Page 77 of 77 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    14nm seems to be problematic for everyone. There's a reason why Nvidia stuck with 16nm. The 14nm makes smaller chips, but it's such early tech that it doesn't give much benefits. Even Intel which are ahead of everyone else in this area, are barely able to get any benefits from this. Yea Skylake is better, but not a 22nm to 14nm difference better. Why AMD sticks with 14nm? Probably because the more they use it, the more they can refine it. Nvidia clearly had issues with 16nm from the start but seems to have been corrected and we're seeing more 16nm cards on shelves.

The RX 460 was meant to be competitive against the 750 Ti, but likely the GTX 950 will come down in price to match this. When the GTX 1050 is released I can't see the RX 460 being relevant. Assuming the 1050 is $110 and not $150 or $200.

There are also 6 pin GTX 950's, so it's nothing to go crazy over. The TDP is not something that needs to be worried. Especially when these cards never go past 65C. The issue is the RX 470 is $40 for a lot more performance.
    http://www.hardwarezone.com.my/revie...0-power-people

There are GTX 950s that don't require 6 pin power connectors ?

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Got tired of this bullshit launch and how it hasn't gotten any better. On top of this, prices in Canada are marked up just enough to be a pain in the ass especially when you factor in the irregular pricing in general. I ended up buying a 290X Windforce 3X for $225 which still has over a year remaining on the warranty that'll tide me over until the next time since it stacks equal to or better than the 470 in most 1080p/1440p games which is what I originally had my eye on.

Can finally put this snipe hunt to rest. No more waiting on nowinstock alerts, refreshing AMD subreddit for potential sale call outs, and being crushed by those which are in stock to be grossly over priced.

I'm happy.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2016-08-09 at 04:15 AM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

10+ Year Old Account
    I found out the reason why 480's are hard to find is because of Ethereum Mining which is the new BitCoin I think. It seems the RX 480 is really good at farming ether, which is why the RX 480's are bought up quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened to the RX 470. Their efficiency makes them a great upgrade for farmers. Very bad news for gamers.

10+ Year Old Account
    AMD cards tend to be great at mining

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    AMD cards tend to be great at mining
    Mm, can still remember the 290x's going for 1k++ because farmers were buying them like crazy.

No clue why AMD released the RX 480 when the RX 470 can equal it in performance and sometimes beat it.

The RX 470 is cheaper and can reach 1060 levels in performance in select games. If Cross-fire was better supported it can reach 1070 levels.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    No clue why AMD released the RX 480 when the RX 470 can equal it in performance and sometimes beat it.
    Wonder if they are pretty much the same card but with different core clocks. The 470 is just behind the 480 in that video and obviously beats it when OCed, doubt anything else is changed tbh. Also, that crossfire boost...like almost doubled with some games.

I guess the initial rarity of the 480s is a blessing in disguise.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Wonder if they are pretty much the same card but with different core clocks. The 470 is just behind the 480 in that video and obviously beats it when OCed, doubt anything else is changed tbh. Also, that crossfire boost...like almost doubled with some games.

I guess the initial rarity of the 480s is a blessing in disguise.
    They have the same GPU, but the 470 uses the defective units with disabled parts which allows it to clock slightly higher.