loved.

At least they didn't waste as much money ruining this property as they did with LOTR.
    Those showrunners are ruining the semblance of TV career they thought they had. And all that for that sweet Amazon cash.

I suppose they will do just so they can finish the series with as much money as they can, cause it will be difficult for those people to find jobs again, unless heavily connected.
    /spit@Blizzard

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    Those showrunners are ruining the semblance of TV career they thought they had. And all that for that sweet Amazon cash.

I suppose they will do just so they can finish the series with as much money as they can, cause it will be difficult for those people to find jobs again, unless heavily connected.
    Hollywood is all about failing upwards these days. Doesn't help that Amazon Studios is run by someone who has clearly herself, failed upwards. Because any company that cares about success and profitability wouldn't let these talentless hacks piss away money on things that aren't drawing an audience that exceeds their programs budget.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Hollywood is all about failing upwards these days. Doesn't help that Amazon Studios is run by someone who has clearly herself, failed upwards. Because any company that cares about success and profitability wouldn't let these talentless hacks piss away money on things that aren't drawing an audience that exceeds their programs budget.
    How did she fail upward? It is crazy the things people concoct to try and justify their silly hate of a show, studio, or "leader".

Over the past two decades, Salke has established herself as one of the most prolific executives in the industry, being a major force behind some of television's most successful comedy and drama series, including This Is Us, Modern Family, The Blacklist, Superstore, and The Good Place, as well as Dick Wolf's hugely successful Chicago franchise.

Prior to joining Amazon, Salke was President of NBC Entertainment for seven consecutive years, where she was responsible for comedy and drama development, current programming, casting and diversity programming initiatives, as well as the entirety of Universal Television operations. Salke served as Executive Vice President of Creative Affairs at Twentieth Century Fox Television, after joining Twentieth Century Fox as Senior Vice President of Drama Development in 2002. Salke began her career at Aaron Spelling Productions in the early 1990s.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

And I guess they're on book 4 in season 2?

Increasing the pace and mashing the big scenes together is a sign of showrunners who aren't confident in their series. You need some small stakes episodes to let the characters grow and the plot to build. If it's done well it can be the some of the best parts of the series, like the Hound and Arya moments in Game of Thrones. These guys are going to have Rand taking tear (climax of the third book) happen sometime in the middle of season 2, after the Seanchan invasion and before the giant battle with Asmodean in Rhuidean (or else they're just skipping huge swaths of plot).
    Last edited by SpaghettiMonk; 2023-04-30 at 02:41 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    Season 2 covers plot from The Great Hunt (book 2) and The Dragon Reborn (Book 3).

Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post

Increasing the pace and mashing the big scenes together is a sign of showrunners who aren't confident in their series. You need some small stakes episodes to let the characters grow and the plot to build. If it's done well it can be the some of the best parts of the series, like the Hound and Arya moments in Game of Thrones. These guys are going to have Rand taking tear (climax of the third book) happen sometime in the middle of season 2, after the Seanchan invasion and before the giant battle with Asmodean in Rhuidean (or else they're just skipping huge swaths of plot).
    I think they are legit going to entirely skip Egwene being leashed the only people they have defending them now would start absolutely spitting venom at seeing a young black woman collared and leashed. We already know that those still defending this trash don't have a clue about the actual source material.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I think they are legit going to entirely skip Egwene being leashed the only people they have defending them now would start absolutely spitting venom at seeing a young black woman collared and leashed. We already know that those still defending this trash don't have a clue about the actual source material.
    I won’t defend it as a good direct adaptation but I’ll defend it as an decent not great fantasy show or a very loose/based on adaption and I’m all for seeing every moment of Egwene leashes and even extending it a bit given that Matt likely wont be as big as he was in the second book given that they pretty much just wrote him off in the first season.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

15+ Year Old Account
    They have already changed them to a gag and gorget. There is no reason to start inventing an argument about people you don't like just so you have something to rage about. Just move on from the show instead of going out of your way to get angry.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2023-05-01 at 01:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    I don't know why you act surprised when it has already been established that the show is more diverse then the books. There really is no reason to rehash diversity-based arguments.
    The books were plenty diverse. The whole point about the Aiel was that they stood out due to their appearance so much so that Rand kept on being mistaken for one. Remove that and the whole thing about Rand might as well not exist.

Yay, more ragemode posting about how bad the series is, to supplement my entertainment along with the series that was a total hit during its first season!

Queue the utter cognitive dissonance that is the people on this forum talking about tv series and their relative popularity!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    The books were plenty diverse. The whole point about the Aiel was that they stood out due to their appearance so much so that Rand kept on being mistaken for one. Remove that and the whole thing about Rand might as well not exist.
    Right. The show did remove it so it is silly to rehash it. Some of the people here will still be complaining about diversity with Season 3.

Looking forward to it.

Has some flaws, sure, but it's highly entertaining and i hope it sticks along for its planned duration.

Quote Originally Posted by Delekii View Post
    Yay, more ragemode posting about how bad the series is, to supplement my entertainment along with the series that was a total hit during its first season!

Queue the utter cognitive dissonance that is the people on this forum talking about tv series and their relative popularity!
    It's an absolutely terrible adaptation of the Wheel of Time books, that doesn't make it a bad show and obviously doesn't prevent it from being a hit, but it's butchering the source material.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Right. The show did remove it so it is silly to rehash it. Some of the people here will still be complaining about diversity with Season 3.
    The show is rehashing the bad decision, season after season, so people are going to rehash the complaint about why they don't like it. It doesn't mean they are "raging". I'm not "raging". I just don't care for the show. Forced diversity is one of the reasons, but for me a minor complaint.

If the only issue was the forced diversity, I would still watch the show, but the writing is pretty horrible, and the plot is a mess with how they are trying to follow the book while flippantly changing whatever they feel like, so plot holes and contradictions abound. So that's what makes it unenjoyable for me.

But yeah, the diversity breaks immersion for me. If you look at our own Earth a few hundred years back, there was little to no diversity in any small isolated area on the planet. The books had tons of diversity, but like our world, the differences were associated to geographical regions. With only horse travel and walking, isolated people aren't going to have diverse representation from every continent. So as I noted, it breaks immersion when the show can't explain why an isolated village, that's been isolated for centuries, is completely diverse. Would have been like see Wakanda with a bunch of Europeans and Asians. Or seeing Ip Man with a bunch of Europeans and Africans. I would have had the same complaint, because it would not have made sense.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    It's an absolutely terrible adaptation of the Wheel of Time books, that doesn't make it a bad show and obviously doesn't prevent it from being a hit, but it's butchering the source material.
    Many adaptions do. Get over it. Furthermore, there are plenty, PLENTY of people in this very thread that think that it changing the source material absolutely does make it a bad show and not popular, despite the obvious evidence to the contrary!

Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    The show is rehashing the bad decision, season after season, so people are going to rehash the complaint about why they don't like it. It doesn't mean they are "raging". I'm not "raging". I just don't care for the show. Forced diversity is one of the reasons, but for me a minor complaint.

If the only issue was the forced diversity, I would still watch the show, but the writing is pretty horrible, and the plot is a mess with how they are trying to follow the book while flippantly changing whatever they feel like, so plot holes and contradictions abound. So that's what makes it unenjoyable for me.

But yeah, the diversity breaks immersion for me. If you look at our own Earth a few hundred years back, there was little to no diversity in any small isolated area on the planet. The books had tons of diversity, but like our world, the differences were associated to geographical regions. With only horse travel and walking, isolated people aren't going to have diverse representation from every continent. So as I noted, it breaks immersion when the show can't explain why an isolated village, that's been isolated for centuries, is completely diverse. Would have been like see Wakanda with a bunch of Europeans and Asians. Or seeing Ip Man with a bunch of Europeans and Africans. I would have had the same complaint, because it would not have made sense.
    Yeah, it kind of was a large part of the series - prior to the events of the book, the setting was very diverse but everyone largely kept to their own. Especially the Aiel. The Two Rivers had all but dropped off the map and had pretty much no idea they were part of Andor, and even the tax collectors of Andor had forgotten them.

About the only really multicultural parts of the world were the White Tower and the Whitecloaks, and neither of them were exactly the best examples for it.

The events of the book and Rand and Co. travelling around broke those restraints and showed that maybe working together and stopping being insular was the best way to go. And, surprise, it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    The events of the book and Rand and Co. travelling around broke those restraints and showed that maybe working together and stopping being insular was the best way to go. And, surprise, it was.
    And to be honest, that would be an example of good story telling. Start with a weakness and show growth. You see a lot of examples of how story tellers are failing at this in modern story telling. Protagonists start off with no character flaws, barely run into any challenges or to say, easily overcome any challenges, and due to that, there's no character growth. No character arc. And that makes for boring characters and a boring story.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis